Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:51 pm 
Old Digger

Thanks Fella's

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:09 pm 

Welcome to the land of legal :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:11 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Tip top mate glad to hear it all went hassel free nothing like driving a legal turbo datto :lol:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... post494892

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:16 pm 

that is awesome mate, you've inspired me to get mine engineered!

what do you mean legal for 30 days?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:46 pm 
Old Digger

Engineers certificates are only valid for 30 days like a roadworthy. A cop could still sting you if he wanted to. 99% of the time you'd be fine if you weren't doing something stupid. Then there is always the power tripping cop out there to give every modified owner ("hoon") a hard time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:53 pm 

MYDATO wrote:
Engineers certificates are only valid for 30 days like a roadworthy. A cop could still sting you if he wanted to. 99% of the time you'd be fine if you weren't doing something stupid. Then there is always the power tripping cop out there to give every modified owner ("hoon") a hard time.
So that basically means you have upto 30 days to goto Vicroads and get the car 'registered' with the 'approved modifications'. By then carrying the certificate with you, you are showing the car is approved to run those modifications. The updated registration sticker/details are then proof that Vicroads have seen the certificate, and the car is legal.

If you get pulled over during this 30 days and you haven't been to Vicroads, the car should be OK, but as Brad said, it can be hard because the cops can be poo poo heads. After this, you should be fine, and if the police defect you for something that is OK and you haven't made any modifications since the engineers certificate, you can pretty much take them to court, and ask for damages/your time etc. Usually the judge realises the cop was on a power trip and you were just doing the right thing and you win.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:09 pm 
Old Digger

SR20Datsun wrote:
MYDATO wrote:
So that basically means you have upto 30 days to goto Vicroads and get the car 'registered' with the 'approved modifications'. By then carrying the certificate with you, you are showing the car is approved to run those modifications. The updated registration sticker/details are then proof that Vicroads have seen the certificate, and the car is legal.

If you get pulled over during this 30 days and you haven't been to Vicroads, the car should be OK, but as Brad said, it can be hard because the cops can be poo poo heads. After this, you should be fine, and if the police defect you for something that is OK and you haven't made any modifications since the engineers certificate, you can pretty much take them to court, and ask for damages/your time etc. Usually the judge realises the cop was on a power trip and you were just doing the right thing and you win.
Yep. The only thing we really need to worry about is if they sting us for a full E------P------A ADR test. This means no ecu mods, aftermarket turbos, AFM's, injectors or boost controllers. The engine must be stock to meet E-----P----A requirements. This is what I was told by the E-------P------A when I rang them for advise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:28 pm 

Oath.
I'm running a FMIC, and pod filter with my factory boost, and I would pass E-----P-----A requirements for emissions.
My CAT is closer than the factory aswell.
Bigger turbo and all that stuff is only a problem if they know what to look for. 2871R looks like a factory turbo, so i'm going to be laughing..
Have the E-------P------A actually tested a Jap spec vehicle for emissions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:56 pm 

why--------are-------you-------talking-------like------this?

you cant have fmic & pod, one or the other, unless the fmic is factory standard.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:07 pm 

Or unless the Engineer knows of a loop hole and allows it (and makes it part of the documention). 8)
I had the choice of a FMIC, or a pod filter. Naturally I chose the FMIC, and when I said I couldn't get the factory airbox to fit, he said "get your emissions tested", to which I did and I passed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:15 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Also once you car is regod with the aproved mod's on the certificate there is no need for you to carry it around in the car.I once got pulled over and was franticly trying to get the engineers report from the back seat and once the cop came to my window he checked my license gave me a bretho and to my shock told me nice car and good for keeping it legal! Aparantly as soon as they pull you over and punch your rego in it come's up on there data base if your car is engineered or not :D

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... post494892

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:28 pm 

Yeah? Does it come up with the list of mods, or just that it's legally modified?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:36 pm 

SR20Datsun wrote:
Oath.
I'm running a FMIC, and pod filter with my factory boost, and I would pass E-----P-----A requirements for emissions.
My CAT is closer than the factory aswell.
Bigger turbo and all that stuff is only a problem if they know what to look for. 2871R looks like a factory turbo, so I'm going to be laughing..
Have the E-------P------A actually tested a Jap spec vehicle for emissions?

EPA know what to look for, even after market turbos that mount to standard manifolds, aftermarket injectors etc.

basically, if you get done for full epa and have to go in for emissions test, you might as well replace aftermarket items with stock ones cos they are gonna pick them.

in regards to Jap spec vehicles being tested before, just look around SAU for threads on this, you will find many.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:52 pm 
Old Digger

Anth510 wrote:

you cant have fmic & pod, one or the other, unless the fmic is factory standard.
Because when they type their name into the search function up it will all come. Yes they and the cops search and watch many forums.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:41 pm 

MYDATO wrote:
Anth510 wrote:

Because when they type their name into the search function up it will all come. Yes they and the cops search and watch many forums.
I had actually PM'ed him about it.

it happened once on OzHonda back when I had the Teg, not pretty for the guy who copped it......