Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:02 pm 

Had an issue recently where my right hand blinker wouldn't work on my 180b.

Hazards worked proving globes weren't the issue, so had to be something with the stalk. I tracked down another stalk thinking it would solve the issue, pulled the steering wheel off, chucked the replacement on, same problem.

Having the time to investigate was really the factor in just getting another stalk, but since the replacement didn't work, had to look further.

Took the car to a fellow Datto man with a lot more electrical knowledge than myself, he chucked the multimeter over the thing and confirmed that there wasn't much resistance getting to the blinker terminal when it was engaged to the RH side.

Turns out 40years of use and gunk build up finally stopped the blinker working, so a quick disassemble, clean, scratch and reassemble proved a winner.

180b stalk
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
1.jpg [ 59.03 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
The back of the stalk
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
2.jpg [ 56.42 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
Behind this section is the area that activates the blinkers, remove the 2 screws being careful not to lose the little ball & spring.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
3.jpg [ 54.98 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
You can see the little bridge component on the left that activates the terminals on a see-saw type setup when the lever is pulled.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
4.jpg [ 63.49 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
Pull the metal off and shows how dirty the contact points are.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
5.jpg [ 46.72 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
Bit of Contact Cleaner on a rag and a quick wipe, looks alot better. You can still see some markings on it, so a bit of really fine wet n dry would have been good but I didn't have any. Don't use anything to rough as the brass gets hacked up really easily.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
6.jpg [ 55.93 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]
The 1600 stalks are pretty similar from just looking at it, so same thing should probably apply if you are having issues, good bit of maintenance either way for better reacting blinkers.

Last edited by Bozo510 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 pm 
Guru

Well done!
A bit poor that they got tired after only 40 years :roll:
Nissan needs to lift their game :lol:
Another good product that I have used for electrical switches etc. is CRC Contact Cleaner.
[ img ]
I went from having NO continuity AT ALL in my Fairlady dash switches to fully functioning switches by giving them a good spraying with it :thumbsup:
You should have seen the black soup that dribbled out of the switches when I dosed them up :!:

graemes@internode.on.net

Last edited by Nissanman on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:52 pm 

My indicator only works intermintanly could cleaning it help. I thought it was the altenator not giving enough charge but i now know it isnt i recently had it cleaned up and it only marginally helped this problem.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:02 pm 

Contact cleaner is definitely the better and right product to clean electrical components, so disregard my wd-40 comment, just all I had available and I didnt want to spray it on directly.

Dato200b, admittedly i'm not an electrical expert, but I've troubleshooted plenty of car issues. It's unlikely an alternator would stock a blinker working, headlights maybe, but IMO not blinkers.

I've never pulled apart a 200b stalk, but similar era so would be worth a look I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:21 pm 
Guru

The 200B/910 stalk is usually well greased from the factory but that doesn't prevent a high resistance contact developing due to age and dirt etc.
Give it a dose of Contact Cleaner, what have you got to lose :D

Oh, and just remember, indicators are supposed to work intermittently :rofl: :rofl:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:30 pm 

Haha yeh well im sick of being blasted in intersections when they fade out on me. Before i had the altenator fixed they wouldnt work with the brake lights on so night, rain or cold driving were out and i love driving in the rain.

86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:48 pm 
Guru

Maybe the indicator housings are all corroded and causing high resistance at the globe sockets?
Can't hurt to pull them apart and check.
You can polish the connections with some fine sandpaper but that tends to remove the protective plating on the parts, resulting in more corrosion :roll:
Anyhoo, check the globe sockets and clean up the best you can.
You can try using vinegar or a de-rusting solution.

I replaced the tin housings on my P510 guard repeaters with home made plastic housings. They will never rust out :)

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:23 am 

Well il just do the lot to be safe. Cheers

86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:26 pm 

Hahaha how funny is this...

My 2000 model Golf had the same problem, so I took the steering column cover off and sprayed it with the same stuff Nissanman posted up above, it solved the problem and saved my self $180 that the guy at the Euro wreckers wanted for a second hand stalk lol

Might as well do the one on my 180B and give it another 40 odd yrs lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:49 pm 

Spraying it with CNC contact cleaner is the first step. But once its clean, spray it with Inox or something similar.

This helps protect what you've just cleaned.

My 720 indicator stalk was working, but when clicking it Left. It would 7/10 times flash the high beams too (sometimes holding on the high beams too). After months of this, i thought wise to resolve the problem as to not annoy other drivers..

Contact cleaner > Inox ... Smooth stalk and no flashing of high beams...yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 am 

humm... gave this a try and still no luck. anyother tips, or is my stalk just too far gone (240k).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 am 
Guru

It could be worn out but if you are game to dismantle it check that any contacts are still present at least and have sufficient pressure to make a decent circuit.
Just watch out for any little springs and such if you take it apart :roll:
It might just need a slight re-tension on the contacts.
If the contact domes are non-existent, you might be able to create new ones by building up some solder on the remains of the works.
Just a little dome and it might just work :thumbsup:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:18 pm 

i did that, the 240k has three little flat plates and a copper plate held down by a tiny spring that strikes between the two of the three plates to make the circuit (a pic would make it easy to picture) rather than the 180b one above. i propped the spring up a tiny little bit with the head of a nail so it would contact more after cleaning the plates quite well.

still no luck tho. the windscreen wiper control doesn't work either so im guessing its not the controls. but! the indicator stalk also has the high beam flasher and that works... just nothing else. and i checked both flasher units (even swapped in new ones) and the fuses are right.