Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Central Locking
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:58 pm 

Hi guys,

the 120Y sedan i recently bought had aftermarket remote central locking installed, but last weekend it stopped locking, it won't manually lock or lock with the key, the alarm still works which is the good thing but i really need to get this sorted, i bought another module thinking that if none of them work then it has to be something central, it's not fuses and now i know it's not the control module does anyone have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:54 pm 

Hi Aaron,

When you say it wont lock or unlock, do you mean that if you put your key in the drivers door and lock/unlock that door all the others dont do anything? If that is the case I would be tempted to either think a) the module (which you have checked) or b) the drivers door actuator. Check that a plug hasnt come loose first of course. The actuator in the door senses wether you are locking or unlocking the door, if this has failed then all the others wont work either. It is called a master, the others that are just controlled by the module are called slaves. Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:57 pm 

from what the single A4 piece of instructions reads is that the front 2 are master and rear are slaves so i guess it's one of those 2, damn new fangled electrics! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 pm 

Does everything work if you open from the passengers side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:59 pm 

no you can't lock with the key or by pushing them down or anything, i'll have a look at it all in detail this arvo as i can get home at a reasonable hour from work today! and see what i can see....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:53 pm 

What about if you unplug the actuators from the harness, it works then? Sounds like either the lock mechanism is stuffed or the actuator is constantly holding the lock up - but my thinking would be that it should have burnt out by now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:57 pm 

thats the only way to test it unplug them one by one, i thought as much but you never know.

by the way, i never realised how ugly your man woman avatar is until i saw it so many times in a row :rofl: i do appoligise if it is you :giggle: just jokes thanks for the help buddy, my electrics aren't my strong point in cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:54 pm 

Haha, that isnt me - this is me:

http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~scealy/pics/DSCN0027.JPG

You can decide wether it is better or worse :)

Yeah personally I would try first unplugging them and check that the locks themselves are working as they should. Probably then just go arround and one by one test the system with just one module unplugged. If you cant isolate a single faulty module then perhaps also try unplugging the central locking from the alarm as well? Really starting to clutch at straws here though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:08 pm 

i might keep my decision to myself :P lokes!

well i had to replace all 4 solenoids as they were all siezed..... what a sh*t, i hope it's not a half yearly thing everytime..... will give me the irrits.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:09 pm 

Quote:
well i had to replace all 4 solenoids as they were all siezed..... what a sh#t, i hope it's not a half yearly thing everytime..... will give me the irrits.....

Hmmm... is that because they were the cheap and nasty (Chinese no doubt) ones you can get off e-bay for $10 (or less, a set)? Exactly the same ones I just bought off someone for $15. Think it might be 'bin-time'.
Still that will only be small potatoes in the list of things I've done my dough on. On the plus side, it was convenient that they all seized at once... that takes some serious quality assurance to get that precise standard of failure.... how annoying if they carked it one by one randomly over a month! Now you can just build it in to your service schedule. Check oil, change central locking units....
Quote:
Haha, that isnt me - this is me:

http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~scealy/pics/DSCN0027.JPG

You can decide wether it is better or worse
Hmmmm.... do you want us to get back to you on that, Bob?
Looks like a great opportunity for a poll.

Cheers, Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:17 pm 

no they were even more, $50!!! i know they are probably a little nasty, they came in the car and work fine i am still surprised they all went at once, but i guess if it's once a year and thats the big problem every year, and it saves me unlocking doors for people who am i to complain.

i think a poll is the go by the way, let the masses decide on whether bob should wear the thick rims and wig or go el normal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:30 pm 

I am happy to conform to any poll results - but be careful what you wish for :)

As for all seizing at once, one possible explanation is that something occured that caused the control module to give them full power one direction continuously. Not many solenoids would withstand that without having a good ole fashoned meltdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:51 pm 

thats true, i did drop one accidentally when i was cleaning up and it is as if it siezed and needed a tap to unlock and it now seems to work as it should by manually moving the piston, i mihgt try it sometime with not hoping for anything but if thats the case i have an emergency set...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:08 am 

i had a mate that installed my central locking for me, i had the same problem. the master central locking actuator (driver's side) wasn't moving up or down. to solve the problem:

we took the door trimming off

made sure that the actuator was wired properly (brown to brown, green to green, etc)

made sure that the when you pulled the door knob, that the actuator was pulling up and down

if its not, then reposition the actuator and make sure the rod is secure on the original lock release.

then make sure that the actuator and rod isnt making contact with the door trimming when it is put back on, otherwise it will stop the actuator from opening and closing fully.

hope this brief explanation helps sorry this is my first post

Want a Custom User Bar? Custom User Bars

Marc's Datsun 200B @ Member's Rides