Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:11 pm 

Hi all,
I'm in the process of restoring my Datsun 240z and fitting an SR20DET and before I can start work on the engine bay I am in need of some metal fabrication work.

The Chassis frame rails in the engine bay are rusted and I'm looking to get them replaced completely.

I have found a guy who is happy to do the work for me but i'm looking to get at least another quote on the work.

Can anyone recommend someone in Adelaide that can fabricate new rails out of sheetmetal and replace the existing.

I've struggled to find anyone that is interested in taking on the job... but i thought surely there is someone out there that does this all day long !

Cheers
Travis

1970 Datsun 240z #166

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:01 pm 
Guru

Well, this sort of repair is usually done in a workshop since the car needs to be available for measurement, trial fitting etc.
I have folded up a lot of repair panels using the remains of the OEM parts as patterns and that is where you will find that a lot of shops just don't want to spend the time on the job, or they will charge accordingly :shock: :shock: :chaching:
The parts in question a relatively straight forward to bend up but you will need to unpick the original parts very carefully.
How about a few pictures to show us how bad they are and what you intend to replace?
I have a '73 240Z for which I had new floor rails folded up.
They extend the complete length of the cabin unlike the OEM part which only went 1/2 way.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
Floor pan patched one rail done.jpg [ 84.82 KiB | Viewed 2630 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
Both rails done.jpg [ 78.71 KiB | Viewed 2630 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
tc 2.JPG [ 93.65 KiB | Viewed 2630 times ]
With the top coat done it all looks OEM :)

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:58 pm 

I've attached some more pics of the trouble areas.
Thanks for your response nissanman. Looks like you are making some serious progress there>!!
Or have you finished it since then?

Attachments:
File comment: Drivers Side frame rail, close to rad support. More rust coming through.
[ attachment ]
P1040657 (Medium).JPG [ 61.87 KiB | Viewed 2624 times ]
File comment: Drivers Side frame rail, rust coming through mainly on the side surface.
[ attachment ]
P1040658 (Medium).JPG [ 56.87 KiB | Viewed 2624 times ]
File comment: Passenger side frame rail, rust coming through on the top section... Mainly surface rust on the side section.
[ attachment ]
DSC02231 (Medium).JPG [ 53.94 KiB | Viewed 2624 times ]
File comment: Passenger Side Frame Rail, has been previously repaired.. badly !..
[ attachment ]
P1040653 (Medium).JPG [ 56 KiB | Viewed 2624 times ]

1970 Datsun 240z #166

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:46 pm 
Guru

ErrrrrK :shock:
Now, I know you don't want to hear this but, those rails are pretty sad.
Passenger side: -
If there are holes on the top edge you can imagine what the inside and bottom surface must be like.
From the condition of the battery tray and area, it looks like acid has corroded the wheel well and rail.
Not at all unusual but very time consuming to fix the tray and surrounding area satisfactorily.
I would advise a new/replacement rail.
Drivers side: -
You may get away with cutting out the suspect areas and patching with new metal, but hard to tell the integrity of the rail without some poking , prodding and surgery with an angle grinder.
The full extent of the damage is a "known unknown".

These areas are a major structural part of the uni-body and you can't take a risk here.
If it were my car, I would indeed unpick the two rails and replace with new metal.
Fortunately, the rear rail is a separate section and may not be corroded.
The replacement can be slotted inside the rear section then welded in.

You may notice that I had to remove a trashed spare wheel well and replace it with a used one.
Another big job BUT, it is only metal and therefore it can be repaired :thumbsup:
Normally a professional restorer would use a spot welder to fasten the replacements but yours truly only has Oxy/Acet so I do plug welds instead :wink:

They don't make these cars anymore so if you are going to restore it, do it properly and you'll be much happier in the end.
You have to decide whether it is worthwhile or not.

I tried looking for rust repair sections on some of the Z car sites in the U.S but I couldn't find any that did the chassis rails.
So I guess that is the bottom line, they will have to be manufactured.
I can use my car as a pattern and a friend of a friend might be able to fold them up :wink:
He used his roller to make up some replacement sill panels for my '65 Fairlady restoration.
Trust me, you haven't seen rustouts until you see my Fairlady :chaching: :chaching: :chaching:
Anyhoo, let me know what you want to do and I'll make some inquiries for you :cheers

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 pm 

Howdy all.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of finding someone locally, may be worth trying: http://www.datsunzparts.com/NewParts/summary.htm

They list frame rails in there inventory, as well as other panels.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
Front%20Frame%20Rails-End.jpg [ 126.22 KiB | Viewed 2616 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
Front%20Frame%20Rails-Gussett.jpg [ 124.19 KiB | Viewed 2616 times ]
Good luck on the repairs to the Z!

Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 pm 

Yeah I thought since i'm going for the increased HP of the SR20 that I would want them completely replaced. The rest of the car is very rust free, its just the frame rails that are holding me back. The battery tray area is repairable, and is only surface rust so this won't be a problem.

I had found these replacement rails from the US but they are quite pricey and Shipping isn't cheap either.. Approx $800 AUD all up delivered to my door. Whereas a local fella has quoted me $850 to remove and replace rails with new fabricated steel. This is probably the way i'll go in the end.

Thanks for all your help !.
If i do get them done through the guy in Adelaide i'll post up some pics upon completion.

1970 Datsun 240z #166

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:46 pm 

Hi Travis,

I see ur dilema. They need to be changed but make sure you get them folded out of spring steel (high tesile steel) as frame rails are not made of normal mild steel, they need to be strong & absorb impact, hence the HTS.

Nick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:04 pm 

Rare Spares sell floor panels, Bad Dog is the name of the US mob who actually make rails but yeh, freight. $850 to do the lot sounds pretty good to me, its a shitty time consuming job.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:52 pm 

PM sent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:26 pm 

Thanks all for your help, i've had new rails fabricated and fitted.
I'll post up some pics of the work shortly.

Nick - i'm now getting pretty close to fitting the Sr20 so let you know how i go with the mounts etc. !

1970 Datsun 240z #166