Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:48 am 

I was really looking forward to getting taken to hospital with a G clamp in my eye.

Short motor is together - bad ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:07 pm 

Started putting a couple of accessories on the motor - crank angle sensor and these kinds of things. Also pulled the cover on my R200 (christ those things are heavy), and it is a 3.54:1. To be honest I will be pretty happy to get a bit away from the 4.11:1, it was just too revy at freeway speeds, and the DET should have the power to push me along happily with the 3.54.

Anyone got any recommendations on where to go for the cover gasket for the R200?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:22 pm 
Old Digger

I've never used a gasket on any R series diff. Salasitc has always worked well for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:44 pm 

I have a few tubes of the instant gasket stuff - I might give that a shot. I am glad I pulled the cover, the internals all looked to be in good nick, but it seemed like not a heap of oil came out. I couldn't pick any obvious scuffing, wear etc etc. When it goes in I will be making sure it gets a good fill with a quality oil. Any oil recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:48 pm 
Old Digger

Redline or any good branded synthetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:53 am 

Looking good there Bob. I'm a fellow S12 owner (also on the S12 forums) and it seems you've scored a bargain with this car. Those collets are a bastard to get in and out of the CA18 head.

How's the gearbox holding up? I recently changed mine to an FJ20ET box with the CA front housing. Swaps over with no probs at all and is a cheap way of getting a slightly stronger box, if you can find one. The ratios are different though, shorter 2nd & 3rd.

For oil I prefer Penrite HPR10. I'm currently using HPR5 but it's slightly too thin (burns a tiny amount). Come the warmer months I'll go back to 10.

Good luck with finishing her off. Viva la Gaz.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:08 am 

Hey Candellan - I have seen your projects, on various S12 forums, top work on the CA20DET.

The car is not running with the CA18DET yet, still using the 20E. If I get 6 months out of the CA20E box I will be pretty happy, that gives me some time to save up some money for a decent clutch and box combo and keep an eye out for parts along the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:41 am 

Thanks mate. The big block CA is labour of love, and certain amount of pain.

My CA20E box is still in 1 piece, just the synchros are dead on the first 3 gears. Providing you treat them gently it should be ok for a while.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:57 pm 

Hey Candellan,

didnt know you were on here.
see you at the next sprints ?

Bob that thing of his goes alright :wink:

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:24 pm 

Hi Datto. I'm a recent visitor. Looking around for FJ info for my 2nd Gaz and I know you Datto boys love em (smart blokes).

I'll be there mate, with real tyres this time, not Fred Flindstones. It'll be good to go aganst you given you're got turbo power as well now.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

Post subject: Re: Bobs S12
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:54 pm 

Motor is complete and waiting to go in. Should be bolting the clutch and flywheel on early this week, and motor in by the end of the week. The only thing that can hold me up is the oil feed, the old bit of line looked like it was not too far from failing, and none of the normal parts stores stock oil and heat resistant hose in 16mm ID. Will ring around Pirtek and such this week to find some.

Also spent some time mucking about with wiring, intercooler piping etc etc. All coming together well.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:50 am 

Yep, it's all coming together nicely. Since this pic was taken, all accessories are back on, and the PS pump modified to go into a non-hicas car. Wiring loom is coming together, so it's pretty much at the point of dropping the motor into the car and dummying up the intercooler plumbing*

*I made that sound heaps easy.

Attachments:
File comment: 80's twin cam awesomeness
[ attachment ]
ca18det_longmotor.JPG [ 49.75 KiB | Viewed 1733 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:51 pm 

That small block CA is looking good mate. Lets see it in the car now :thumbsup:

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:37 pm 

updates?????

very interested in this project... if i wasnt 189cm tall i would be driving one myself!
have to make do with a R30 hatch... (kinda a giant S12)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:24 pm 

I just revisited this thread - I didn't realise just how long it was since I updated! Here is what has happened since last post:

So getting the motor together again was the easy part. Getting the bastard in the bay was the hard part. Jason (JP510) grabbed my flywheel and clutch and cleaned everything up nicely for me (thanks mate), and then Andrew and I jammed the flywheel and clutch on and went to stick the motor in the bay. Getting the turbo drain past the engine mount was a bit of a bugger, but once we figured out the sequence of lowering and jiggling **nothing** would get the spline to go into the clutch.

Then Jason came over to give us a hand. He noted that there was no bearing in the back of the crank, so we put one in from the CA20. I would guess we then had the motor in and out about 7 times trying to get the bloody motor to bolt to the box. After 2 or 3 times we took the clutch off and tried to fit it onto the gearbox spline - at first we couldn't even get the clutch plate to go on the spline. Turns out the clutch that I got with the CA18 was an ultra close fit on the gearbox spline. At the end of that day we closed the shed door with the idea that the motor and box would have to be bolted together on the ground to make sure that teh internets wasn't lying about the CA20 box going on the CA18.

About a week ago I was bored so I wandered out to the shed. I got it in my head that I was going to rip the box out and bolt everything up. That story is not worth telling, but the lesson is that if you are going to pull a box out on your own ensure that you have the car up high enough so that you can wriggle out with the box on your chest, otherwise all you have done is to pin yourself on the ground under a gearbox with not enough height to move. At the end of that story I had the box bolting to the motor with the flywheel and pressure plate in place but not the clutch.

A few days later Andrew and I got onto trying to get the box to bolt to the motor, and after much drama we got the box and engine with clutch bolted together. I know it sounds stupid but I can honestly not express what a prick of a job getting the motor and box together was, but at the end of the day the engine was sitting in the car.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
thewaitingrecipient.JPG [ 33.55 KiB | Viewed 1729 times ]
[ attachment ]
motorin.JPG [ 41.23 KiB | Viewed 1729 times ]