Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: dilemmaz - new project.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:58 pm 

okay - i got something REAL wicked in mind.

had it for some time, but now there are a few options.

none of it is datto related, but it is Perth related and i'm hoping there's some WA crazies out there that can help.

1x 13b turbo - ex cosmo/ S6 RX7. no varying this engine choice. NCOP guidelines rate this engine at 2616cc.

car?

something ex AWD i can turn into RWD. i want a real sleeper - like something no-one is going to think twice about talking to me at the servo over.

choice?

now hold in there. all these cars are 1000-1200kg from factory so all are legal for a turbo rotor with new NCOP guidelines.

1.6L GXL Suzuki Swift sedan (some came AWD - 1990-91) - 900kg with AWD running gear so allows an engine of 2475cc (12A turbo). no chance of being noticed even with rims and a cannon. hard to find locally but available for import from Japan with the 15y rule. good handling, even with RWD, brake/suspension upgrades galore. just imagine getting wasted by this.

[ img ]

Holden Cruze (for a real good laugh - they're AWD too) - seriously, would you expect it? available locally - resonably cheap ($6-7k from auction), late year (2002), parts and niceties (ac, ps, etc). still, way too high for handling but perfect for drags (high COG = gasser principle = good traction).

[ img ]

Lada Niva - ( :lol: ....wait....nah, :lol: ) - 1200kg from factory allows a 3.6L turbo engine under new NCOP rules. insane but good choice on paper. no qualms about cutting it up. seeing one modded though, while a good laugh and a lot of cheap fun, will still attract attention - good and bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEGKkUGECxU - can't tell me this aint cool on some level.

[ img ]

Laser TX3 - 1085kg from factory allows a 2712cc turbocharged engine. may attract attention with ricers - people expect them to be fast(ish) anyway. however, parts / upgrades galore and a 2dr shell for increased rigidity. they look half decent with a good set of rims and a stock bodykit. and i'm replacing a mazda engine with a mazda engine so may sneak into some standard street classes for drags and circuit racing.

[ img ]

imported Suzuki Cultus (AWD swift) - at only 880kg with AWD running gear, the biggest engine i can fit is 2420cc turbocharged (so 12A turbo). may attract attention being a swift. however, the 2dr shell is appealing, the engine/gearbox packages alone sell for $2000 upwards in oz so there's a good refund off my initial purchase price. this is a serious option for me, however the mix'n'match engine package may eliminate me from what i may or may not want to do with the car in terms of competition.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Toyota tercel SR5 wagon - at 1025kg i can fit a 2818cc turbo engine. ugly as sin, prob more of a joke than the lada. but the RWD capability is there and the sleeper theme could be quite a buzz. wagons are handy for slicks and spare parts too.

[ img ]

imagine one of these riceburners lighting up the rears.

i'm NOT - i repeat - i'm NOT giving one iota of a sh1t about looks. don;t tell me one is better than the other because it looks better.

cars off the cards.

early 90s celica GT4 - 1UZFE works better.
N14 GTiR plusar - i think i'd be shown the exit if i stuffed a 13B into one of these....but it does make great sense...
full chassis vehicles like Jimnys, Sierras etc.

plan?

[ img ]

remove the front diff, engine, gearbox and transfer case. place in nearest skip.
fit up an 2way Mazda or R200 Nissan LSD to the arse end - will need custom driveshafts.
the low COG of the rotor combined with the short depth should prove to be attractive for F/R weight distribution.

basically, i want an RX7/Cosmo engine, which means the TX3 really comes into it's own here being a) allowed legally to fit one and b) being of the same family of engine. This opens up more doors with racing guidelines however changing from AWD to 2WD may be seen as okay as i don;t believe there are any rules regarding having LESS driving wheels....? correct me if i'm wrong.

so, who like using an angle grinder? :thumbsup:

***OUT OF ACTION***

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:14 pm 

Pro wrote:
so, who like using an angle grinder? :thumbsup:

ooh ooh ooh ooh

Me :giggle:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:19 pm 

Gotta say I like the idea of the swift, but that's because of the looks. For sheer 'WTF :?: ' I'd probably opt for the Tercel
Why does it need to be an AWD model ?
Can't see it fitting into any circuit racing class, except sports sedan. Capacity is too big to be in Under 2L sports cars, so same deal with Sprints and hill cilmbs, you'd be in 'open', up against trick Formula Vees and 500Hp Fiat Arbaths (if it can be repaired), but that may work out.
Sounds like good fun either way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:31 pm 
Guru

Pro, you never cease to amaze. :P

Mate get serious, like get a front cut gtir
& fit the whole sub assy into the arse of a mighty boy. :roll:

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:08 am 

Lada Niva FTW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:35 am 

Aaron your a bloody poof! Do it to a datto!

