Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: mr30 brakes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:24 pm 

hello, i want to upgrade the brakes on my mr30 skyline. are front r31 & r32 discs directly compattible with mr30 struts? how much do r32 disc-brakes generally cost?

also what coilovers will fit mr30struts and how much do they generally cost?

Post subject: Re: mr30 brakes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:46 pm 
Stanzoid wrote:
hello, i want to upgrade the brakes on my mr30 skyline. are front r31 & r32 discs directly compattible with mr30 struts? how much do r32 disc-brakes generally cost?

r31 Aus brakes can be fitted to r30 struts, bolt on and there bigger.

According to my investigations & questions using a datsport caliper bracket the z32 calipers are bolt on using the right disc and separate hub, from a 180b/200b. I'm using 5 stud hubs on my r30 struts

The required brakes cost anywhere from $300 - $500 depending on where you get them from.

Yes there are coilover kits, Noltec make kits that will fit and I'm buying a kit in the 2 - 4 weeks so I'll post up the part number for you. Basically the kits are generic you just measure the outside tube diameter of the strut and order the required size from noltec or supplier. They cost about $250 for the coilover kit, then about $250 for springs and then about $400 for the strut tops all from noltec.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:36 am 
Guru

r30Rally wrote:
Stanzoid wrote:

According to my investigations & questions using a datsport caliper bracket the z32 calipers are bolt on using the right disc and separate hub, from a 180b/200b, I'm using 5 stud hubs on my r30 struts

The required brakes cost anywhere from $300 - $500 depending on where you get them from.

Yes there are coilover kits, Noltec make kits that will fit and I'm buying a kit in the 2 - 4 weeks so I'll post up the part number for you. Basically the kits are generic you just measure the outside tube diameter of the strut and order the required size from noltec or supplier. They cost about $250 for the coilover kit, then about $250 for springs and then about $400 for the strut tops all from noltec.
Hope this helps
Have you been quoted these prices from Noltec?
Need to keep them honest.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:22 pm 
I actually got quoted a bit less but I didn't want to say anything as I "know" someone who can get me good deals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:15 pm 

how good is the quality of noltec suspension for drifting? because thats what i need it for.
r30rally wrote:

According to my investigations & questions using a datsport caliper bracket the z32 calipers are bolt on using the right disc and separate hub, from a 180b/200b. I'm using 5 stud hubs on my r30 struts
what do you have to do exactly to fit r31discs to r30struts. you say r31discs can be fitted, do you mean that they bolt straight on(same axel stube etc?)
also, do the calipers fit aswell? if so, wouldnt that also mean that r32 discbrakes will fit straight onto r30 struts too? and in that case, would r32calipers fit onto r30struts also, or are they too big?

originally i assumed that you'd need a special strut for it but i've been hearing some different things lately and i really want a clearer understanding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:47 pm 

r30Rally wrote:
Stanzoid wrote:

Hope this helps
for that kind of $$ you could look into an s-13 front end coilover swap?? just use the s-13 brakes, change to the 4pots and larger rotors if you want..
s-13 coilovers front $700 with adj chamber tops reco'd
s-13 hubs rotors and calipars $350 through forums second hand..
you'll need to get the rack ends for the s-13 and an extension made if you use the r31 rack...

you may not need larger rims if you use the s-13 brakes, r32 4pots 16" rims required and a low offset..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:59 pm 
rsx84 wrote:
r30Rally wrote:
Stanzoid wrote:

Hope this helps
for that kind of $$ you could look into an s-13 front end coilover swap?? just use the s-13 brakes, change to the 4pots and larger rotors if you want..
s-13 coilovers front $700 with adj chamber tops reco'd
s-13 hubs rotors and calipars $350 through forums second hand..
you'll need to get the rack ends for the s-13 and an extension made if you use the r31 rack...

you may not need larger rims if you use the s-13 brakes, r32 4pots 16" rims required and a low offset..
An innovative datsun mate of mine and I have had that exact discussion. The only unknown (only cause I've done my struts already and I'm too lazy to find out) is the length of the s13 struts/hub mounts etc to ensure that the car doesn't end up ridcously low or high.

Next time for sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:53 am 

you have the use coilovers as the standard s-13 springs won't fit.... i have them in my hr30 at the moment, the JIC coilovers i have have around 8" of play, i have them set at about 2" from the bottom now as the car just sits there, can't get a jack under it...HEHE, about 2" from the top is about the same ride height as the Konis Orange and lowered kings i had in there before.. it also has about 1" less travel than the konis shock, i do have 400pound springs though.. :wink:
this set up has been sold to a mate for his r31, and for the next time i do this for a brake upgrade i'm going to get a front set of hr31 struts, they will work fine and bolt stright in for around 1/2 the price... if you can find a set....

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
hr30 s13 coilovers.jpg [ 22.27 KiB | Viewed 2555 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:50 pm 

How is the front suspension setup on a R30? I never bothered looking on my old one (never needed to)

Do they have the control arms inside the end of the crossmember? (rather than the back like 1600/180b etc)

I have recently bought a set of S13 control arms, hubs and knuckles for experimentation, either using them on my S12 OR doing a cut n shut on the 180b arms, then using S13 coilovers and brakes etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:43 am 

godzilladat wrote:
How is the front suspension setup on a R30? I never bothered looking on my old one (never needed to)

Do they have the control arms inside the end of the crossmember? (rather than the back like 1600/180b etc)

I have recently bought a set of S13 control arms, hubs and knuckles for experimentation, either using them on my S12 OR doing a cut n shut on the 180b arms, then using S13 coilovers and brakes etc.
just the same as the r31, lower control arms slot into the cross member, the only difference is the r30 control arms are shorter thamn the r31 ones so it works better, the only major hassel is the tie rod ends, on the r30 they are not tappered so they need to be swapped for the S-13 ball joints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:02 pm 

Here is a few pics of stock S13/14 suspension just for anyone interested.

S13

[ img ]

S14

[ img ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:43 pm 

something tells me the s-14 may have had a brake upgrade..very handy for late braking....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:32 pm 

Something tells me that the S14 has had more than a brake upgrade. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:41 pm 
Warps wrote:
Something tells me that the S14 has had more than a brake upgrade. :shock:
Yeh like to a GTR based on the drive shaft visible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:57 pm 

Precisely.

Reminds me of a time I was chatting to Stewart Wilkins at his workshop, and I was casually checking out the 240Z next to me (guards off, obviously halfway through an RB conversion).

I remember thinking "Oh, they've gone for the CV driveshaft conversion on this thing.......hang on...that's the FRONT end I'm looking at...". Would love to see how that thing turned out.