Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Datsun 120y Gearbox
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:58 am 

hey all just got my first datsun today its a 120y, i bought it while knowing it had a throw out or input shaft bearing problem, i got another 4 speed off the guy who sold the car to me saying it was a replacement but he never got around to it.

I have yet to take out the bad gearbox out of the car, i got home and tried out the other gearbox, it seemed to go into gears smoothly but 2nd gear will absolutely not go in. Unsure if this is because there's no oil in it or something else, i took of the drain plug to look for metal shavings i didn't find any.

I'm not experienced with gearbox's. If anyone knows something that might help let me know, cheers.

Post subject: Re: Datsun 120y Gearbox
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:45 am 

Sil91 wrote:
hey all just got my first datsun today its a 120y, I bought it while knowing it had a throw out or input shaft bearing problem, I got another 4 speed off the guy who sold the car to me saying it was a replacement but he never got around to it.

I have yet to take out the bad gearbox out of the car, I got home and tried out the other gearbox, it seemed to go into gears smoothly but 2nd gear will absolutely not go in. Unsure if this is because there's no oil in it or something else, I took of the drain plug to look for metal shavings I didn't find any.

I'm not experienced with gearbox's. If anyone knows something that might help let me know, cheers.
Probably best to crack open the gearbox or get someone to have a look for you. Ultimately any issue and fix will require this. Could be a synchro ring or clutch fork issue. I've got a similar issue with a 5 speed in my 1200, but not to the point where it won't go into 2nd. At the moment I have a 5 speed dogleg getting rebuilt, so will simply move to that once ready, and use the standard H pattern for spare parts.

- Braasy