Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: wtf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:42 am 

Can anyone tell me wat that black sensor thing on the bottom of the TB above the blue oil filter with the chrome lettering does or wat its pupose?? Im in the process of fitting a larger TB and the one that Im going to use dont have it on it??
Would it be ok to just leave it disconnected or bypass it somehow?[ img ]

:cheers

Post subject: Re: wtf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:47 am 

is this a Z series engine?
If so I think I know what it is:
I wrote:
Sanouske wrote:
The only odd thing about the stock tb is the black unit that sits under neath the butterflies. The one with the electrical connector in it. What the fek is it? heh. No one seems to know.
On a side note though, I think I know what the black thing is.

It's an Auxiliary Air Valve.
I become curious to this thing and I saw a pipe sticking up behind the biggest of the throttle valves, at first I thought it was a boost sensor or boost switch but upon taking it off the TB I saw a spring loaded plate covering a hole. There is also two holes infront of the T.Valve and two behind the T.valve.
A certain amount of air bypasses the T.valve(I guess this provides enough air for idle.
When the engine is cold the spring loaded disc is open providing extra air at cold starts, then as it is heated it slowly closes bringing idle back down to normal.
I'm guessing In your warm climate this won't be an issue, I drove mine without the AAV last summer with no cold start problems but with winter aproaching up here and temperatures well below zero i'll be innstalling one on mine.

On newer cars like S13's f.ex it looks like this: http://www.germansupply.com/home/image. ... ctid=17129

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:58 pm 

Lol, that look similar to the ones on the vg30de/detts spiff.

Have a look next time. I might pinch one off my spare vg30 and use it.

Thanks for the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:12 am 

yeah, theres a bunch of cars that use that type with the bosch EFI system.
I have also seen a manual wire operated valve, that functions as a good old choke, pull out to start and then push in after a few minutes :P

Much more reliable than the bosch one wich tends to get stuck either open or closed or wich refuse to open full or close fully after several years on the road.