Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:54 pm 

Daniel,

I'm currently researching a big brake upgrade for both my zed and 16. (Zed first).

And while I haven't done anything yet (so take what I say with a grain of salt), there is so much so it that you really have to pick atleast one starting point, which for me is the wheels and rubber I want to be able to run. No point having massive brakes if you are limited in rubber.

From here on in its a matter of trying things and seeing if they fit. However once you have your rims in place you can then start to go to work. The way I had planned on doing it was to buy my rotors (just the rotor, not the hat) and calipers, then get custom hats turned up to hold them in the right place, and caliper brackets made to hold them in the right place. Sorted. That is a potentially unnecessarily expensive route so I'm currently investigating others including:

Using R33 GTR DBA 5000 rotor setup and simply making a caliper bracket and living with 4x114.3 and wierd offset rims.

Converting to 5-stud (maybe using Z31 bits?) as opposed to custom hubs.

I need to price up some custom hubs. If they're mega-$ I'll look at other things more closely, otherwise they'll be the easier way and I'll know its right.

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:48 pm 

Dave,

How you going with this upgrade?

I don't quite understand why you aren't exhausting cheap alternatives first, such as searching the DBA catalogue for correct hat size with the correct thickness etc. and then getting those to fit. If that doesn't work, it will put you in a better stance to make up custom stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:43 am 

Nik,

I've been preoccupied with getting my car running lately so haven't done much more work on the brakes.

My problem is that I am loathe to repeat doing things. I'm much more a, spend-years-on-it-but-do-it-all-at-once type. My turbo conversion is case-in-point. It doesn't feel as expensive if you spread the money out over longer.. hehe. At this stage this is plan A:

Front:
Rotors: 350mm two piece wilwood using custom hats
Calipers: Wilwood Superlite 4 calipers

Rear:
Rotors: Unsure
Calipers: Wilwood 2 spots of some description

All round:
Custom 5x114.3 hubs
Custom caliper brackets
18x9 R34 GTR rims
Flares

Using R33 GTR DBA rotor, that is a cheaper alternative to the huge wilwood discs. The R33 GTR discs are close enough to fit on the front of a 240Z I believe (1.75mm different in height), which is why I mentioned them.

Still all up in the air as yet, will have to wait and see. And get some money too!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:46 pm 

baz, do y have a photo of the front of those R32 rear brakes? how is the handbrake handled if at all?

is the 1600 and 240K arms much different in a brake mounting point of view? will 1600 brackets fit 240K arms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:12 am 
Guru

yes i do have a few pics, just cant find them at the moment.
can sell the brackets but they have to be hand finished , before & after welding. Not a job for the faint harted. Would take more time to do fitting instructions than its worth. :cry:

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:11 pm 

thehelix112 wrote:

I need to price up some custom hubs. If they're mega-$ I'll look at other things more closely, otherwise they'll be the easier way and I'll know its right.

Dave
this might interest you dude!

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catal ... 0c94e6f32e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:04 pm 

Thanks mate, I've seen them. :) Not thinking of converting to 5-stud now, not when I'm going to need custom wheels anyway.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:33 pm 
Mr_Negative wrote:
thehelix112 wrote:

Dave
this might interest you dude!

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catal ... 0c94e6f32e
I've had my design engineer mate model up the standard 1600 stub axles with 5 studs and it can be done but it's close. If I can find the pic I'll throw it up.

I'm about to start my new 510 project and I've got a set of front & rear z31 5 stud hubs. We'll see how it goes but one or another my new toy will have 5 studs all round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:55 pm 

The ZX Project will have ~330mm OD front rotors eventually, there are several DBA 5000 series rotors available around that size, its becoming a fairly common size for performance cars. For example, the Wilwood kit for a S14 uses similar sized rotors, see http://catalogs.wilwood.com/_pdf/_kits/brakekits.pdf

Not sure about the rears though, having to have a handbrake is a pain :)

As Dave has indicated, big brakes have a roll on effect. For 330mm brakes you may need 17" wheels, which means in practical terms five stud hubs. As I've suggested before, what about five stud trailer hubs, available from Supercheap for example? I believe that these hubs will fit Datsun fronts, be bloody nice if someone who has tried this gave some accurate feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:15 am 

5 stud trailor hubs are a real option with the correct bearings and floating rotor...

i've got some 5x114.3 cast iron hubs and i can't see too many reasons why they would not fit....