Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: more brake help required
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:58 am 

ok this isnt about what hilux/RX7/lamborghini brake calipers to use with what disc,, thankfully

i have sussed that out.. :? i think

1.Ok the first picture is a pair of hubs (think thats what there called)

the one on the left is a standard 200B one from early model struts..

the one on the right is of unknown origin, (could be 180B but doubt it) hub but came of my 1600 which had vented discs and Holden girlock single piston calipers (VL me thinks) which were bolted to early model 180B struts.

Now as you can see the facings where they mount with the rotor have been lined up...
Notice how the studs from the 200B hub stick out further then the hub on the right

Now to my knowledge this only means that this only matters towards wheel selection as it changes my offset am i right??

ok now heres my main concern

the 200B hub has a center hole of 73mm

the hub on the right has a center hole of 80mm

and the verada discs (DBA425) has a hole to suit a 69mm hub

since i want to use the hub on the right (new wheel bearings + already had it on car before) will i just get the brake guys to make the verada center 80mm..????

Now my last query..

when i go to drill my verada rotors, they have to be drilled according to the hub pattern am i correct... then the wheel is put on the 4x113 bolt spacing that the hub offers????

thanx alot guys..

if you dont understand any of it just ask :D :D

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Picture 007a.JPG [ 54.3 KiB | Viewed 1683 times ]
[ attachment ]
Picture 004b.JPG [ 61.92 KiB | Viewed 1683 times ]

Last edited by MR1600 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:01 am 

sorry about the huge pics guys

the second shows 200B disc on left and vented unknown on right

ones on the right were originally 5 stud but redrilled to 4

if you ignore the other 5 holes in that pic on the right.. thats how i assume my verada discs would look like??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:39 am 

Correct, you need to have your centre hole machined out to suit the hub. If you haven't got you disks yet get them un-drilled for the wheel studs (I think the part number has a U at the end of it ie 425U). This will mean there will be less holes in it :wink:

According to my DBA catalogue if you're hub is 80mm it should be one of the following: 300/280ZX, 240/260Z or R30 GTS.

Also, when you compared the two hubs you referenced them from where the disk is mounted. You are correct in saying that the wheel mounting point will sit further out. However, you need to use the inside of the hub as the reference point as this will be the same on both hubs when fitted. What this means is the centre of the disk will move depending on the hub, effecting the caliper mounting/spacing.

I'm in the process of fitting R32 4 pot's to my 200B struts at the moment so I've recently been through this very process. Only I have machined the hub face so I can use the standard R32 disks.

Anyhow, good luck.

Cheers,

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:56 pm 

pretty sure you'll have to use the 200B hubs (they look the same as my 240K hubs).

the reason i say this is that, depending on what rims you're using, the caliper could foul on the rim spokes because of the different in 'height' of the hub. make sense? kinda hard to describe.

my advice would be to buy the DBA 425 rotors undrilled. then fit it all up to your struts, including wheels and calipers and see if it all fits together.

if the mounting holes on the back of the 180B and 200B hubs (to fit the discs) are the same, then go ahead and have them drilled to suit. if not, don't do it yet, because you'll have to trial-fit it all together a couple of times.

but yeah pretty sure you'll need to use the 200B hubs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:48 pm 

guppy wrote:
pretty sure you'll have to use the 200B hubs (they look the same as my 240K hubs).

the reason i say this is that, depending on what rims you're using, the caliper could foul on the rim spokes because of the different in 'height' of the hub. make sense? kinda hard to describe.
I think i know what your saying,i will be using 16 inch simmons rims so i dont think there will be in issue there, but yeah i know what your saying and i dont really want to take the chance.
guppy wrote:
my advice would be to buy the DBA 425 rotors undrilled. then fit it all up to your struts, including wheels and calipers and see if it all fits together.

ok i dont have the wheels im putting on yet, but i have some 15 inch testers which i could use to simulate with. just stick it all together if it doesnt foul then ill know that 16's will fit over nicely then..obviously you mean that i dont even need to put the rotors on since the will fit regardless
guppy wrote:
if the mounting holes on the back of the 180B and 200B hubs (to fit the discs) are the same, then go ahead and have them drilled to suit. if not, don't do it yet, because you'll have to trial-fit it all together a couple of times.

but yeah pretty sure you'll need to use the 200B hubs
Yes the mounting holes are different

Is the reason that you are saying ill need to use the 200B hubs only down to the possibility of the caliper fouling on the rim..

because i would prefer to use the other hubs if possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:01 pm 

the 200b hubs are 'thicker' which means that the wheel will sit slightly further out horizontally, lessening the chance that the spokes will foul on the caliper.

