Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:13 pm 

Riley, the S12+8 calipers you sent down have gap for the disc of 23mm so not wide enough for 24mm vented Verada discs. Rather than stuffing around with the DBA catalogue to find 22mm vented disc with all the right offsets etc, I am looking at two options:

1. machine a bit off the caliper to accommodate the wider disc (looks to be plenty of cast iron there!)
or 2. make up a spacer with a recess for the O ring

Both of these have been mentioned in this thread. I spoke to BGT Brakes in Dandenong this morning and they showed me a spacer they made up for a different caliper for similar reasons. They agreed either option should be OK, option 1 being simpler if there is enough metal there.

'02 Porsche 996 GT2 (600hp/480rw hp)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:37 pm 

If you a member of datnet check out there. There is a thread where a guy did exactly what you've said in option 1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:14 pm 

and his name is Ludachris

They are the same calipers as the vented ones, its the pads that are different thickness apparently in the end

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:58 pm 

the vented and non vented calipers are most definately different, they look identicle. and would be the same if the non vented ones have spacers i think

but then when i tried some non vented ones on my struts not that long ago im pretty sure i found out that they have a different offset to hte vented ones also

pads are the same between vented and non vented

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:52 pm 

Quote:
its the pads that are different thickness
Its the space difference between the metal part of the caliper where the disc goes thru it... sort of either side of the pad... that space is 23mm as stated above... but a simple grind of .5mm each side to widen it up a little should allow for the fatter disc.