Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:19 am 

i received my grille back from the chromers. only problem is that they drilled out all rivets so they could chrome/polish the centre and outers respectively. dicks. anyway, bolted it back together with the smallest stainless screws i could get from shop. doesnt look too bad. (if you're wondering why i didnt just rivet it back together, go grab your rivet gun and see if it fits inbetween top and bottom sections. it doesnt.)

my question is, did i bolt it back together correctly? i thought the entire grille was meant to be straight from left to right? notice in the pic the sharper bend in the top section? any pointers would be appreciated (even with the rivet gun if you know a trick)
:thumbsup:

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:25 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Looks like youve bent the verticle braces at the rear of the grille a little.
You can straighten them by hand so that the top two bars sit parallel with the middle bars.
At the moment it looks like those top two bars are pointing up at the sky a bit.

Tip for rivetting a grille is that some guns have a tapered tip and others dont. Try to get a narrow tip so that it fits between the bars better.
The other thing you can do is drop a couple small nuts (M3?) inbetween the rivet and the rivet gun. Itll help space the gun back but still do up the rivet. Vary the nut size or quantity to achieve the right spacing but beware that if you space it too much the gun wont grip on the rivet...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:40 am 

i thought there was something wrong. the chromers had everything to do with grille. even vertical brackets. all i did was grab it all out, unwrap, and bolt up.

will try mucking around with brackets then.

i'll try the rivet tips. cheers mate