Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:52 am 

Hi Guys,

I am a little stuck with the brake upgrade I am trying to do on my 200B. I have purchased a set of the verada discs (DBA425) they are cross drilled and slotted. I had them drilled so that I could bolt the hub up to it just like the original brake setup. The problem I am facing is with the calipers, the calipers I have been told to use were the hilux ones with S13W stamped on the back of them.

I try to mount the caliper to the strut leg but I can only see half of the bolt hole i.e I can't bolt the caliper to the leg. Could someone point me in the right direction please as I have been searching for an answer but with no success.

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:38 pm 

as in you cant get the caliper over the rotor, the rotor is fouling on the caliper or what do you mean.
you also need to get approx 3mm machined off the caliper mounting lugs to centre it over the rotor

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:51 pm 

Quote:
I try to mount the caliper to the strut leg but I can only see half of the bolt hole i.e I can't bolt the caliper to the leg
Check to see if the calliper will fit the strut without the rotor on it. If it does it means the cal's fouling on the rotor. If not then the callipers are wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:22 pm 

Hey Guys,

The bolt hole spacing is the same on the strut leg as it is the caliper. what I have managed to find out is that I need to have about 5 to 6 mm machined off the diameter of the rotor. When this has been done the caliper and rotor will fit perfectly. I think this is the reason so many people hae had an issue using the verada rotor with the hilux caliper, as all of the posts I have read haven't mentioned anything about machining the diameter of the rotor.

Also I will note that you shouldn't machine the caliper mounting surface. The best way to center the rotor to the caliper is by shimming the hub from the rotor using washes to do this. I hope this helps other people going through the same grief as I have.

Have a good one guys. I will get the machining done through the week and then I can start using my car again............yahooooooooo

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:51 pm 

Nisbo,

There are 2 different struts that accept the Hilux caliper. The 240K sedan and coupe were different, one having a 253mm disc and the other having a 270mm disc. (200B also used the 253mm disc)

The smaller disc setup has the caliper mounting lugs closer to the centreline of the axle, meaning a smaller disc is used with the same calipers. Sounds like this is the strut you have.

You'll get better braking if you get hold of the "big disc" struts, meaning you can use the bigger disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:32 pm 

i agree with warps, get the right struts instead of machining down the rotor diameter.
also a few people have suggested using washers, however i noticed when doing this it also moves the rotor closer to the end of the lca, and in my case it was actually just touching with the car on the ground, which would have became worse as the weight transfer forward under braking
thats on a 1600 with standard front end, using lowered king springs and 1" bump steer spacers.
using washers seems to be the easy way out, and you may aswell get them machined instead while the calipers are split in half, assuming your putting a kit through them too

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:45 pm 

I cant be stuffed reading all that, But best bang for buck (and will not look back)

Is hilux/land cruiser 4pots.
I ran them with braided lines on cheap pads and oh boy did it stop me at 200km's very very fast.
I only sold them cause I needed to go R31 fronts for the datsport kit :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:33 am 

did they fit under 14s though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:11 pm 

depends which rotor and strut, but yes they can. its been covered.

The 1600

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:18 am 

hey guys is the vt twin pistons way to big to put on my 200b? im guessing that theya re just wanted to be sure?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:21 pm 

not way too big, way too crap and wrong bolt spacing though

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:23 pm 

200b_owner wrote:
hey guys is the vt twin pistons way to big to put on my 200b? im guessing that theya re just wanted to be sure?
They do have the same caliper spacing as a 180b strut, and I disagree with the above, I reckon they a good cost effective upgrade to a datsun. Use 180b struts (or i'm told 1600 struts also have the same spacing), then find the right rotor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:47 pm 

DBA 2514's for early type struts 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 pm 

WotDat wrote:
DBA 2514's for early type struts 8)
Are these for early 200b strut? and fit with a hilux s13w caliper??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:17 pm 

Hey Guys,

I just thought I would put my bit in again. I tried all sorts of different combinations of rotors (discs) and calipers. From the verada rotor / toyota surf s13w calipers. I should let you know there are 2 different types of struts fitted to the 200B's. There is a small strut and a tall strut. Each of these struts have a different rotor / caliper combination. My 2008B SX turbo was fitted with the tall struts. My current brake setup consists of the following -

Front
Audi 290mm front rotors
Mazda RX7 ser4 4 spot calipers. (yes there is an adaptor plate you have to make or buy)

Rear
R31 IRS diff and disc brake.

I have also got rid of mmy old Girlock Master Cylinder ( Rectangular) and replaced it with a PBR 7/8 dual tank Master. This is a little work, but coming down from 200+ it stops really well and doesn't brake fade doesn't set in so fast. My opinion for what it is worth I think this is the best combination for the tall strut. All it takes is a little effort.