Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: R200 Diff question
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:53 pm 

G'day All

I am looking for a R200 LSD Longnose 3.9 Diff (if any one has one) and any fitting advice for fitting a SR20DET with a 6 speed gearbox (Silvia S15) into a 74 180b SSS. I have very limited knowledge in attempting this conversion and really appreciate any help. Cheers Lads.

Stu

Post subject: Re: R200 Diff question
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:54 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Look for those diffs in Dr30 Skylines.

Check Datsports website as they should be able to assist with the engine fitting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:05 pm 

I have a 180B sedan with S13 motor and box. I bought a long R200 from a 280ZX, and short one from an S15. Swapped the S15 centre onto the 280ZX crownwheel, then installed. My first shell was an auto sedan and the stock tailshaft (from a manual) was the right length and bolted straight up. When I moved to another shell, it was a manual and the tailshaft had to be shortened.

For shafts, grab a set from an S13/S14/S15 or R32/R33 , just make sure the bolt patterns are 3 clusters of 2, ie 6 bolts. Grab stub axle (wheel end) flanges from an R30 and bolt them on. Pull the shafts apart and take the CVs off. Measure up how long they need to be (from memory mine were 225mm for one and 235mm for the other), take them down to your local machining shop and get them cut down and reslpined. Reassemble, check, check and check again.

That's what worked for me!

The Datto...
'74 610 180B
SR20DET on 18psi and E85. 220kW.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:37 pm 

AR610 wrote:
I have a 180B sedan with S13 motor and box. I bought a long R200 from a 280ZX, and short one from an S15. Swapped the S15 centre onto the 280ZX crownwheel, then installed. My first shell was an auto sedan and the stock tailshaft (from a manual) was the right length and bolted straight up. When I moved to another shell, it was a manual and the tailshaft had to be shortened.

For shafts, grab a set from an S13/S14/S15 or R32/R33 , just make sure the bolt patterns are 3 clusters of 2, ie 6 bolts. Grab stub axle (wheel end) flanges from an R30 and bolt them on. Pull the shafts apart and take the CVs off. Measure up how long they need to be (from memory mine were 225mm for one and 235mm for the other), take them down to your local machining shop and get them cut down and reslpined. Reassemble, check, check and check again.

That's what worked for me!

AR610 - Cheers and thanks for the inside knowledge. Sometimes its difficult to know where to start. Most helpful!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:35 pm 

Can you run the Datsport/Maddat/SWR etc. moustache bar from a 1600 to fit the R200 in a 180B AR610?

Blackhart, you'll need a different tailshaft, plus clearance for the shifter in the 6 speed on the trans tunnel. They sit a little higher (they have a higher section where the shifter sits) than the S14 boxes. Nothing a bit of sheet metal massage/cutting and fabbing wont fix. Perhaps speak to the guys at Datsport about their trans tunnel cover fitting a 180B. Might save you a bit of time.

Going disk brakes on the rear?

Suggest you speak to an automotive engineer also regarding this conversion. They can tell you what they require and sign off on the conversion so it's 100% street legal (if that's what you are going to be using the car for)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:11 am 

SR20Datsun wrote:
Can you run the Datsport/Maddat/SWR etc. moustache bar from a 1600 to fit the R200 in a 180B AR610?

Blackhart, you'll need a different tailshaft, plus clearance for the shifter in the 6 speed on the trans tunnel. They sit a little higher (they have a higher section where the shifter sits) than the S14 boxes. Nothing a bit of sheet metal massage/cutting and fabbing wont fix. Perhaps speak to the guys at Datsport about their trans tunnel cover fitting a 180B. Might save you a bit of time.

Going disk brakes on the rear?

Suggest you speak to an automotive engineer also regarding this conversion. They can tell you what they require and sign off on the conversion so it's 100% street legal (if that's what you are going to be using the car for)
Cheers bud. Not sure about the moustache bar, will try and find out. Ordered the conversion kit from Baz at datsport so I will ask him about the trans tunnel cover fitting. Will go rear brakes for sure, have a few friends in Sydney that can help with the sign off business. At the moment I am just collecting parts. Reckon it will take another 6 months of saving before I start surgery. I bought a 180b SSS that was previously done up in Adelaide (poorly) and now I am slowly trying to make her into something special. Here's a link for the car which was previously posted on here. Don't be fooled, she looks the part but a lot of things were done which I believe needed to be done better. Then she was sold to someone in South Sydney which really let her down. I am hoping by the time I am finished with her (if my wallet dosen't explode) she will be show room worthy. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming.

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=16650

Stu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:23 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Pretty sure 180b diff support bar is the same as 1600...