Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Z18et ecu
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:36 am 

Heh, yes i think the term is "snowball". You set out to do one thing, keeping it simple and what not. Yeah.... Few grand later you have a rebuilt z18 to bolt in, new gearbox, new bush kit, newly materialized interior, seats..... and thats just one car. Then you have a z32 that deserves the same love. Oh and now the WRX.... at least we have a good overall bias of vehicles. The true sports car, the utility and the cruising car. haha. Or as my mate in QLD sees it, the economy, the fast, the one that picks up all the spare parts you bring home.

Good note about the dizzy tang too. Somewhat makes perfect sense doesnt it. Just with the electronic ones though ive never seen a condenser installed. Only on the points dizzy's have i seen them used for that reason.

Not sure if i mentioned it, put it this way, i cant remember if i have already, but i got the box at the end of last week with the ecus and your dizzy. Dizzy seems to be no different than one of the spare (broken) L20 dizzies ive got. Still though, its good to have another spare. Everything looks to be in good order on it. Maybe a new cap and rotor for good measure but overall its a good one. Thanks again for it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:33 pm 

Hey not a problem if you really don't want it feel free to send it back and we can even it up for the ecu? And jeez chris how many cars do you have at your house?? Ur missus must be verrryyyyyyyyy understanding I had about 3 weeks of un-interrupted datsun work before I was hassled about when it's going to be moving or when I was going to stop wasting money wait actually she still goes on about me wasting money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:10 am 

The dizzy im still keen for it. More the merrier. As no doubt i will be using it for my KA24det/L/Z engine i want to build. So all is well. Plus technically as it stands its actually my spare. As i still havent fixed my other, broken spare. lol.

And lmao. Amandas pretty understanding of the whole situation. Im a definite car bloke and shes a car chick in many ways, so she appreciated the need to do things on them and spend the moneys. Shes learnt a lot from me over the years (so she tells me) to which makes life easy as she understands the problem usually. And that it just doesnt fix itself. Albeit, having to be more sensible now that our new first house has just about been built.

The way we see it, the ute is my cheap hobby toy, come daily. Plus its handy as its a ute. Plus it wont ever sell for a decent price. So i may as well keep it. The 300zx is Amandas and we have plans for a full rebuild. As the engine has low compression in a cylinder and its in dyer need of a paint job (that we bought paint for the other week) so when i have some time ill be spraying it for her. And now the Subaru WRX, is, well was meant to be our sensible car. lol. 4 doors and a more comfy ride for when we travel to QLD to see my parents and in general, holidays, better fuel economy. We decided for a WRX over the plain Impreza as it was bugger all more for insurance and rego. So why not have the better of the lot. haha. I also used to own a 300zx myself, but we sold that to buy the WRX.

It wont stop there either, as i will eventually get a Bluey for a rally/track car, at which the KA24det/L/Z engine i want to build is meant for. But than will need a strong 4x4 to tow it, so im thinking a old SWB Patrol. With a V8 or something. lol.

Just need the dollars to keep it alive. haha.

Ah well, thats enough off topic chat.

Got lucky with the buy too, its the MY00 model (which ive always wanted) but with the MY04 Sti engine. So its got the best of both really. Brilliant engine, in the body of a nice looking model.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:59 pm 

I really need to cruise down just to see this car lot of datsuns... But I really have never been a wrx fan every man and his dog has one up here in Wollongong. Kinda ruins the coolness of them when they are all decked out 5mm from the ground. Hey but z18 related question it's all going sweet but I've noticed it sort of dies half way up the rpm range when I say die I mean just not accelerte anymore. I'm kinda leading towards a boost leak as I have no compressor surge on the let off and it is really swooshy if you know what I mean another thing is maybe the o2 sensor not telling the ecu the correct fuel range. Apparently it plays a larger role than what I thought. Again stoopid but can you have a to small exhaust?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:11 pm 

Heh, i agree totally with you. Unfortunately the wrx craze got taken too far and yes it has been killed with the whole rice scene. I was a massive fan of them as a kid, but that died in the ass as soon as i become aware of the z32. Thats my love affair if any. But when it came to a practicality thing. The subaru ticked most boxes. As you wont ever see me buying a holden or a ford for a practical car. Ever!

Mean while back at the barn, it is possible to have to small of an exhaust as in affects you're choking the turbo. When choked, it will max out far earlier than it would if it had a free flowing exhaust. My exhaust system comprises of entirely 2.5 inch thick walled tube and mandrel bent angles. I also only have one muffler. Right at the end. If i realistically had the room for a 3 inch pipe it would be better again, as these rb25 turbos have the legs to keep going. But in my favor the 2.5 inch system allows it to come on and stay strong throughout the rev range.

What diameter pipe have you got going on?

I would also eye ball around for leaks. Ill try and find my J pipe and send you. May help the situation. Maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:07 pm 

I seem to have little Power before boost which was expected and than lots than it evens out well ath the moment I have a 3 inch dump that I just quickly made so it's possible it leaks and than it's just a 2.5 inch pipe with one muffler like you but it's by no means pretty but it sort of does the job. Sort of....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:42 pm 

Well, i would be surprised if your choking the system with that exhaust system. And i wouldnt be getting upset about the DIY work. All my gear is DIY. My exhaust was weld with a gasless mig system, so its not ideal to look at. But who give a f. Its under the car. haha.

Depending on what pistons you used i guess, the compression ratio will be pretty low. Mines not overly pokey off boost in the low rpm range but with the timing advance i have and near correct fuel maps, it picks up well enough to have you starting boost within a few meters of road travel. This might also be a direct relation to my diff ratio though. But yes, the low compression engine will see you bog down than pick up quickly that level off once max boost is obtained.

Its times like these that makes me want to just get the megasquirt system straight away and rig up my ca18 cas. So i can have it screaming for boost than power power power baby, yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:12 pm 

They were standard pistons so nothing special.... It could just be my lack of tuning skills but I was just expecting it to be a little bit more exciting so to say off the line with out a whole bunch of revs:( but you need to get that mega squirt and let me know if there is an improvement. Pa I sent your dizzy and injectors back today sorry I have been meaning to for the past week....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm 

Hey mate, was starting to think you left on holidays. haha.

I got the dizzy and injectors this morning. Was never any urgency to get them back. Sort of falls into my category too or getting that pipe to you. Its in a box but just not at the post. haha

With my tune, i dont get an overly quick start off either. It revs up, then just bogs out. I think possibly, for my case, the reason is the diff ratio but also the length of the ute and the amount of squat i get. I swear the ass end would hit the ground if i tried harder - exaggeration of coarse. Just tried to get a pokey start off from home, still no improvement lol.

Im seeing how soon i can get that MS ecu, as im getting upset not having the ute running right. All 3 cars we have dont have stock ecus. Funny that. Same with the subaru, the tune on that is terrible. Have to find myself the cable and software so i can better that one too.... just not enough time in one day. Even with day light savings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:53 pm 

Haha I wish I had holidays I have just been busy I had my 21st and managed to loose my iPhone in my datsun I was stumped I could hear it vibrating when I eventually figured it was in the garage but it had fallen into my left engine mount under the turbo don't ask me how I blame magic. See with a locked h145 I thought the take off would either shatter it or launch it off but it does neither it just revs really quickly and sort of hits a wall. I have the poops with it at the moment I had my original a12 radiator with some bigger hose inlets I braised on but it blew the core out at one of the tanks so I gotta see if a stanza aluminum one is gonna fit in the gap as wide as a nats co** that I have. but to be honest flipped my o2 sensor with a 50cent one from the wreckers got 400k out of the tank and runs pretty sweet. I have actually been happy