Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:57 am 

G'day everyone, the Sunny's going to have my webers put on in the next 2 weeks :D but i've been beginning to think about when its on the road again when I get my P's, will it be much of a cop magnet? I know there will be alot of contributing factors (driving style, speeding ect.) But if I TRY to behave myself, should I be pretty right? Some of you may be able to tell me from experience. Im thinking about putting a smaller cam in it so it wont sound like a firebreathing beast at idle - especially at the lights when theres a chance of police attention :shock:

Daily - '85 XF Falcon Spak Wagon (that I don't care about)

On going project - '79 L18 Powered Datsun Sunny, Twin 45's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Try fitting a decent air box around the webers - it should muffle the induction roar enough so as not to attract unwanted attention, BUT still give enough of the 'magic' Weber induction roar :D
Also, the fitment of a sensible exhaust will also help keep the noise down.
A cam change won?t make bugger all difference, IMHO.

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:31 pm 

How about a butterfly valve to switch between quiet exhaust and loud exhaust. That would be pretty cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:39 pm 

don't ferrari use them to help with torque delivery?
we got em at autobarn (to quieten down the exhaust) but theyre like 290 odd bucks and only are in one size, 3" from memory.
just be sensible in traffic and you should be fine.
do you have ram tubes? what filters too?

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:57 pm 

In my experience the police generally respond to how you are driving more than anything else. If the car is legal with those carb's then they have no reason to pull you over.

......oh wait......you right.
TELL YOU WHAT , ill straight swap them for a pair of nice quite SU's :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:08 pm 

Any excessive noise is likely to make a copper think twich about a cars roadworth condition.. wether or not they could be bothered pulling you up is up to them tho... :?

I actually had a cop come up to me after pulling into a servo to check out the datto cause he used to have one when he was younger...freaked me out a bit when he was like "whats in your datto :twisted: son ? i used to have a worked l20 with webbers, cam etc.....in my 16"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:18 pm 

I had a mandarin red monaro with a letterbox on the bonnet & turbo style mufflers. The only time I got booked in that car was for doing an illegal U-Turn in front of a police car :oops:
They were really cool and even waved to me when I drove through their speed trap later in the day. (couple of young cops, a guy and a girl)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:14 pm 

Dave, Im running ram tubes with Unifilter socks, I've seen those valves at Autobarn before... It'd be good if they came in say 2, 2.25 and 2.5 inch sizes :D

So what you guys are basically telling me is that if i behave myself, I should be pretty right. Because I hold a CAMS licence and the car is used for legal competition purposes, if a cop pulls me up and points at the webers and says "why are those on there?", I'd have a pretty good excuse if I showed him my CAMS licence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:22 pm 

datto-510 wrote:
......oh wait......you right.
TELL YOU WHAT , ill straight swap them for a pair of nice quite SU's :wink:
:lol: NOT LIKELY!!.... I've already got a pair and I bought the webers because I want more power! :twisted: :lol:

On Monday its going into the tune shop to get the ports opened up to 35mm, bigger cam, spings & lash pads and the carbies jetted and tuned on the dyno :D Ill try and get some pics and post them in the "Members Rides" section, the topic is "My recently finished L18 B310". Be sure to have a look :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:08 pm 

bob260 wrote:
How about a butterfly valve to switch between quiet exhaust and loud exhaust. That would be pretty cool.
so you mean between the stock exhaust and the pipe that exits behind your front left tyre? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:09 am 

L18_B310 wrote:
So what you guys are basically telling me is that if i behave myself, I should be pretty right. Because I hold a CAMS licence and the car is used for legal competition purposes, if a cop pulls me up and points at the webers and says "why are those on there?", I'd have a pretty good excuse if I showed him my CAMS licence.
LOL I doubt if they would give a sh*t about your CAMS lisence. What i meant was if the car is legal they cant touch you for it. ARE those carbs legal on your car ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:56 am 

[b]jay510 wrote:[/b]

[quote]I actually had a cop come up to me after pulling into a servo to check out the datto cause he used to have one when he was younger...freaked me out a bit when he was like "whats in your datto son ? i used to have a worked l20 with webbers, cam etc.....in my 16[/quote]

i got dragged into a roadworthy station in my old 1600 and after popping the bonnet the cop said "ahhh the sss carbs, nice" at the time the car was too loud and i had un-engineered seats among other things, I was a happy camper.

back on topic, its purely luck of the draw but not stupd sh*t like doin laps of the trendy shopping strips on a friday night will help