Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:34 pm 

here's a couple, Stu. In hindsight we should have rolled the car back, and out of that shadow. Hope these give you a rough idea...

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:23 pm 

that looks fuckin good!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:45 pm 
Old Digger

Yep they look cool but, I personally like the full polished rims on this Y

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:59 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Thanks for doing that mate pretty keen on the gun metal center's now :D

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... post494892

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:30 am 

very tuff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:37 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Well after driving the datto to work the last few days ive decided she's in dire need of a suspension overhall before I purchase wheels or a new turbo :lol: I know my rear shocks are in need of a rebuild or replacement ( there staring to knock there heads off) as well as new unis,balljoints,tierods ect but im also wanting to convert my front struts to coilovers. What sort of kits have people used on here before or recomend? I know t3 is pretty popular but I dont know much about them :lol: So if anyone has any sugestions on what I should be looking at please let me know :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:56 pm 

Those grey centres look sweet! Do it!

As for coilovers, I ended up with the weld on style ones like maddat sells. Very little between these and the T3 ones really, just depends what ones are cheapest at the time probably.. Definantly shorten your struts and fit some shorter shock inserts at the same time, as this is where most of the benefit is made. A friend of mine is selling a pair of Koni Reds from a 260z (nice and short i believe), he is selling them cheap and they're in good nick too, so let me know if you're keen..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:03 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Mark wrote:
Those grey centres look sweet! Do it!

As for coilovers, I ended up with the weld on style ones like maddat sells. Very little between these and the T3 ones really, just depends what ones are cheapest at the time probably.. Definantly shorten your struts and fit some shorter shock inserts at the same time, as this is where most of the benefit is made. A friend of mine is selling a pair of Koni Reds from a 260z (nice and short I believe), he is selling them cheap and they're in good nick too, so let me know if you're keen..
Yeah il have a look into it mate still not sure which ones to go with yet. Ive got koni reds in the front at the moment I know there pretty short because I have spacer tube's to stop them from sitting on the bottom of the strut so I mite be able to reuse them when the time comes :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:01 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Well im still none this wiser on what coilover setup to go for its all too confusing :lol: . Im thinking for now il get the clunks and groan's sorted out in the front and rear ends as well as geting my current koni red's checked out. Once thats done i think im best doing a few more track days so i can work out what im really unhappy with in the way my car handles. Then i can work out what spring rate/shock combo to use they will best suit my car/driving style insted of just putting coilovers in cause ive convinced myself i need them without justifying the reason why :lol: .

Last edited by trb012 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:21 pm 
Old Digger

Good plan Stu. No point spending money then having to work out what your setup still needs. The only reason for coilovers apart from easy lowering is to setup the corner weight otherwise play with your spring rates and when happy get the shocks valved to suit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:24 pm 

Just to play devil's advocate, and if you're pulling out your shocks anyway...

shortened coilover struts with a choosable springrate is a fantastic handling addition, coupled with some of our nations capital (negative canberra) will help lots of the track and then is backoffable for the street if you desire. If you are worried about choices of things, maybe see if your koni reds would be a nice height and if so just start with them. Shorted your struts and choose a springrate and then you'll be able to if you feel the need change the setup by buying new springs which are relatively cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:34 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

LAG_510 wrote:
Just to play devil's advocate, and if you're pulling out your shocks anyway...

shortened coilover struts with a choosable springrate is a fantastic handling addition, coupled with some of our nations capital (negative canberra) will help lots of the track and then is backoffable for the street if you desire. If you are worried about choices of things, maybe see if your koni reds would be a nice height and if so just start with them. Shorted your struts and choose a springrate and then you'll be able to if you feel the need change the setup by buying new springs which are relatively cheap.
Yeah I know mate i will go coilover's sooner or later its just hard to justify at the moment when I dont think im any where near capable of driving the car to the limit with its current suspension :lol: Thats why im thinking maybe I should drive it abit first and then see what need to do to get it to handle better? Once I pull the struts apart and the koni's out il measure them up and see what you think? The best combo at the moment seems to be my struts with otomoto/datsport/maddat coilover sleeve's,datsport camber tops,275 pound springs and my koni's revalved to suit or new yellows does this seem like a good combo? :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:06 am 

I get what you're saying, but when it comes to suspension i reckon you don't want to test yourself with driving - power on the other hand i can understand. you'll find better suspension/brakes/handling will inspire confidence so you can get more out of your car.

don't get too confused at all the different brands of bits they are all much of a muchness go for the best value for money. don't let the hype sway you into spending more!

Any camber top from an s13 should work (the y's have the same bolt pattern yeah?) there are a few different styles of upper bearing
Any weld on or slip on sleeve is fine
i'd start with your red's for sure. still a great shock just not as easily adjustable

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:15 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Yeah you've talked me into mate i will do them and guess I will use my red's as I probly dont need a externally adjustable shock at this stage when I dont drive it all that offen so can live with a track setup on the street :lol:. Probly wont happen for a few months though as you probly now well know geting married plus convincing your fiance that you need to spend coin on your datto on things she doesn't understand is not an easy task :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:42 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Time for a small update :) Well in the 10 or so years the car has been running a z18 not one suspension componet or mount has been replaced so I thought it was time to give her a birthday :lol: .So im replacing

*Ball joints lh side is stuffed
*Tie rod ends inner and outer
*Idler arm bushes
*Inner control arm bushes
*Swaybar link and mount bushes
*Uni's front one is on its way out
*Gearbox and engine mounts also stuffed
*Fit brake bias valve and new brake master

Also looking to pull the turbo off and finally getting around to fitting my exhaust manifold as well as a new 3inch system sump has also seen better days so on the lookout for another one if I cant repair mine. Shold keep me busy for the next month or so. Hopefully it will drive like a brad new car after this :lol: will post pics of progress :D