Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:31 pm 

Hi folks,

Posted for the first time a while back about coolant leaks from the intake/exhaust ports on my gf's 180B. It was suggested that it was more than likely a blown head gasket. I don't have much experience working on engines so I've been taking my time and doing my research carefully. The head gasket was indeed stuffed. The head has been serviced and refurbished now. During the rebuild I thought it would be wise to get the front timing cover off and thoroughly check for potential secondary damages even though the water pump looked ok. It was lucky I did because I found cavitation in the front cover. I am used to seeing this sort of thing on failed big industrial pumps at work so I am not sure how serious it is? To me it doesn't look good since it is clear that the wall has been eaten away in several areas and even the mating surface to the block is now reduced. I've included some photos to show what I'm talking about. What is my course of action here? To be honest I am now a bit concerned I have bitten off more than I can chew with this job.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_20140825_114030_085.jpg [ 100.65 KiB | Viewed 1773 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_20140825_114043_957.jpg [ 88.31 KiB | Viewed 1773 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_20140825_114517_811.jpg [ 88.31 KiB | Viewed 1773 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_20140825_114652_431.jpg [ 70.36 KiB | Viewed 1773 times ]
Cheers.

Jimmy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:40 pm 
Guru

Yes, there is some metal eaten away as you say.
Certainly not terminal definitely typical.
I would lay a new gasket over the timing cover and see if there is enough metal remaining to make the cover serviceable.
Personally I would probably re-use it.
If you want to replace it with a better unit, I have some stashed away somewhere.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:00 am 

Thanks for your reply Graeme. Helps to get that kind of feedback. I will give the new gasket a go when I return home from work. Fingers crossed! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:48 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

For sure, just reuse this cover. It's ok.
If it was rusted bad (which this one is not) i'd look at getting another used timing cover from a wrecker etc as they are not that expensive, just getting harder to find a clean one.
I'd replace the coolant pump and crank lip seal with new one's while you have the timing cover off as they are also cheap to buy. Also consider flushing and checking the heater core, heater tap and radiator aswell as this corrosion and rusty metal flakes may have spread to these parts also.
Ensure you refill with quality coolant.
I use genuine Nissan coolant...
p.s. cavitation is something different. This is plain old corrosion...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 am 

watch the first 1 minute this is what happens when running old antifreeze. Pump was new and front cover was perfect
water pump lokked like termite then thru it and front cover fail running water into oil.

http://vimeo.com/19077890