Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: DIY Door Trims
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:07 pm 

I am about to undertake my own trim job for the doors on my 1600.

I am wondering if anyone has done their own trim job before, and if so what was the foam that they used for underneath the vinyl, with good sound reducing properties and not too thick (probably have to go to Clark Rubber). Going onto 3mm masonite with a white waterproof backing, to resist moisture.

Do you have any ideas for putting patterns on the trim, without access to the use of the machines for imprinting that the original factory would have used, or that the trimmers would use these days?

Whats a good option for replacing the old factory clips that hold the trim on?

If you have any pics that would be great to see what you have done!

Any ideas would be a great help.

Cheers

RB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:08 am 

Hey RB,

I used 3mm MDF for the backing board & buy some sprayon contact adhesive for glueing foam on, the foam is a pain to glue if you use the brush on glue. Clark rubber is the place to get your foam from.

The door trim clips & plastic door plugs are available from Peter Jacksons if you need them.

Best of luck with your trim project.

Brett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:00 pm 

Hey Brett,

What glue do you use for sticking on the vinyl. I was going to use the spray on adhesive, but was told that it wouldnt be strong enought, and when the heat gets to it, it starts to pull away.

I was going to use that selley's quick grip glue, but again was told that it would eat through the vinyl, because it is really corrosive?

So i'm at a loss.

Cheers

Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:43 pm 

Hey Ross,

I used Motorex brand sprayon adhesive to glue the foam to the MDF first & then the vinyl to the foam & MDF.
I then went looking for staples to fit the staple gun I own, ones that are about 3mm long & after a long search I could not find any, so then I thought I'll just try a typical paper stapler & see what happens. You would'nt believe it but they worked perfectly.
So after I glued it all on I just stapled thru the back of the board just like Datsun did & it has never moved. :D

Regards
Brett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:59 am 

I'm doing mine at the mo actually :D

I've used 3mm MDF I got from bunnings for 3 clams a sheet (1200 by 600 I think, ie plenty for each trim.

I used the original to trace onto the MDF, cut it out with a jigsaw and used those weird looking drill bits with the big flat section to drill the larger holes for the door latch and window winder. The other holes I just used an 8mm drill. The bigger holes needed some touching up though.

I got some pretty shallow staples from bunnings as well, I only had 1/4" staples and they went straight through the board and the vinyl :( These ones are shorter and hold it in alright, I've roughly glued the vinyl on as well just to be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:16 pm 

Did you guys put any patterns on the trims? Cause plain vinyl would look pretty bland and i would like to try my hand at making something in terms of a pattern, I was thinking of using some 3mm plastic tubing, and running it around the door pannel, then putting the vinyl on top, only problem is then i would have to heat mould the vinyl so that it fits the shape of the tubing.

Do you know if there are any side pockets from another car that will fit a datsun door, or go close to it, to add some storage points and a modern sort of car feel to it?

Was thinking of doing something like that.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:20 pm 

Suppose I should have replied again to this post once I had finally Finished those door Trims. Couldn't believe how simple it actually was. I used Black Suede for the Dash, Doors, Kick panels, Metal Trim parts on the B-Pillars, Wheel Arches and Parcel Shelf. With Green Suede Stitched on to give it some Highlights.

Anyway, thought I would show you what I came up with as a finished product.

1. I used the original trim panels (without the Vinyl covering) to copy the shape of the door onto a new piece of Masonite (approx 3.6mm). Apparently there is a reason that MDF isn't used, but I am not sure why. heard it off some motor trimmer.

2. Mark all the holes and Cut out shape with a Jigsaw, Use a 10mm Drill for the door clip holes, and I used a 38mm Hole saw for the Winder and Handle holes. Simple.

3. Use about 5mm light foam, from any Furniture Upholstery place (not Clark Rubber, Too Expensive!, Get your Suede or Vinyl from them too) and glue down onto the board. (A really really light coating of PVA seemed to work really well, too much and it soaked into the foam and made it hard and gave the foam low spots) wait till it dries completely. Then use a Razor and cut the foam away from the top of the panel to sit in the door channel, and around the holes of the window winders. Might need to cut in slightly so when the handles are put on, it doesn't hit the Suede.
Cut any excess Foam from around the Outside of the panel.

5. I found that Quik Grip worked the best for this next bit. Not so much with the previous step as it had a tendency to shrink (not sure why). Apply a thin layer of quick grip on the foam and on the back of your Suede, leave it for about 5 mins, so it goes tacky but still workable, then its just like gluing two bits of paper together. Lie it flat and make sure it is on straight, you don't get many chances at this. Roll out any air bubbles.

