Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:36 pm 

so rebuild my brakes
what is all good but putting in the new brake cyclinder on my 1600 and it has these 3 shim clip thing that like go < > < over each other
and i just cant get the last 1 on

am i doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:44 pm 

Hope yours are fitted and working by now.

I have just done the same job today on my son's Datsun 1600 daily driver! I had forgotten What a bugger of a job to slip the retainer clips together is nowadays! Took me two hours to figure out the issues. I was already peed off that the cylinders were leaking, as I replaced them about 40,000 miles (4 years) ago (with similar non genuine crap).
"In the olden days" (genuine aussi mfg. PBR slave cyls.) things slipped together reasonably easily and lasted for 10 years.

After many frustrating attempts, I decided to have a good look at the channels that the retainers slip in. I found they were poorly manufactured, channels rounded, undersized, and had a few casting dags protruding on the backing plate side. I filed the slots clean, to the correct sizes (length and depth), then I was able to assemble them without too much drama. Quality of aftermarket parts can be really poor.

The next issue was holding the brake shoe retaining pins that protrude through the backing plate, while trying to clip them through the slotted retaining washer.

After finishing the job and bleeding the system, I swore that my next rear brake job on this car will be to bolt in the R31 disc conversion sitting in my parts rack, complete with brake pipes plumbed, waiting for the order of the appropriate master cylinder - so much easier to work on!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:40 am 

yeah its all done now and bleed and working
but it was so sh*t getting them clips on, had 1 rage when i just walked away haha
but got there eventually