Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:28 pm 

The Datsport kits are the way to go as they completely alter the geometry of the car and replace all those overdue bushings... the price is set that high cause theres alot of engineering thats gone into these and if your dats worth doin up why not do it safe and engineered

saying that Im sure it can be done if your cluey and have all the avalible equipment...

But you still have to shorten the tailshaft and stuff around with lifting it in and out while you fabricate the mounts

In a Bluebird SIII you use the CA20 original mounts and stuff bolted to the CA18 Block... this means Ca20 box

Different gearing and less advanced than S13 but piss cheap to replace from pick a part

I have not attemped to mate the 1600 with either of my Ca's so im unsure as to where it will sit... so if anyone else wants to jump in ill shutup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:28 pm 

Yeah those holes in the inlet look like a biatch to plug up... i've pulled the DE inlet apart and now i have to get the small screws which hold the flaps to the rod undone... when this is done i will be able to remove the rod and split it into the two parts...

Ill have to ask the welder down the road from work and see if he can get any in there... then i guess the weld would have to be die grinded back flush.

This will be trial and error and if by some chance one of the welds were to ever release it would cause alot of damage before it made its way through the cylinder, turbine and exhaust

BTW this is not high on my priority lists ATM but ill post pros and cons when i get around to modding it

I have alot more CA info scattered around my room and ill post when i can... Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:55 am 

Hey guys,

As most of the info so far has been mechanical I thought I might contribute something on the EFI side of things.

The CA's are blessed with a rather capable system. Which Mr. Nissan calls ECCS. It is very similar to that of the SR20 with a couple of notable differences : the CA can be tuned without needing to fit a daughterboard like the SR, and the CA missed out on the "Consult" diagnostic port - which is kind of a bummer. But not the end of the world.

The bottom line is that the standard EFI system is perfectly useable for engine conversions. It's quite flexible and, being AFM based, it will handle mild modifications without a re-tune.

But the best part is that if you want to have a play, the CA's ECCS system is very easy to re-tune yourself. All you need is a PC, an EPROM burner and some free software called ROM Editor. Remove the standard chip, fit a socket, then start tuning. Removing boost cut and changing RPM limit is a doddle. Then once you're familiar with the basics you can start looking at bigger AFM, bigger injectors etc. The sky's the limit. Many people think that because you are using the factory system that there's some sort of limit to the power you can get from it - totally untrue.

And the best part is that you'll have an engine that still retains perfect manners (and fuel useage) even once it's quite highly modified. For those willing to do some tuning themselves the rewards are considerable.

PL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:23 pm 

DATWILLDECM8,,
Any more Ca18 progress? (getting rid of the inlet butterflys).
Cheers,
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:44 pm 

PL wrote:
Hey guys,

As most of the info so far has been mechanical I thought I might contribute something on the EFI side of things.

The CA's are blessed with a rather capable system. Which Mr. Nissan calls ECCS. It is very similar to that of the SR20 with a couple of notable differences : the CA can be tuned without needing to fit a daughterboard like the SR, and the CA missed out on the "Consult" diagnostic port - which is kind of a bummer. But not the end of the world.

The bottom line is that the standard EFI system is perfectly useable for engine conversions. It's quite flexible and, being AFM based, it will handle mild modifications without a re-tune.

But the best part is that if you want to have a play, the CA's ECCS system is very easy to re-tune yourself. All you need is a PC, an EPROM burner and some free software called ROM Editor. Remove the standard chip, fit a socket, then start tuning. Removing boost cut and changing RPM limit is a doddle. Then once you're familiar with the basics you can start looking at bigger AFM, bigger injectors etc. The sky's the limit. Many people think that because you are using the factory system that there's some sort of limit to the power you can get from it - totally untrue.

And the best part is that you'll have an engine that still retains perfect manners (and fuel useage) even once it's quite highly modified. For those willing to do some tuning themselves the rewards are considerable.

PL
Ok that sounds all well and good that you can tune them "yourself" but what good is it going to do you if you don't have access to a Dyno ????
On road tuning isn't really a viable option either.

