Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:18 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Hi everybody, I have a set of perfect, rust-free doors that I am about to bolt on to my 200B, as the ones on there are not-so-rust-free. Now the car is parked in the driveway but not undercover, and at this point it time is where it will have to stay. The doors in question have been stored undercover but outside under a laserlite roof for the last four years or so. They are still pretty good but a couple of them have had some slight surface rust start to appear on the outside. They're in original Datsun paint currently.

I don't want to bolt these doors on and then six months later see them rust away as that would be a complete waste, so can anyone suggest a good way of preventing them from rusting away once out in the open? Honestly it could be a couple of years before the car gets garaged again, I'm not sure at this point. I have had people suggest POR-15 or Fish Oil. I have heard of the latter used in several cases by numerous people. The shell has held up well in this time with no protection but I'd probably use the same product throughout all areas.

Thanks in advance, Alistair :thumbsup:

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:16 pm 

Hi Alistair, The only way to prevent the outside of the panels from rusting , is to paint them correctly. I personally would not use POR-15 on outside surfaces. I would use it on the back of the panels (inside where the window mechanism is). I have a preference for cavity wax inside panels, as it gets into all the crevices. The problem with painting inside panels like doors is, if the paint lifts, cracks etc, moisture gets in behind and causes what you are trying to avoid RUST. Wax will not break down over time like fish oil, doe's not smell like fish oil. Wax will stay where it is put until it is removed. I should also I have been a Panel Beater for over 30 yrs. If you want to see some of my work go to Facebook: Lance's Auto Body Restorations.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:46 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Thanks chimp. I'll have a look for some cavity wax in that case. Hopefully it will preserve my panels for a little longer. Thanks again :)

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.