you'll need to put the rotors on when you dummy fit it all up, cos you'll need to know where the caliper has to sit to be centred over the rotor. you should be able to just knock it into place over the hub.

when i did mine the calipers sat too far out horizontally over the discs (ie they weren't centred over the discs). my first idea was to use 2-3mm washers so that the discs would fit further in. the rims fitted perfectly like this. but i didn't like the idea of using washers, so instead i took 2-3mm off the back of the caliper mounting ears on the strut, so that the calipers sat further 'out'. all good except that now they fouled on the rims of the spoke ever so slightly. cue some grinder action on the caliper fins and all was well again.

you're more than welcome to come round and have a look, might make more sense that way. gimme a call on 0417 995 372.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:31 am 

thanx guppy i got you number down

yeah when i drop my suspension around you can show me then if you got time

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:08 am 

ok issue time

after playing around for a few hours i have come to the conclusion that the 180B?? hubs are useless as they are far to small to use with the hilux calipers..

I put together the 200B strut + 200B hub + 200B solid disk and Hilux caliper and it appered to be all very well and good..

then i saw that the caliper was over hanging the hub by about 3mm (See pic 1)

Now after some careful measuring and being aware that the overall thickness for the verada disc is 45mm it turns out i will need either use a washer or skim some of the caliper mounting surface by 2-3mm

now guppy after reading your post a few times it seems you were exactly the same situation as i was in but how much did you angle grind of the caliper so the rim would clear because it seems i have to grind about +/-6mm which is a sh*t load of grinding..

am i worrying over nothing or what..

and also it seems about the max you can fit is about a 280mm. therefor the 276mm disc cuts it quite close lol :D

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
november 10 001.jpg [ 35.5 KiB | Viewed 1591 times ]
[ attachment ]
november 10 008.jpg [ 36.03 KiB | Viewed 1591 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:11 am 

Also where can u go to get the caliper mounting facers machined

and how much does it cost

thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:41 am 

200b struts or 240k ( i have had them on both)
and dont forget washers between the cailper and the mounting holes.
i think its 6mm.
if you dont do this the pads will rub.

if you got any q's just ask me on msn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:51 pm 

graham, yes that first pic is exactly what mine looks like - the caliper does stick past the hub face.

this shouldn't be an issue tho, cos most rims i've seen have spokes that are further 'out' than the mounting face.

you'll have to figure out what rims you're gonna use and dummy fit it all up

the reason i machined ~3mm off the caliper mounting face had nothing to do with this tho - it was so that the caliper was centred over the disc. i notice that you haven't got pads in those calipers. there's no point dummy-fitting just some of the stuff together tho - you'll need the whole kit-and-muthaf|_|cken-kaboodle - struts, hubs, rotors, calipers, pads, rims otherwise you're just wasting your time, cos you'll put, say, the pads in later and realize that the caliper isn't centred over the disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:53 pm 

Yes guppy i hear exactly what your talking about...

I have noooooooooooo idea what rims i want tho. i was dead set on getting simmons but i dont think i can justify spending $$3800 for the OM's i want..

i understand what you mean about the spokes not being flush on some rims

i understand why you needed to machine the calipers to centre the caliper over the disc and i think that once i get the actual verada discs and get them redrilled i will be able to make a more betterely judged decision

i didnt think the pad would matter because once you compress the pistons back into the caliper the pads wont protrude any further then what the disc space allows .... if that makes sense

Guppy where did you take you calipers to get them machined???

Did you find your rims last to suit the application or make the make the application suit your rims???

also would i be correct in saying that hub choice will not determine the offset off your wheels..i.e. all hubs that fit on the strut will yield the same offset regardless of the size??

thanx alot guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:05 pm 

so, bare 200b struts are the same as the 240k struts which have the 270mm disc. only difference is the hub?
and 253mm 240k struts have different mounting ears to the 270mm disc, but the same hub?
at the moment i have the 253mm 240k struts thats all. so if i can get either bare 200b/240k stuts then i'll be able to swap my hubs over and use the hilux/verada combo :D

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:11 pm 

1600dave wrote:
so, bare 200b struts are the same as the 240k struts which have the 270mm disc. only difference is the hub?
and 253mm 240k struts have different mounting ears to the 270mm disc, but the same hub?
at the moment i have the 253mm 240k struts thats all. so if i can get either bare 200b/240k stuts then i'll be able to swap my hubs over and use the hilux/verada combo :D
hey 1600dave i was under the impression that the hubs were different but not by much

if its not a hard ask would you be able to measure how long your 240k hub is, i just wanna kno out of curiousity

and yes for the last part of your question :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:12 pm 

i got my rims after to suit the setup.

got my mate to machine the calipers for me.

offset is to do with the rims only - has nothing to do with the hubs