6. After it dries, flip it over and use your razor to cut enough of the suede to cover approximately 15mm onto the back of the board after it is folded over onto the back. It should lie in-between the holes for the door clips. Then just do the same thing, glue both the Suede and the Door, wait till tacky, then glue it down, pulling it tight as you go to eliminate creases and make it look smooth!

7. Cut a + in the holes for the door handle and window winder and same deal again.

Seriously not that hard. But if you have a better way, then please share it. Turned out alright for a first timer! Had to make the Dash board too, Mine didn't have even the frame, It had Carpet Covering it! :roll:

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
DSC02196Resized.JPG [ 35.67 KiB | Viewed 4826 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC02042.JPG [ 45.47 KiB | Viewed 4844 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC01770Resized.JPG [ 35.82 KiB | Viewed 4847 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC01788Resized.JPG [ 30.93 KiB | Viewed 4861 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC01785Resized.JPG [ 22.62 KiB | Viewed 4864 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:46 pm 

Wooow thats awesome i'm definately doing mine now maybe i'll post pics too since mine is a 180B sss? wont be for a few weeks at least anyway. just wondering what seats are those and where did you get them and how much if thats ok to ask? they look greatly comfy

you must be proud of your new door trim :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:48 pm 

Yeah, cheers mate. I am happy with how it turned out. Looked really nice once it was done.
I get a lot of comments about the seats. They were out of a Mazda RX7. I think a series 4. But not sure about that. They feel really nice and fit the size of a Datto well.
Bit of a pain to get in. Most seat conversions are but I have a few ideas for next time round to make them fit better and nicer, Probably a lot easier too. I got mine from SSS Automotive at Girraween. NSW. http://www.sssautomotive.com.au

Not sure how much they would be worth now. About $500 for the pair I would say. They're worth looking into though.

Post subject: Re: DIY Door Trims
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:46 pm 

Beautifully done RJB510!! i was only pulling my door trims off the other day to do the same thing :D you were saying you wanted something that improved sound quality and was waterproof.. how have they both held up so far??

If it's not broke, don't fix it.. Upgrade it!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:50 pm 

Thanks mate, they looked nice when i was done with it. I was happy with how they turned out.
Pretty sure that they reduced the sound, although, my car was kinda loud anyway. Probably needed new door seals and stuff. Definitely water proof, although could add some plastic at the back to make sure and just silastic it on like newer cars.

I honestly don't know how they are now in terms of quality. I sold my datto over a year ago to a guy in Adelaide called Timothy.

But i'd assume that they are still pretty good. Could try and treat them with a UV protectant or something, but i was told to go get upholstery fabric from a motor trimmer, so it should be ok. I have high hopes.

Would love to know what happened to my old datto. Really miss that car, such a regret selling it.
Anyone know who bought it?

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:01 pm 

Yeah great effort bud. Did mine with 3mm MDF, some thin foam and Charcoal Grey velour i used the brush on kwik grip it gets tack slowly so you can pull them tighter on the last run i did the sides first then top and bottom. Was quite surprised how easy they are. Feels good ay to do things yourself then you can only beat yourself up if you not happy HA HA.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:41 pm 

you use masonite instead of mdf as it is stronger for its thicknes and doesnt puncture as easy. it also resists to an extent water and will not soak it up then go mouldy and warp

ever seen a mdf board with a screw in the corner? goes all flaky and mushy.

masonite is the best choice for the job but if you are careful and the car is usually under cover you can get away with it easily enough.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:05 pm 

well youve got me hooked RB, even if you havent seen the car in some time..so simple and effective! im gona do something similar with mine, except have Jet Black with a red something or rather through it

If it's not broke, don't fix it.. Upgrade it!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:18 pm 

Awesome!
Man, its well worth it. Even if it isn't a Pro trim job with pressed lines and "Datsun 1600" stitching (although you could do it taking it to an embroidery shop), It still looks awesome and it freshens up the car huge, and its so much cheaper. Could buy basic black ones off ebay. But DIY is just as easy, more satisfying too.

I got myself brand new clips and the plastic inserts from these guys, but Rare spares sell them too, and if you shop around they're probably not hard to find.
http://www.spectrumrubber.com.au/

Good luck with it, Post up your pics when your done!

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18