Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:12 pm 

ProL18,

Mate, I wasn't having a go. I just thought it was a joke to start off with, then thought I would jump on the bandwagon.

Thanx for the job recommendation! Naomi Robson sorta does it form me... :oops:

Just stick to the original topic and try and best answer the question posted. If you wanna Hijack, then do it elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:12 pm 

my apologies.

it sounded like you were being sarcastic.

and on that note - all i said was "unless you turn to toyota engines..."

everyone else then proceeded to hijack the thread.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:03 pm 

Nik,

Fair point. I kind of thought the inital topic was covered in the first few posts, but meh.

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:01 pm 

Sorry to shift the topic back on track but I thought some would be interested in this little monstrosity currently being built.

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/ind ... 04389&st=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:21 pm 

Firstly I never hijacked this thread (until now that is)
This is only my 3rd post on this thread.
I never once "bagged out" the RB26.
It's a great motor but seems to have some flaws.
I only made the comment "You try getting 500hp from a stock RB26 bottom end.."
Some people took offense at this (fair enough)
I should have said "Reliable 500hp"
I also should have posted the below with my above comment and thus avoided all the hijacking.

These exerts are taken from HPI no.59 GT-R specail 05
nothing has been changed or altered from the original text.
I couldn't scan them as they are to big for posting. (1.5mb each A4 scan)

In this article the owners/builders of the 5 fastest GT-Rs in OZ are all asked the same questions.

Here are their responces...

SA
KEIR WILSON- WILLALL RACING
8sec drag car
fastest radial GT-R outside of Japan
What is the RB26DETT motor's weak link?
Definitely oil control. While we have never broken a oil pump on a race engine, the way in which the oil system works needs a lot of attention to get a durable result. You generate massive launch Gs witha 1.2sec 60ft time, and controllong the oil during this period is extremeley important.

How good are the standard engines and what can be achieved with the stock components?
I can tell you right now that they are very good. We tested an internally stock RB26DETT at willowbank a couple of years ago and managed to record a 10.5sec pass at 142mph. That engine has now seen over 20,000 on it as an everyday street car and still hasn't missed a beat.

QLD
THEO WOOLETT-BRISBANE STREET MACHINES
9sec radial tyred R32 GT-R
Early in reasurch and development, we had problems where we broke a few oil pumps and then later on when making more horsepower, we had problems with number five and six cylinders and the standard crank can be a huge problem with massive RPM.

How good are the standard engines and what can be achieved with stock components?
Standard engines are okay for a daily driver and a weekend warrior, but you can't beat a highly modified engine for a everyday warrior.

NSW
JIM SOUVAS- CROYDON RACING DEVELOPMENTS
Australias fastest GT-R (GTR-700) 8.2secs
Most guys that have worked on the RB26DETT know that the oil control is a big problem with them. You need to address this with an improved oiling system right at the very start of development or you will be constantly fixing the engine.
Another problem at high power levels is the stock block, which can crack and fail.

How good are the standard engines and what can be achieved with stock components?
It really depends on what you are using the engine for. There have been plenty of guys that have run 10s on them, we even did it ourselves using a strengthened valvetrain and a set of cams on a R34 GT-R.
The big question is, how lomg will a stock engine continue to run 10's for?
I really can't give you the answer to that one!

WA
ANTHONY SCALI- XSPEED
WA's first 10sec GT-R
The harmonics in the RB26 engine are a major problem after 8000rpm, and by the time you get to 10,000rpm, you can be in all sorts of trouble if you haven't worked out a solution for the harmonics.
This in turn is related to the centre of the block issue and that's where the blocks start to crack. But it is all aviodable with preparation, experience and knowing what parts to use.

Everybody has their own opinion on this, but realistically, it can vary so much depending on the preperation work undertaken prior to build-up, never mind the quality of the components- stock or otherwise- used.
As a general and very basic rule of thumb, though, you'd be looking at no more than 450 rear-wheel horsepower safely and reliably with the stock internals plus basic aftermarket bolt on including turbos.

VIC
GERALD MOINARFFY- ICE PERFORMANCE
10sec radial-tyred GT-R
In standard form, the cast pistons will only take so much. Bearing wear can occur prematurely due to low oil pressure from an inadequate oil pump, and insufficient bearing clearances can be an issue on high-power stock engines. In modified form, the block is the weakest link- too much cylinder pressure will warp the bores and crack the block around the head bolt recesses into the water jackets. The crank and rods are extremely tough as standard components.

A totally standard engine with standard turbos, running engine management, adjustable cam gears, K&N panel or pod filters and free-flowing exhaust can make 250rwkw.
An engine with standard internals and extrenal mods can reliably make 330rwkw and sustain bursts of up to 400rwkw, but will not last long at that level.

GERALD MIONARFFY also had this to say...
Why is the RB26DETT so exalted over other Japanese engines?
It's really due to the GT-R being the best sports car to ever come out of Japan, and it happens to have the RB26 fitted to it.
The 2JZ is really a superior six-cylinder engine, as it has a number of features that make it superior to the RB26. That is namely the size of the main and rod journals and the siamesed block and superior oiling attributes.
Ultimaetly, a 2JZ in the GT-R would be the ultimate combination of vehicle and engine.

end of quotes.

I just want to add that for what was really a "off the cuff" remark, some people took it a little to seriously.
I never said it as fact despite these people taking it as such.
I didn't want to post the above quotes, hence it taking me so long to do so, but certain remarks from some individuals forced my hand.

ALL OF THE ABOVE QUOTES ARE PERSONAL OPINION DRAWN FROM EXPERIENCE, AND AS SUCH SHOULDN"T BE TAKEN AS FACT.

1977 P610/180B Wagon Daily Driver