Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: ignition timing
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:29 pm 

I'm trying to get my efi turbo l series started. My microtech book says i need to set static timing on my dizzy to 10 deg before tdc.

I have always set timing at 800rpm with a timing light and don't know how to set static timing.what i have noted is that the rotor button and the dizzy (bluebird series 2) have a mark on them. see pic

My question is this, does the mark on the dizzy represent the point at which number 1 lead will fire, or is it just before (10 deg or so) so that if your engine is at tdc you line it up and your ignition timing will be what ever the bluebird was supposed to have (10 deg or so at 800rpm).

Practically i want to know should i set the engine to 10 deg before tdc and then set the dizzy to this mark or should i set the engine to tdc then set the dizzy to this mark.

also does anyone know what 10 deg static would translate to at idle?

cheers Cam

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
RIMG0622 (2).jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 1778 times ]

Last edited by stoutcatcher on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: ignition timing
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:13 pm 
Guru

Your crankshaft pulley will have notches in it for ignition timing.
The LHS notch is TDC for #1, then 5deg BTDC, 10deg BTDC, 15 and 20deg BTDC.
Rotate the crank so that the pulley notch for 10deg BTDC is aligned with the timing pointer.
Now you need to loosen the distributor clamp bolt so that you can rotate the distributor body in relation to the timing cover.
Plug a timing light into the centre terminal of the distributor cap and ground the other lead.
With the Ignition turned on, carefully rotate the distributor body until you see the timing light flash.
That is when the spark will occur so tighten the clamp bolt at that point.
As an example, the L16 pulley is like so: -
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
Static timing procedure.jpg [ 128.2 KiB | Viewed 1778 times ]
It is only a base timing setting, I assume the ECU will modify that value when you get it operating.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:54 pm 

if you look at it the easy way your trigger should be set to roughly 90BTDC and timeing for idle should be set to 12BTDC this should get it started from there all you need to do is bring your trigger and your timeing down to where you need it within range.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 pm 

Thanks Guys,

Nissanman why should i clamp onto the centre terminal on the dizzy? isn't this the one that goes to the coil not spark plug number 1. also the timing light i have clamps onto the lead rather than plugging into the terminal. does this matter?

when you say ground the lead, which lead are you talking about? I'm assuming you mean the neg lead to the timing light.

Sorry to be a dumb arse.

Cheers

Cam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:01 pm 
Guru

You're not a dumb arse!
I had a brain fade. I meant cyl#1 on the dist. cap :oops: :oops:
Don't know what I was thinking of when I said that, obviously not the problem at hand!
If the Timing Light you have is the Inductive type, i.e. clamp on, then you just need ground and +12V for the light power source :wink:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:32 pm 

sweet, all makes sense, will give it a go.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:43 am 

stoutcatcher i was allways told throughout my mechanical years by my teacher that there is never a dumbor silly question only a stupid answer and nobody is dumb everybody learns at there own pace, you may thin your dumb but in a few years you might know alot more then half of us on here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:06 pm 

Thanks mate, but i'm not so sure. I think i may have had my ignition timing 180deg out.

Now that's dumb :lol:

but we've all done things like that and i doubt it'll be the last time i make a mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:08 pm 

hey nobody can learn without stuffing up hell i did when i was in my first year i destroyed the engine in a 95 clubsport by replaceing all the timeing gear wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:40 pm 

ouch! hope your boss was a nice bloke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:58 am 

yer he just laughed at me and told me to order a new engine in was gonna be alot cheaper then fixing it. he passed away a few years ago. he was an excellent bloke very very patient and allways kept his cool never went off at anybody. and allways took the time to go out of his way to help others. taight me alot of things i allready knew and alot of things i didnt know. for instance if you put a race cam into an l20b with a turbo you need to work the engine to run properly but if you get a stage 2 performance cam with light engine work head, rods, valves and springs and a turbo it you will blow the doors off one with a race cam every time. and the dredded falcon 6 head gasket blowouts, if you get a die grinder and open up the water port at the far rear drivers side by just a little more you eliminate the pocket of air that allways gets trapped there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:53 pm 

sounds like a great mentor. Thanks again for the advice

Cam