Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 am 

Latest update

I have been very slack and have all of a sudden given myself a kick up the arse to get my car back together.I had an operation on my arm in June and was in cast 3 months and was unable to work on car but I have been out of it for 3 months and still was being slack so its time to get back into it.
I sent the motor to a Very good engine builder in Hawkesbay here and he got the block and head and CC'd it and skimmed a bit off the block to raise compression, acid dipped everything, machined and balanced the crank, machined the bores, measured everything and lightened the flywheel a little bit more and I have since got it back and painted the block and matched ported the extractors to the head because they are sh*t Coby ones and were so far out it was not funny.The cam is going to franklins in the next week or so for what they call a stage 6 grind which means bugger all to me as im a joiner not a mechanic and dont understand cams at all. I am ordering the rings, bearings, oil and water pump and gasket set in the next week or two and then throwing it back togeth

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:38 am 

Went out to shed after work and did a few hours putting bits and pieces on the engine.
Fitted webbers, extractors, pulleys, oil pressure sender etc
I still have to paint the rocker cover in black wrinkle paint but its on ther to keep the dust out for now.
took a few photos of the engine and also the new brake lines. Just have to buy a wilwood brake bias tap. ordered a new thrust bearing and spigot bush today so when they get here the engine/box can be fitted. im a bit unsure on the black crank pulley.I originally painted it blue and that looked tacky so I sprayed it black and now not sure. Maybe electriplated like the water pump pulley.

Also put new brake lines through the entire car as the old ones where sh*t.

SORRY ABOUT THE sh*t QUALITY PHOTOS, THY ARE OFF MY PHONE

[ img ]

Going to fit Bias tap between seats
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Had the rocker cover powdercoated in Black ripple paint
[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:10 pm 

just wondering what size exhaust to build for this engine. Not sure to use 2 1/2 or 2 1/4. What do people recommend on a l18 with headwork, webbers etc

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 pm 

Who built the extractors for you? I can't really see in the photos how tight it is getting past the idler arm, firewall and gearbox housing using the 4 into 1 system? They look good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:57 pm 

finally got back onto working on car after a wedding and buying a house.
A mate of mine gave me a tilton bias valve that he ripped out of his race car and no longer required it so got around to fitting it for the rear brakes, what a score.

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:01 pm 

jrogersmotorsport wrote:
Who built the extractors for you? I can't really see in the photos how tight it is getting past the idler arm, firewall and gearbox housing using the 4 into 1 system? They look good.
I think the extractors are just Coby ones, they were such a crap match to the head and i spent a while match porting them to the head, they are a good fit though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm 

So the old girl is getting a bit of a birthday at the moment, picked it up Friday night after getting a full 2 1/2 exhaust system through, the boys at pitstop done an awesome job, I then dropped the car at the auto sparkies to get tidied up and made reliable (I hate wiring when it starts getting too involved). All going to plan she will be on the dyno next week to tune the webers as I'm trying to get to a track day to run the new engine in on 8th September.

Pics to follow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:52 pm 

Took the datto for its first track day on sat and was really happy with how it was going until she threw the waterpump/alt belt and it overheated and bent all the exhaust valves. I had the week from hell getting it going but I wont go into it as if there was anything that could have gone wrong it id. I picked i up from the dyno on friday and headed to taupo on sat morning for a BMW track day. I was the only datto there and was really proud to be picking the odd bmw off here and there over the track. I was unsure if my spedo was correct as i shot past my brother down the main straight at 120MPH but turns out my brother was doing 190kph so it must have been accurate haha.

anyway had fun just gutted it sh*t itself and i think going by the pics im in need for some decent sway bars front and back.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

As you can all see I am definatly after some new sway bars for front and rear and also a heavier rate spring. I am doing stock order for work so will be ordering the sway bars etc very soon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:34 pm 

Great car mate, i've enjoyed reading this thread :thumbsup:

What spring rates are you running at the moment? What are your alignment specs? (ie. camber, caster, toe).. A front anti-roll bar is a good idea, however getting your spring rates sorted first would be the better option. And not sure about other peoples experience, but once these are sorted you may not require a rear anti-roll bar. Personal preference though I guess!

Keep the updates coming, it's always good to see a Datto on the track!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:55 pm 

Hey mate,

fantastic build, what wheels/offset are you running?

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:40 pm 

Fitted the front and rear swaybar tonight and it took about an 1.5 hours. If it was on a hoist it would be 1/2 hour. it is not a bad kit my only fault is that when the car is low the lowest part of the swaybar is only about 80-85mm f the ground but i could alter that to make it 100mm i think. cant wait to see the handling improvement.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:46 pm 

I love parts day, There was nothing wrong with what was in there but I wanted the autometer mechanical gauges as they are a little more accurate than the electric gauge/sender unit and less to fault out on them.

Also got a new Heavy duty clutch today and a new clutch master slave and braided line. I rung the guy building the engine and got an update on the motor build and I should have it back and ready to drop back in the car in about 2-3 weeks, im champing at the bit to hear it run again.

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:48 pm 

The last two nights is the most work ive done on the 1600 in months, Ive been finding it hard to get motivated when ive been waiting 8 months for a motor which is wearing very thin but ive actually enjoyed working on it. I started fitting up the gauges and braided fuel pressure and oil pressure line

[ img ]

[ img ]

I have wrapped the inlet manifold tubes with a heat deflector material as im trying to keep the air as cool as I can so I am going to try this. I know it doesn't look the flashiest but im chasing power more than looks.

[ img ]

Im going to run the K&N filters for now but am going to eventually make a cold air box for the webbers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50 pm 

Really struggling to find a wheel I like so im having to settle for something im not 100% happy with but will do the job for now. I can get them as a satin black as in the pic or gold center. I was thinking maybe the gold and blue may look ok or if its crap I could always spray them in plastidip black or what ever colour I like.

What do you guys think and what colour?

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:53 pm 

LOOK WHAT I GOT BACK TONIGHT.

spent two hours on it fitting carbs and headers properly. got a few more things to do on it then throw it in the hole hopefully tomorrow night but im in no hurry as im enjoying working on it as its been a while.

[ img ]

[ img ]

fitted a new heavy duty clutch and pressure plate and also threw the old air filter elements out and fitted new k&n's until I fit a ITG/pipercross foam filter or cold air box.

I couldn't stand looking at it on the engine stand so threw it in the hole

[ img ]

[ img ]

Going to fit gearbox and radiator tomorrow