Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:31 pm 

Hello Ozdat.com,

This is my first post here and my this ute is my first Datsun, so please go easy on me.

I have done alot of reading on the subject of 1200 (B110, B120) disc brake conversions but I'm still confused. Intially I want a fairly standard ute, keeping the A12 for now and just giving it a paint job and a retrim. The ute has yet to pass a Qld roadworthy inspection I would like to do a disc conversion before I have it registered. So I need a disc conversion that is legal but is also a good platform to build on in the future since the appeal of a 720kg car powered by a 200kw+ CA18DET is a little hard to resist.

So far this is what I've put together.
1. 120Y (B210) strut with disc is a straight swap. This does not seem to affect track or camber.
What size strut tube does 76-79 120Y use? 45 or 51?
What upgrade options use this strut/hub?

2. Sunny (B310) strut, brakes, steering arm, control arm, 1200 spring and spring perches and raidius rods. However I haven't been able to work out whether this setup changes your track/camber.
Is the A12 Sunny strut the same as the 120Y?
What upgrade options are available for the strut/hub?

3. Stanza (A10) struts with girlock brakes, steering arm, control arm with 1200 spring and spring perches, 120Y raidius rods and the strut tubes need shortening with the fitment of 240K cartriges.
I've discovered these are rare, I haven't been able to find a wrecker in the Brisbane area that has these.
Does this setup gives you 30mm wider track if you want nuetral (stock) camber?
What upgrades are available for this strut/hub?

4. 180B/200B (B610/B810) struts and brakes, stanza/sunny steering arms and control arms and 120Y raidius rods.
Are the Stanza pre-Girlock struts/hubs the same as the 200B?
Does the 180B/200B strut need shortening?

Has anyone done a 1200 disc conversion that is Qld DOT legal?
Were there any obsticles with regard to getting it registered?
What setup is the best as a starting platform?

What is the easiest brake booster to fit with the best results? 120Y or Sunny or is there a combo ie 120Y booster & 180B M/C? (I don't mind drilling an extra 2 holes in my firewall)

Has anyone got any of these parts for sale?

Sorry for a lengthy post but I like getting it right the first time.

Please help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:59 pm 

the bold bits should help
1200stevo wrote:
Hello Ozdat.com,

This is my first post here and my this ute is my first Datsun, so please go easy on me.

I have done alot of reading on the subject of 1200 (B110, B120) disc brake conversions but I'm still confused. Intially I want a fairly standard ute, keeping the A12 for now and just giving it a paint job and a retrim. The ute has yet to pass a Qld roadworthy inspection I would like to do a disc conversion before I have it registered. So I need a disc conversion that is legal but is also a good platform to build on in the future since the appeal of a 720kg car powered by a 200kw+ CA18DET is a little hard to resist.

So far this is what I've put together.
1. 120Y (B210) strut with disc is a straight swap. This does not seem to affect track or camber.
What size strut tube does 76-79 120Y use? 45 or 51?
all 120ys use 45mm strut tube but the later struts apparently have a larger stub axle and obviously a different hub to go with the larger bearings and such that it would use

What upgrade options use this strut/hub?
most common upgrade for these struts is S13 silvia disc and caliper, you can buy a caliper bracket that will make the s13 caliper bolt striaght on. plenty of info on datsun1200.com

2. Sunny (B310) strut, brakes, steering arm, control arm, 1200 spring and spring perches and raidius rods. However I haven't been able to work out whether this setup changes your track/camber.
will give you a 15mm track increase either side of the car, with stock spring you may have possitive camber

Is the A12 Sunny strut the same as the 120Y?
A12 sunny strut is different to 120y, has a larger strut tube. but the stub axle is the same as later 120y struts im pretty sure and stock sunny brakes are nearly the same as 120y one...slightly bigger i think

What upgrade options are available for the strut/hub?
wouldnt really bother with these struts

3. Stanza (A10) struts with girlock brakes, steering arm, control arm with 1200 spring and spring perches, 120Y raidius rods and the strut tubes need shortening with the fitment of 240K cartriges.
shortened with 240Z inserts not 240k, as if you put 240k inserts in it becomes a 240k strut with smaller spring perches. and is easier to get the 240k struts to begin with

I've discovered these are rare, I haven't been able to find a wrecker in the Brisbane area that has these.
these struts shouldnt be rare, just that datsuns arent all that common anymore

yes the setp gives a 30mm track increase all up and with a decent ride height you will have neg camber

plenty of upgrades available from bolt on 240k brakes to MADDAT rx7 4 piston calipers and 280ish mm discs. im running R32 calipers and r33 discs on these struts

4. 180B/200B (B610/B810) struts and brakes, stanza/sunny steering arms and control arms and 120Y raidius rods.
gives same track incease as stanza ans sunny struts, as your using the same control arms and stuff to put these struts in. and thats where the track increase mostly comes from

Are the Stanza pre-Girlock struts/hubs the same as the 200B?
pre girlock stanza struts are much like sunny struts, which are much like 180b struts. 180b struts being the better choice
girlock stanza struts are nearly the same as 200b struts, except that 200b struts run a shorter insert and larger spring perch

Does the 180B/200B strut need shortening?
that depends on your ride height, for most people they should be fine. but if your car is actually low then 240z inserts are a better option

180b and 200b struts are quite different from each other
200b struts take the same brakes as stanza struts
180b struts take commodore calipers and volvo calipers, most common brake upgrade being magna 274mm discs with VR/VS commodore calipers

Has anyone done a 1200 disc conversion that is Qld DOT legal?
any straight bolt on stuff should be able to be engineered pretty easily, so should apply if you have a well made caliper bracket to adapt other calipers

Were there any obsticles with regard to getting it registered?
if its all engineered it will be fine, but most brake upgrades wont really be noticed. 120y struts and discs should also be fine as they are the same brakes that came on 1200s

What setup is the best as a starting platform?
depends on how big you want to go with the brakes and what wheels you want to run

What is the easiest brake booster to fit with the best results? 120Y or Sunny or is there a combo ie 120Y booster & 180B M/C? (I don't mind drilling an extra 2 holes in my firewall)
LA lancer brake boosters are supposed to be a straight bolt on and use the normal datsun master cylinder bolt spacing front and rear, so stock mast wil fit on it. and then there are a range of other datsun master cylinders that use the same bolt spacing if you want a bigger bore master
120y V sunny, 120y/180b booster will fit easier as it is a smaller booster but you have to drill 4 new holes and enlarge the centre hole to make it fit whereas with the sunny booster you can just make up an adaptor to suit the stock bolt pattern and then only have to enlarge the centre hole (thats what ive got on my car)

Has anyone got any of these parts for sale?
could probably find most of the above parts pretty easily in the classifieds section as none of it is reall rare

Sorry for a lengthy post but I like getting it right the first time.

Please help.