Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:27 pm 

hi all im new on here so firstly, hi
i just bought a 79 stanza and am having trouble with the brakes
the pedal is really hard to push down and the braeks are qiute innefective youu really hAVE to smash the pedal to get it to pull up....slowly
feels like its a booster problem like there is no vac assist or something, iv checked the vac line to the booster and it looks ok, car has been sitting for years previously nut the disks arent rusty or anything so im thinking booster?
any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:41 pm 

there should be a one-way-valve somewhere in the line between the manifold and the booster, make sure it is the right way round so the flow is towards the manifold.
flush and bleed the brakes

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1966 Nissan Cedric Custom Six
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
1974 Toyota Landcruiser Stallion (SWB)
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:03 pm 

travm182 wrote:
there should be a one-way-valve somewhere in the line between the manifold and the booster, make sure it is the right way round so the flow is towards the manifold.
flush and bleed the brakes
no valve that i can see...
could the large valve overlap of the cam be the cause of low mainfold vaccumm?
surely there would be alot of ppl in the same boat then, i dont reckon many modded dattos use OEM cams,
anyone use a vac accumilator?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:14 am 
Old Digger

You need to have a 1 way valve in the booster vac line so the booster can hold vac pressure. Don't worry about what cam you have. It won't make a big difference. Basically every booster assisted brake system has a one way valve. Go down to the local wreckers grab one that fits the hose id you are using and install the sucker. There will be an arrow install the valve pointing to the manifold. If you do have a valve already installed it may be faulty or the booster diaphragm maybe stuffed and a rebuild will be needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:27 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

your brake calipers and wheel cylinders may need to be recond/replaced. They sieze up over time...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:53 pm 

If you start the car with your foot on the pedal (after leaving the car to sit overnight) does the pedal go down any further once the engine starts? (you might need to pump the pedal a few times to bleed out any vacuum from the booster before trying this) If there is no difference with the pedal feel with the engine running or stopped, then it certainly sounds like your booster.

Even with a reasonable cam in the engine you should still get assistance from your booster. Regardless of cam you will pull a vacuum with the throttle shut, especially at higher revs.

I wouldn't think this is a cylinder / caliper problem. If they were that rusted up, then the brakes would tend to stay applied once you did manage to apply them.

The booster might need a rebuild (assuming all other components - push rods etc - are correctly installed and adjusted)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:46 pm 

Warps wrote:
If you start the car with your foot on the pedal (after leaving the car to sit overnight) does the pedal go down any further once the engine starts? (you might need to pump the pedal a few times to bleed out any vacuum from the booster before trying this) If there is no difference with the pedal feel with the engine running or stopped, then it certainly sounds like your booster.

Even with a reasonable cam in the engine you should still get assistance from your booster. Regardless of cam you will pull a vacuum with the throttle shut, especially at higher revs.

I wouldn't think this is a cylinder / caliper problem. If they were that rusted up, then the brakes would tend to stay applied once you did manage to apply them.

The booster might need a rebuild (assuming all other components - push rods etc - are correctly installed and adjusted)
hey warps, thsanks for the heads up mate, i just tried the foot on pedal thing then started it, no difference at all, so ill put another booster on and see how it goes. thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:31 pm 

I'd start with the basics first. If the car has been sitting for a few years, I'd change the fluid before I did anything else, as this will need doing anyway. Also check to see if the pads/lining has been contaminated.