Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: front brake setup
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:44 pm 

i found the info below on a link and am wondering if this is all true. i have stanza struts, will the vl/verada setup fit on them. also will this fit under a 14 inch rim. and will this be enough brakes for a SR20det in a 120y. was going to buy maddat set up but wanna run 14s not 15s.

The standard 180B brakes, although disc in origin (front only), do not adequately perform when the newly founded vehicle's motor puts out in excess of 200hp. Though to many, this may not seem like a lot of power, it certainly pushes the 180B beyond the 200km/h mark quite easily. Consequently, when duty is called upon the 180B, it hits high speed (legally ofcourse) and slows repeatedly within short times meaning larger brakes are needed.

The cheapest option is to keep the brakes standard and believe me when some people do this, as crazy as it sounds. Wanting to live past 30, I never envisioned to have a brake setup any other than with large ventilated disc brakes and large calipers. This reasoning flawed the next cheapest brake upgrade, the 240K strut-disc-caliper combo (solid discs and small calipers).

I purchased a set of S14 4-spot calipers. But unfortunately, it was quite difficult to fit these calipers. Needless to say, after I decided to sell the 4-spot calipers, someone manufactured mounting brackets to which could bolt these calipers onto the standard datsun strut (gutted).

Anyway, the simplest and most cost-effective option is the bolt-on VL turbo brake upgrade. Funny how everyone always calls them the VL turbo calipers. This is correct, but these calipers are in fact identical to the VS, VN and VL naturally aspirated counterparts. Go in to the wrecker and ask for the VL turbo caliper and the bastard will charge you more than if you ask for a VN caliper.

The VL turbo disc brake upgrade is easy. You simply reverse your struts (ie use the original left strut and swap it for the right) and bolt the caliper foward onto the strut with a 1.5mm shim/washer. The vented rotors used in question are from the mitsibishi Verada and they are available from DBA as "425" (276mm x 24mm). I initially performed the brake conversion with non-slotted rotors as seen below (standard 180B brakes vs VL calipers + verada vented discs), but then moved onto slotted rotors which I had CNC aligned to drill the 4-stud datsun pattern.

(parts car)77' 120y coupe...

Post subject: Re: front brake setup
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:33 pm 

Firstly, you need late model 180B struts so the Commodore calipers bolt on and they have the big stub axle so 200B/240K hubs can be used with the Verada disk, giving the correct offset for the calipers and Datsun wheels can bolt back on. From memory, Stanza struts have the wide bolt pattern like 240K, so VL calipers will not bolt on, rendering Stanza struts no good in this situation.

A couple of other mistakes: VL Turbo calipers are the same as VN V8 (not VN V6 and VL naturally aspirated), Same as VS and VR V6 (they went to the finned caliper and larger rotor). Basically Commodore calipers have the same bolt pattern for mounting, but the difference lies in the cast bracket that is taller (thus accepting a larger disk rotor) in the Turbo, V8 and later model Commodores.

Apart from that what he says is pretty much correct.

Easily enough brakes for the 120Y, but only if good pads are used and should fit under SOME 14's, depending on offset and manufacture.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:59 pm 

Yep I've done this with my 180B

75 model 180B struts
VR commodore fin calipers
VR commodore brake hoses
DBA425RLS Verada rotors
Bendix ultimate pads (lots of dust!)

and I only placed a washer in between the mounting ears on the truts and the caliper bracket and that worked fine for me.

you will find that the pads dont use up all of the surface on the rotors but they still work just fine.

Do stay away from the Bendix pads unless you don't mind cleaning your wheels every weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:02 pm 

oh ok, these are the struts i have purchased........Shortened 200B/Stanza struts.

i have not got hubs yet. what will be the best and easiest set up for the front that fits under a olds chool jap 3 piece rim?

if it comes down to it i might go 15s but i want the Y to look compleltly asleep.

i have tried searching the site but man i cant use computers properly. haha

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
strut.jpg [ 17.97 KiB | Viewed 2921 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:41 pm 

A mate of mine had 200B struts with a Hilux 4 spot caliper.

The caliper bolts straight on to the 200B mounting points and he used a standard solid 200B rotor bolted to a 200B hub. This was on a 1600 race car and it pulled up well with no fade (I have been in the car at Wakefield). You need to use early model Hilux calipers to suit a soild disk, if you decide to go this way. On a 120Y, (with decent pads - definately not Bendix! I think my mate was using Black Flash) it would stop very well - especially for a street car. He was using 13 inch jellybean mags with this brake combo too.

How does that sound mate?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:14 pm 

thats sounds fantatic, but is there ventilated disk to suit that setup?

cheers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:32 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

natefacekiller wrote:

Wanting to live past 30, I never envisioned to have a brake setup any other than with large ventilated disc brakes and large calipers. This reasoning flawed the next cheapest brake upgrade, the 240K strut-disc-caliper combo (solid discs and small calipers).
Dont knock the 240k twin spot fronts, especially when used with disc rears like R31 etc.
Many datto racecars use them with race pads (Hawke etc) including z-cars and they work a treat and fit under 14's and some 13's.
Remember you are not trying to pull up a 1400kg commonwhore/verada.
Just my 2c.
p.s. I have big vented brakes on a couple cars and they are way overkill. They cost alot too when combined with large rims/tyres to fit over them and usually require custom components or rotors mchined (pita, legal?). I am planning to go back to widened stockies and hubcaps one day and will do something simple and proven like 240k/R31 which essentially bolt-on...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:24 pm 

Just go with the Hilux 4poters and the verada rotors DBA425SRL make sure the calipers you use have the SW13 stamped on the casting.

I'm sure there is a thread on here with all the info you need.

someone really needs to do a tech article on this.

Oh but wait I think there is one on Datfusion.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:27 pm 

here I just found the link: http://www.datfusion.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:31 pm 

thanks so much six-ten, would i normal brake place be able to enlarge the centre hole and put the holes to suit?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:01 am 

natefacekiller wrote:
thanks so much six-ten, would i normal brake place be able to enlarge the centre hole and put the holes to suit?
I don't see why they couldn't, but would be better going to an engineer or metal fab joint.

I bought mine with the hole already enlarged and the holes for the hub drilled.

it was piss easy to put together, if anythign the hardest part is getting the old rotor off form the hub, everything else just bolts right up to the commodore brake lines, but you might wanna replace them since they flex and expand like crazy.

Braided would be best :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:49 pm 

i work in a metal fab place. tradesman almost haha. yeah should be easy. will go get discs soon. should be sweet. i have to get hub assemblies still..... stanza? 200b? does it matter?
after that it will be rolling again and i will get it out the shed and take some pics and do a members car thing. ewww gross a 120y coupe. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:54 pm 

natefacekiller wrote:
i work in a metal fab place. tradesman almost haha. yeah should be easy. will go get discs soon. should be sweet. i have to get hub assemblies still..... stanza? 200b? does it matter?
after that it will be rolling again and i will get it out the shed and take some pics and do a members car thing. ewww gross a 120y coupe. :lol:
I'm pretty sure a 200B hub shall do.

would have to do another search to see which ones to use, because I've completely forgotten.

Hey a Datsun is a Datsun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:59 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

SIX-TEN wrote:
Just go with the Hilux 4poters and the verada rotors DBA425SRL make sure the calipers you use have the SW13 stamped on the casting.
Can you use 14 inch wheels with this setup? I'm looking at doing this to upgrade the brakes on my 200B. I looked at SIX-TEN's setup, which is fine, except I don't want Commodore parts on my car :lol:

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.