Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Rear window installation
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:14 pm 

Hey people, My back window has been leaking really badly of late so i decided to pull it out and replace the seal. It originally had that stalastic stuff with the wire imbedded in it, and i'm in the process of cleaning the window up to be tinted.

Now i was wondering, when installing the window, is there anything i should watch out for? and what should i use to seal it? I've heard there are rubber seals available for the back window. Should i try and get one of these or just use stalastic stuff? and is there any special surface prep i should look out for?

Thanks in advance people, any help'd be great :D

cheers
mick

Recommended Traders: Datsport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:54 am 

i'd pay a professional windscreen installer to do the job. at least that way you're guarranteed to have a perfect watertight seal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:44 am 

How much do you reckon i'd be looking at to get this done? I know it probably wouldn't be that much. Will ring around later when i get off the net as you have a very good point there. Don't wanna do all this and find out a week later that its leaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:27 pm 

scotts auto rubber want $100 for a new seal

http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/D ... 201600.htm

personally i'd be taking it somewhere to get installed because it looks like a prick of a job and they can worry about stuffing the seal and/or screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:37 pm 

O'Brien Glass quoted me 200 friggin bucks to install my back window, if i dragged the car AND the window in! its only $260 for a brand new front windscreen with installation, and thats a mobile service! they come to you! I'm gonna go get me some stickerflex and DIMS. I can buy alotta stickerflex for $200! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:34 pm 

your better off finding a small business to do it, i found that o'briens cost the most. i found a mobile guy who did it for 50 bucks a screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:14 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

this was mentioned before a while ago.

Use butyl mastic to seal the rubber.
Some installers dont like using it because its messy. Boo-hoo.
Dont let them make excuses and insist they use it.
Make sure the window channel is clean and dry.

Reinstall window with a small rope. Wrap it around the rubber inside the lip and bring the ends together at the middle of the bottom.
You have to be gentle and position the bottom first slowly pulling the rope from the inside so the rubber lip pulls out and over the panel lip. Go slowly and work the whole window down and in with a rubber mallet etc so the bottom seats fully first. As you pull the rope out and up keep pushing the window downward and inward, finishing at the top of the window in the centre.

I paid the first time, now i do my own...

Hope that made sense? :oops: tired... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:32 pm 

Definitely use the black stuff that is designed for use on windscreen seals. It doesn't set and so allows some movement of your screen when your car chassy flexes during driving.

If you use normal silicone, it will set hard and not allow any movement. You may find your screen cracks whilst driving.

I used the rope method Nick mentioned. Patience is the key.

Steve Owey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:41 pm 

if you feel that you just have to do the job yourself, try a couple of panel & paint supply places for a windscreen "cold pack". that's the one without the wire inside it. make sure you get a perfect seal or else the $100 you save now could blow out to a $1000 repair bill when your parcel shelf rots out in 18 months time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:21 pm 

Hey nick I think it's a 200B... it's glued in, the rope/rubber trick is for older dattos isnt it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:36 pm 

hey fellas, got some sikaflew 227 today. The automotive stuff, it sticks like sh!t to a blanket and i don't think my windows gonna be leakin. The guy who did my tinting used to work with windscreens and he installed it for me for free :D I'm cheerin.

And yeah it's a 200B :D