Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:47 pm 

datman55 wrote:
Pro....you are a legend!

I wonder if this has anything to do with the problem I had with bleeding the rear brakes....perhaps the calipers are not completely releasing before I turn in......thanks champ - something else to check!
no worries at all dude - glad i could be of some help!!!! 8)

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:38 pm 

Mark,

Mmmmmm. Fun! Sounds like you've got some entertaining times ahead.

I reckon you're dead right about the rear bar giving you extra options to balance the car. If it rains before a session, you can drop it quick to make the car more predictable. :wink:

Well... my only thoughts would be that *IF* the car is the car is balanced in a long turn (when it's had time to settle), I probably wouldn't look at the bars and springs. It sounds like your problems are when the car isn't settled (transients), and that's where shocks really come into play.

Still, might not be suspension at all. Pro might well be on to something regarding the brakes.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I got told an interesting story once by a talented race engineer (8 national championships, IIRC). He said that one weekend the driver was complaining of exit oversteer. So they played with the suspension to correct it. In the next session it was worse. They played some more. Worse again. And on it went...

In the end, the driver just happened to mention that the car was now suffering from entry understeer too. It was there before, but now it was really bad.

It all clicked then. The car was understeering. The driver would chuck the car into the turn to get around it - but then the car was unsettled. When he hit the gas, it would oversteer. All of the changes they had been doing only made the root cause worse. The changed the suspension in the complete opposite direction to reduce understeer - and the oversteer went away!

This changed his mindset on setup after that. He always asked the driver what the car did on turn-in first. Everything that happens after that is just a response to turn-in. Get the turn-in right, and the rest should follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:38 pm 

datman55 wrote:
...perhaps the calipers are not completely releasing before I turn in......
Doh!

Now that has merit.

Now that you've said that, I think I may have had a similar issue. My car turns in very aggressively which makes it do THIS :lol:

It always dragged the rear brakes slightly buy I never gave it a thought as to it being an issue. I've recently fitted new rear pads but haven't tested them on the track as yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:20 pm 

[ img ]

how did that 1 happen?

btw i really like the class and wish to build a car to race in it.

all i need now is money,time,space,............ :roll: [/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:51 pm 

Hey dude......I actually have no idea how that happened.

The funniest part was that one of my crew said to me after the race "did your boot come open" and I told him to stop smoking crack! Then I saw this pic that another one of my crew took......I couldn't believe my eyes!

I have no idea how it happened......looking at ways to prevent it happening in the future....so the power hungry flaggies don't get me black flagged. I just don't want put any external fixings on the car.

When the Flag drops........... the Bullshit stops
Go hard or go home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Deane wrote:
Now that you've said that, I think I may have had a similar issue. My car turns in very aggressively which makes it do THIS :lol:
Bwahahaha, awesome Deane! The D1 Drift boys would be impressed... :lol:

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

Post subject: roll oversteer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:44 pm 

mark,from what you're saying about roll oversteer & lifting inside front wheels,you might want to try a heavier front bar first.a friend had this happen with his beetle,it would oversteer so badly it was almost undriveable.it wasn't til my friend finally drove the car for himself (his wife was racing it while he ran his openwheeler) that he found the problem.the front end was collapsing over the outside front wheel & the rear end was following along.he put a larger front sway bar on it,problem solved to such an extent that he didn't have to buy the lsd that everyone else in the class had,& his wife stopped threatening to divorce him.if your only running a stock front bar,white knuckle make one to suit,& if you're
already running a larger than stock bar,try piggybacking a stock one onto it.