Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: seatbelts for 1600
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:46 pm 

I have a 71 datsun 1600 i bought it without seatbelts in it. my compliance plate says 5 seats however there is only enough fittings for two seatbelts in the back. Did they come out with a middle seatbelt in the rear? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:19 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

do you want to put rear belts in or do you think you have to put rear belts in because (i am not exactly) sure but i think all 1600 came out with front belts only from the factory.

you will not need rear belts if you dont want them!

Post subject: Re: seatbelts for 1600
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:24 pm 

tony1600 wrote:
I have a 71 datsun 1600 i bought it without seatbelts in it. my compliance plate says 5 seats however there is only enough fittings for two seatbelts in the back. Did they come out with a middle seatbelt in the rear? thanks
From i remember about ADR's is that any car made before 76 i think had rear seat belts as an option not a standard fitment.

Post subject: 1600 seatbelts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:23 pm 

i just wanna know if i will need 3 rear setbelts to pass rego

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:46 pm 

In nsw, you dont need rear seat belts for a 68 model 1600, or early model 69 either. Cant remember the exact month but according the RTA books they came in late 69.

I only know this cause I put my mothers completely stock 68 model 1600 deluxe through a blue slip and it has never had rear seat belts fitted.

The inspector said if it was built after the particular month in 69 it would require them.

I thought the middle belt just used the mounting points for where the side belts clip in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:15 pm 

So you can legally carry passengers without a seatbelt in a '68? Or do you have to not carry passengers unless a seatbelt is fitted? If its the former, thats ridiculous IMO. Nothing would surprise me, tho. :? I have a 71 and its had 5 s/bs ever since I had it.... thought they all did....

Cheers, Neil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:13 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Yep, no seatbelts required for early models that didn't originally have them, and weren't legally required to have them at the time they were built.

A mate has an FX Holden which is legally registered with no seatbelts anywhere. Personally I feel a bit vulnerable in it - no seatbelts, brakes aren't the best, then when it rains the windscreen wipers get slower the faster you go.

I don't know about it being ridiculous, although I would fit belts myself even though not required. Basically to require the fitment of belts where they weren't originally required would mean forcing older cars to comply with more current regulations. Just imagine that taken to the extreme - you would probably force all cars older than a few years off the roads.

Things like noise levels, emissions, high-level brake lights spring to mind. A standard 1600 wouldn't go close to meeting current ADR's.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:42 pm 

My parents used to have a 1956 VW, it didnt even come out with front seat belts! (probably cause it wasnt fast enough!)

It just had these looped handles on the pillars :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:42 pm 

Quote:
don't know about it being ridiculous, although I would fit belts myself even though not required. Basically to require the fitment of belts where they weren't originally required would mean forcing older cars to comply with more current regulations. Just imagine that taken to the extreme - you would probably force all cars older than a few years off the roads.
Exactly .... we're talking fundamental safety here, not extremes ... both the driver, who will get collected by the flying passenger and the flying passenger himself... pollution and other regs are another ballgame, but all this 'wipe off five' stuff we are saturated with, and yet they will still let people drive around at 110k unrestrained in the back seat of a car...
anyway, like you If I had a car with no seatbelts I would fit them, or not take passengers. You wouldn't forgive yourself if things went wrong....
I don't think 'the regualtions didn't make me', would work with my conscience.

Cheers, Neil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:31 pm 

yeah my old man has an original austin healey le mans race car 1956, but is is registered for the road, and that doesn't have any seat belts. I get scared when we go for a fast rap!!
They used to put harnesses in for racing