Ohhh wow sleeper whoopty do! What about a shitbox 120Y thats a good sleeper. :blahblah:

But if you do put it in a FWD setup like a swift or whatever would you run it north south or east west.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:49 am 

so where's the RWD gearbox going, nearly all those ars came with an east/west engin position with a minor transfer case and no firewall recess for the gearbox.
If you are serious, having the enginecapacity is only part of the issue, what about all the firewall mods required to make an east/west engine bay suit North/South?

choosing the AWD version makes sense for the rear diff setup, but with power like what you plan, i dont think most of those diffs will handle the first outing, let alone any sort of power

Subaru 1800/brumby? have the rear wheel drive gearbox config?
Suzuki Vitara?
Lancer with evo AWD rear end stitched into place? still gearbox issues

I've driven an AWD turbo TX3 that had the front shafts removed/modified so it was RWD all the time, with a strengthened and locked rear diff, what a sketchy rde, but great for burnouts and getting looks from other car enthusiasts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:57 am 
Site Admin

I may have a lead on a P410 for sale if you are still after one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:54 am 

yeah, i was gonna suggest an old subi, like an outback or something...
or possibly the old 4wd corolla wagon things...
what about something like a suzuki cuppacino...

always liked the idea of doing RWD conversion into a maxima or similar (Camry), but different can of worms.

S2 TRX: SuckThru Turbo: RETIRED
MR30 Hatch: Daily Driver: SOLD
720 King Cab: Daily Driver V2: SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:01 am 

1 - needs awd to take advantage of rear diff cradle assembly.
2 - happy to re-do firewall to fit box. will need it in any case with an FD3S box regardless of car.
3 - outbacks are dead- thank the khoury bros for that!
4 - P410s - while i love pininfarina, they're just too fragile for this. no brake upgrades, weak lower A arms, handle like a brick....same with the 120Y. i'm just very much "over" the whole "been done" scene. people have stuffed all kinds of engines into a 120Y, so it'll be nothing new.
5 - the tercel is good because i can use any old diff with AE86 suspension/brakes up front.
6 - i don't plan to keep the stock diff - will swap in an R200 or similar.
Baz wrote:
Pro, you never cease to amaze.

Mate get serious, like get a front cut gtir
& fit the whole sub assy into the arse of a mighty boy.
giddyup! will keep trying for you mate! :thumbsup:

i guess if the TX3 won't save me as far as class racing, then i should look to the easier path - the tercel.

could be fun slammed on 14in deep dishes with liquorice tyres in duck egg blue with satin black highlight - or beige with brown highlights.... :lol:

***OUT OF ACTION***

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:49 am 

Mazda Familia AWD with a blown gearbox, then sell the engine and bumpers/bonnet and resort to normal panels? still in the mazda family

Corona? already RWD
Sigma?
I'm pretty sure a mondeo came in AWD in europe? that would be a killer sleeper, or even a taurus :) -doubt that the americans could build an AWD car in such a small shape
Did any daihatsu's come in AWD, like the applause, what about daewoo? jap models always see to have an AWD version,

Suzuki alto works kei car ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:31 am 

Toyota Tercel with 4WD for the win!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:43 am 

My personal view is if you want a real sleeper that hasn't been done, then the tx3 doesn't really suit. I like the idea of the cultus, but probably moreso the Cruz. Noone cas remotely done anything like this to a Cruz, and youd certainly have the sleeper idea covered.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:11 pm 

I Like Drift wrote:
Mazda Familia AWD with a blown gearbox, then sell the engine and bumpers/bonnet and resort to normal panels? still in the mazda family

Corona? already RWD
Sigma?
I'm pretty sure a mondeo came in AWD in europe? that would be a killer sleeper, or even a taurus :) -doubt that the americans could build an AWD car in such a small shape
Did any daihatsu's come in AWD, like the applause, what about daewoo? jap models always see to have an AWD version,

Suzuki alto works kei car ;)
the familia was an option, but suspension/brake upgrades will be a biatch.

corona/sigma - i wouldn't use a 13B - it's be straight to 1JZ/1UZ. they also cop a good workout and have had all kinds of engines in them as well.

mondeo would be a great choice but getting a car here from the UK is about twice the price of Japan - AND all the parts that i need to upgrade as well. taurus is FWD so it's out completely - but THAT'S some serious thinking.

the alto workz is only about 660kg so not even a stock 13B is allowed.

and Yeahlow34 - i thought the Cruze as well because it's the ultimate hairdressers / 45yo woman's car. it just doesn't appeal to anyone but the only group that don't give a rats about cars. they're heavy enough to take a 13B turbo and use IRS under the bum. i've seen ONE - that's right, ONE cruze here in WA with a G13B in it (suzi swift motor) and a T25 turbo kit. whoever that sick fk is can eat my shorts. it's blue and launches like an EVO.

so the sleeper theme is really big, and i guess that eliminates the TX3 and the Suzukis.

did anyone see the youtube link in the first post?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEGKkUGECxU

***OUT OF ACTION***

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:16 pm 

i should prob also point out that a good all rounder is preferred, not just something with shock value and good in a straight line. my new house is about 10 mins from wanneroo raceway, so i want to be able to take advantage of driving days etc.

i have seen a cruze lowered about 3in (on ebay) and it was still pretty high, but the tercel i know i could get down low with AE86 parts.

***OUT OF ACTION***