Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:16 am 

I have a pair of the volvo 4 spots and wondered are they the same bolt spacing as the 200b strut. This is going on a Stanza. possibly with the DBA425 verada discs.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Photo0458_2.jpg [ 38.83 KiB | Viewed 2560 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:28 am 

Measure the hole spacing. If it's not 3.5" then it won't fit without an adaptor. If it is 3.5", then it might fit (many other variables too).

I had Volvo 4 spots (solid disc) and they were 3" bolt spacing, like the 1600's, 180B's and early stanzas too I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:32 am 

Warps wrote:
Measure the hole spacing. If it's not 3.5" then it won't fit without an adaptor. If it is 3.5", then it might fit (many other variables too).

I had Volvo 4 spots (solid disc) and they were 3" bolt spacing, like the 1600's, 180B's and early stanzas too I believe.
Asked as I don't have the 200b struts yet. They bolt on the stanza struts, but don't allow a big enough rotor, and the stanza tube is small, hence thinking of using 200b struts. Have not been able to source 240k struts here in Launceston which is the usual choice I understand.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:50 am 

I meant measure the bolt spacing on the caliper. I have a feeling that there are a couple of different Volvo calipers, and they may have different bolt spacings. As I said the ones I had were 3", but that doesnt mean that they all are.

The 200B, 240K both have 3.5" bolt spacings, I believe that the later Stanzas do as well, but the early Stanzas have 3" spacing. Don't know when the cut off dates are, though.

The 200B struts are like the early 240K ones, and had a 10" (253mm) rotor. This was achieved by having the caliper mounting ears closer to the centreline of the stub axle. The later 240K and C210 (next model Skyline) used a bigger rotor (270mm - ish) and these had the mounting ears a little further away from the centreline to allow the bigger rotor.

I actually thought that all the Datsun tubes were the same size (50mm OD). Again, could be wrong as I haven't played with all the different models. I know that when I had the rotary Mazda I was always dumstruck at how tiny the steering / suspension components were compared to the good old dattos. I ended up beefing it up with datsun bits wherever I could (much to the disgust of the rotards)

Another option you could consider is to use a dogbone adaptor bracket (machine from 10mm steel plate) and use that to mount your existing calipers further out to allow bigger rotors. Will obviously affect what rotor offset you can use, and may also effect your wheel offset. Just something to consider - might be easier and cheaper in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:44 pm 

Warps wrote:
I meant measure the bolt spacing on the caliper. I have a feeling that there are a couple of different Volvo calipers, and they may have different bolt spacings. As I said the ones I had were 3", but that doesnt mean that they all are.

The 200B, 240K both have 3.5" bolt spacings, I believe that the later Stanzas do as well, but the early Stanzas have 3" spacing. Don't know when the cut off dates are, though.

The 200B struts are like the early 240K ones, and had a 10" (253mm) rotor. This was achieved by having the caliper mounting ears closer to the centreline of the stub axle. The later 240K and C210 (next model Skyline) used a bigger rotor (270mm - ish) and these had the mounting ears a little further away from the centreline to allow the bigger rotor.

I actually thought that all the Datsun tubes were the same size (50mm OD). Again, could be wrong as I haven't played with all the different models. I know that when I had the rotary Mazda I was always dumstruck at how tiny the steering / suspension components were compared to the good old dattos. I ended up beefing it up with datsun bits wherever I could (much to the disgust of the rotards)

Another option you could consider is to use a dogbone adaptor bracket (machine from 10mm steel plate) and use that to mount your existing calipers further out to allow bigger rotors. Will obviously affect what rotor offset you can use, and may also effect your wheel offset. Just something to consider - might be easier and cheaper in the long run.
Thanks Warps, yes I realized you meant the caliper bolt spacing. Will check the Volvo calipers when I get home. They are the ones with the twin inlet brake pipes.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:16 am 

Gerard & Warps, what Volvo are we talking about here?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:52 pm 

I think mine were from a 264, but apparently there are a few different calipers used on the Volvos. they were fitted tot he car when I got it.

The volvo brakes were all the rage in the 80's, but these days there are many other options as good if not better, for not much money.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:42 pm 

Sorry for the delay. Mine are off a 240.
I now have the 200B struts but looks like they are the small disc model. Not sure what vented disc I can use on them, or caliper?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:58 pm 

Thanks Gerard & Warps

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:55 am 

Hi Gerard I also have the smaller 200b struts i found an old set of toyota hilux callipers 4 pot that bolt straight on only thing is i think you need an s13 disc machined out to bolt on.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
DSC00651.JPG [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 2395 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC00617.JPG [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 2395 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:24 pm 

speedyfox200b wrote:
Hi Gerard I also have the smaller 200b struts I found an old set of toyota hilux callipers 4 pot that bolt straight on only thing is I think you need an s13 disc machined out to bolt on.
By machined do you mean re-drilled? or something else?

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:43 am 

well this is where it gets confusing mine is the short strut with 253mm disc, There are Hilux calipers that take 10 or 12mm solid, 20mm vented and 24mm vented i have 20mm I cant find the info on the s13 discs now but everyone seems to lead back to 255mm x 20mm vented Toyota Tarago disc (DBA 157 or 158, I can't remember which - there is 2.5mm difference in offset). Im still not sre if they slide straight on the hub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 pm 

Update- I have bought off ozdat a pair of hilux four spots and magna vented discs. Will go together with a little machining off the caliper mounts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:03 pm 

Dont anyone go Volvo calipers... they are utter crap!

My FJ1600 had them and after rebuilding the calipers 3 times. I still found them to be pathetic, so so so heavy and small pistons, then you got problems with x feeding the fluid to the second piston unless you run a T and two lines. I couldnt do that with mine as I had a dogleg bracket on the 240k coilovers to lift the caliper up so it wouldnt foul on the tie rods and steering knuckles

My setup used a big vented disk tho but had to be drilled from 5 to 4 stud and it cracked between the holes, not worth stuffing around with

Seriously pick up a set of R32 gtst alloy calipers and you will be amazed just how light they are, and they will put your head through the windshield compared to the volvo ones

For the record also, pads are hard to find for the smaller of the volvo pad types. I had to search for months for old 80's stock pads, keep your option open and use something that has propper support from bendix and the sort

A Datsport setup is something thats worth investing in... I would never want to stuff around with that volvo crap again. Have had no problems with me and my mates Datsport setups, bolt in and pass brake tests no worries. Keeps the insurance happy too

Nomis :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:15 pm 

Gerard wrote:
Update- I have bought off ozdat a pair of hilux four spots and magna vented discs. Will go together with a little machining off the caliper mounts.
i've also got the hilux four pots and the small 253mm rotors. do you know what the part number of the discs were or what model magna they were off??

I'm finding it really hard to find consistent info on the disc that goes with this setup