Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:34 am 

slappa wrote:
Has anyone got pics of this tubing or box section from the hoop to the firewall. Sounds like a great idea. I'm going with 6 point cage, stitch welding the whole of the car, extra supports under front guard and also rear strut towers to parcel shelf and also from gearbox and tail shaft tunnel to sill, expandable foam inside sills and pillars etc, and now box sectioning from hoop to firewall. Still looking into running 3mm plates along chassis rails and adding gussets to chassis. Should be quite a strong body and chassis I would hope. Then also front and rear strut brace and front sway bar.
there's photos in my build thready

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:40 am 

Thanks dat04. Great build thread btw. I have seen the pics, does the box sectioning just stop at the firewall?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:29 am 

DATO4 wrote:
there's photos in my build thready
Just been through the whole build mate, quite a journey :) One hell of a thorough build.

Couple of questions though. Like was asked just above, the box sections along the sills, does it stop and start at the firewall and wheel well? It isnt exactly what i had in mind but then again, my idea is only in theory at this point. I was going to install tube instead of box but, as it turned out with yours, with the seat rails and cage being mounted to it, tube seems like an easier choice down the line when working off of it.

A cage is not something i have either accepted that i'll do or dismissed it either. I like the idea of the rigidity it gives, but the attention from law enforcement.. that too. To be decided at a later date. What your cage seemed to have though was front side intrusion bars? Removable or no, at least in qld, they're illegal to have on road cars... aren't they?

Anyway... Again, NICE build. I am doing something different than you but, with any luck, mine will hold it's own too.

Appreciate the help and the ideas mate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:48 am 

hey mate sorry for late reply, haven't been on here in a while. Thanks for the reply to my build. Yeah it has been quite a journey, quite a lot more than a lot of builds on here. Will be well worth it when i finally get to drive the thing at 30 psi.

in response to your questions;

- the box tube runs from the cage main hoop in the middle of the car and finishes at the bottom of the firewall. see pics

- yes the car has removable side intrusion bars. They must be illegal in most states, i can't run on the road in NSW either. The cage was built to ANDRA specs, so i only need to install them when running down the 1/4. Hence the removable part.

With the issue of a cage being a cop magnet, you need to think about the fact that you're driving a stand out car anyway. You're not driving a Commodore. You don't see too many 1600's on the roads these days unless it's a cruise or a random spot. I think a lot of 1600 driver's don't realise that their cars stand out just like if you saw a modified RX2 or HG Monaro.

If you have your car engineered to include the cage, there is not a thing the police can do about it. Yeah sure you might get pulled over a few times more if you didn't have it, but by the sounds of your user name, a rotary is driving your 1600? I'd rather the security of a cage in a little, light weight car with a rotary and be pulled over 20% more, than not have it when some idiot runs a red light or an elderly driver pulls out from a driveway and t-bones me.

my car is almost finished, will post up some more pics soon

:cheers

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]