I'm not having a go at you, just that it isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

1977 P610/180B Wagon Daily Driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:26 pm 

looking at getting a ca18det, its rooted. i'll give the story quickly and see if you reccon its worth it...
mate had 180sx, done bottom end bearing, replaced bottom end, used wrong oil filter 1st up, then got the right filter on it but didnt put enough oil back in and did the bottom end again. he's pretty familiar with the knocking sound now!
its stock apart from brass button clutch, ca20 gearbox (which is rooted i reccon) and a t28 turbo, which he'll be keeping and probably give me the t25 off his sr20 he's getting.
400 bucks for the lot (engine, both bottom ends, all manifolds, ecu, full loom, gearbox, t25 if i want it)
opinions?

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, get it Dave.
Sounds reasonable.
Should be an easy fix.

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:29 pm 

what are there standard 1/4 mole time and horsepower? oh and check out <b>www.datsun.co.nz</B> there should be some pics of ca18det[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:29 pm 

Hey guys.

I have never seen or heard of any Euro heads in NZ????
I've had/pulled apart about 4 or 5 CA's, so I guess I coulda just had all jap spec stuff.

As far as the butterflies go, it has been proven ( on a CA18DET specific forum I read ), that unless your looking for a whole lot of top end power, and dont care about low end response, then the butterflies are worth KEEPING!

Also, I do a fair bit of ECU tuning, as "PL" was talking about.
although now ( in about a month ), there is a guy that has made a daughterboard for the CA18 ECU that allows it to have the consult capabilities.
Which is GREAT news!
With this board, and the software ( and your choice of wideband O2 sensor ), you essentially have a more powerfull tuning tool than most aftermarket ECU's.

It will be able to do realtime map tracing....which means that as the engine runs, there is a highlighted cell on your fuel or IGN map that tells you exactly where the ECU is looking, so that you can make changes accordingly, in a much quicker and more accurate way.
His board also uses NVRAM, instead of eproms. which means you can do away with chips, and chip burners/erasers!
just plug the ECU into your laptop, and program!

Post subject: 8 port inlets
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:27 pm 

As far as I know, the extra ports are for airflow at high rpm. At low rpm, less air is needed to produce the right swirl patterns in the combustion chamber. Every engine also has it's own helmholtz resonance which only occurs at a certain rpm. The variable intake manifold design of the ca(and many others) allows the engine to have two resonance points. I'm currently doing my thesis on a continually variable intake manifold(ala BMWs VLIM system) to give the engine the ability to have a constant resonance at virtually all operating rpms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:19 pm 

hey guys. just want to know what turbos u are runnin on your ca's. i am lookin to run a 2876r on mine. but i am open to ideas. good to see so many dattos with the mighty ca.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:24 pm 

hey guys, i have just bought a 120y 4 door and im planning on putting in a ca18det. what kind of gearbox n diff would i need for this to work out. please reply ??

cheers, ozzy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:42 pm 

use standard s13 gearbox need to modify the tunnel and make up mounts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:54 pm 

this seems like the place too ask questions about the ca18de
getting more hp out of my motor wit out touching the internals ??
all the small rubber pipes on the manifold are they needed they look messy ?? i guess they are vacume hoses ??
and wat quartes mile time does a standard silvia ca18de man do ??
and has anyone got a idear on wat a datto 1200 ute wit a ca18de does down the quarter mile ??

XR8 tow car
stocko 1200 ute

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:57 pm 

perthute wrote:
this seems like the place too ask questions about the ca18de
getting more hp out of my motor wit out touching the internals ??buy some 2nd hand bits and pieces off a DET to turbo it and run only 6-7psi, relatively cheap & great performance increase
all the small rubber pipes on the manifold are they needed they look messy ?? i guess they are vacume hoses ??yes, most likely - but post a pic if it looks odd so people can see what you're on about
and wat quartes mile time does a standard silvia ca18de man do ??not quick - about 15.5 IIRC
and has anyone got a idear on wat a datto 1200 ute wit a ca18de does down the quarter mile ?? no idea, but a guess would be mid-low 14's, but lots of variables unaccounted for