Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: volvo brakes on 1600
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:53 pm 

just curious about an upgrade for my 1600, can get a set of 4 piston calipers off an old volvo, the car is being scrapped as all old volvos should be but i can take whatever i need, does anyone know much about this sort of conversion i can get the rears as well, i know r31 are simple for the rears but you seen pick and payless lately no r31 rears at all :x and the volvos free, i just tryin to decide if its worth gettin all dirty and sh*t playin with an old volvo. i still have standard 1600 struts i believe again i sound dumb but is there anyway i can tell?? cheers guys ill admit im a newbie at adapting parts to fit other cars :thumbsup:

Post subject: Re: volvo brakes on 1600
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:44 pm 

Yep, grab the Volvo calipers if they're 4 piston.

I have 4 spot Volvos on the front of my RX2 rally car (solid disc, so out of a 164 series Volvo) and RX7 rear discs, and the brakes feel very good. Haven't faded them in a rally yet (180RWHP). The calipers on mine are 3" bolt centres which bolt straight to a 1600 strut. Don't know if the vented caliper ones are different.

Yes, these days there are many better choices for brakes, and for bigger $$$, but if you get them for nothing, then what is there to lose? I think I paid about $45 each for brand new RDA discs (Volvo 164) for my car. Had to machine them down and redrill to 4 stud, but it all fits under a 13" wheel.

Last edited by Warps on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:03 pm 

Yep go for it good calipers.

Try to use the later girling type as there are more pad choices for these. Also remember Volvo run a twin system for their brakes so each caliper has two lines feeding it. A common fix and what i also did is to block off one inlet And cross drill them internally.

this is what i run on my race car:- Volvo 4 spots, 240k strut and corolla rotor(232mm)

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Cnv0009.jpg [ 118.43 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:45 am 

thanks guys ill pull them off the car and have a decent look at fitting them up then just wanted some assurance they weren rubbish like the rest of the volvo