Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Evans Coolants
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:00 pm 

I stumbled across this product:
http://www.evanscoolants.com.au

It's a waterless engine radiator/coolant liquid supposedly with a higher boiling point than water (obviously water is at 100degC and higher with some additives), but this stuff supposedly boils approx 190degrees C.

Has anyone had experience with this stuff? Theoretically it sounds pretty good, but it's expensive. Although it lasts the life of the engine supposedly.

Post subject: Re: Evans Coolants
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:58 pm 

Did a bit of reading:

The Evans stuff is a fair bit more viscous than water.
Water is a better heat exchanger than Propylene Glycol, but causes corrosion.
You don't have to run a pressurised system with the Evans stuff.
The Evans stuff has greater headroom until it boils
[ img ]

The way water transfers maximum energy is by converting from a liquid to a gas (boiling). The thermal transfer capacity of steam is far less than when it is a liquid, so once it's steam, it has to condense back. Bad if it's a hot spot in the engine...

At the end of the day Nissan's engineers used a 50/50 mix (or there abouts) of ethylene glycol and water (distilled). The system (say an SR20DET) would have been designed with this in mind and would have been life tested.

If you engine is running at above 120deg then I'd say it doesn't matter if your coolant can cope with it, the engine probably can't as it's not designed for this kind of temperature...

Does anyone have real world experience? I'm interested in some feedback!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:48 am 

Bloke i have known for many years, is very cluey on lots of car stuff, mainly old school, is the Qld Distributor for this product, he's trying to talk me into sing it in the race cars.
Recently a good mate, who owns the ex Fury/Scott Bluebird Turbo Group C touring car, did a full flush and is now sing the Evans stuff, he has said the temps are stable, and has had no issue.
Based on that, and other testimony, i will be putting it into the ex Fury FJ24 engined Dato 120Y

I will NOT use ethylene glycol based products as they cause engines to run hotter.
I have used both Redline Water Wetter, and Penrite SIN coolant, both are same product, and both are very good under harsh race conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:50 am 

dat2kman wrote:
Bloke I have known for many years, is very cluey on lots of car stuff, mainly old school, is the Qld Distributor for this product, he's trying to talk me into sing it in the race cars.
Recently a good mate, who owns the ex Fury/Scott Bluebird Turbo Group C touring car, did a full flush and is now sing the Evans stuff, he has said the temps are stable, and has had no issue.
Based on that, and other testimony, I will be putting it into the ex Fury FJ24 engined Dato 120Y

I will NOT use ethylene glycol based products as they cause engines to run hotter.
I have used both Redline Water Wetter, and Penrite SIN coolant, both are same product, and both are very good under harsh race conditions.
ethyl based coolants do not make car run hotter. what proof do you have ? with evans coolant , youd be screwed if you had a leak, you cant just add water to top up.
Evans works best when there is less than 3% water in the cooling system
http://www.3si.org/forum/f11/dumping-ev ... up-206021/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:52 am 
Guru

Never had problems with Genuine Nissan long life coolant, around 94% ethylene glycol.
When I was working with Nissan network back in the 70s in the N.T. a 50/50 mix of LLC & distilled water was the go.
Towing long distances allowed coolant temps of over 110c with no problems.
I have used this in all my vehicles for 45 years. If the coolant system is set up correctly you wont have a problem.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:40 pm 

When I had my 68 fairlane with a mild 351 Cleveland I struggled to keep it cool, then found water wetter, it's a great product and can mix with any coolant, made a noticeable difference and I will be putting it in the datto once it's being used more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:41 am 

Nothing wrong with water wetter. I used the Motul stuff and it didn't make things worse.