Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Datto number 5 for me
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 pm 

I get Datsun number 5 tomorrow.Its basically sight unseen only a few pictures sent to me from my son over the phone.I did see some cosmetic rust but it may still have a bit of structural rust too.It think it is a 71 or 72 model auto.I figure that may be a good thing as the auto's tend not to have been thrashed too much.Who ever had it aquired a L 20 Aparently from a 200b SSS.There are twin SU carbs and. Five speed but what type is unknown.?I have a Webber manifold so I think that is what I will be using. I don't have much experience with L 20's only 18 and 16 'sI just think I would prefere a smaller bore as they make a stronger motor with thicker cylinder walls.I am open to suggestions on this theory?I don't want a too hot motor but very hard reving and strong.150 hp would be what I would like.The drive train I want to be close range and a good LSD.I hear Subaru diff conversions are a good option these days.My previous 1600's had 10" ground clearance as I traveled lots of rough dirt roads.I needed it and may sill do the same on my number 5.Please feel free to give critical comment as I post up dates.thanks folk.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:28 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Personally, I much prefer an L18 over an L20 as well. Not sue why, just seem a "sweeter" engine ??

I still run an L18 with SU carbs in what has become my track-only 1600, despite having a few L20's in the shed and "better" carbs.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:05 pm 

Sounds like a good project.

Moved over to the Members ride section!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:53 pm 

Number 5 is sitting in my driveway.It arrived at 9 pm.Its in a sad and sorry state.The usual cancer but the idiots who previously owned it did quite a bit of damage by drilling holes every where.especially in the engin bay.Although it's an auto it was at one stage used as some sort of a track car.Its a total strip down weld replacement panels straighten out any ripples and repaint.There is a L 20 in it and an auto floor shift transmission.These never ran in that car as the tail shaft is too long.Engine mounts have never had that motor bolted down .It is just sitting on them I haven't had a good look at the sump but it seems to fit with appropriate clearance.It has a brake booster and a dual circuit system but looks like standard drum/ disc brakes.No fancy struts or rear suspension.There are two sets of Su carbs and manifolds,no extractors and standard machanicals dizzy.I could be wrong but the steering looks to be the non collapsible type.I am thinking the early imports and 68 models had them.The dissapointing thing is all the boxes of fittings are of poor quality and one would not consider using them on a car.Small cracks in tail light lenses chrome surrounds pitted and caroded.Totally butchered harness and only bits and pieces of headlight assembly is there.I like the mags but those will need going over too.Excited yes I am but at the same time disappointed a bit too.I had planed to do this over Two years but it may be two and a half.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:47 am 

Some rust work to do here and lots of other places too .Assessment and disassembly is next on my list.A good photo session for future refferance is being done today .I am going to try to systematically catagorize all my parts and eventually reassess them and refurbish or replace them too for future reassembly.The stripping the shell and getting it up on a rotisserie is probably next.New gear is going into my work shop like a blasting unit spray guns and that all important mig or tig ( undecided as yet) possable both.
DatsEZ

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.82 MiB | Viewed 10380 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:57 am 

The over all condition is pretty bad and a better candidate probably should have been aquired .But I reckon lets save this baby.Despite it being so rough I just couldn't let it die.Its worth saving.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:12 am 

The sill is that bad the lip needs replacing so I have. Something there to tack my new sill piece to .The front LH lower guard is gone and that hard to fabricate bit needs replacing too.Boot channels and gutters suffered a bit too along with the spare wheel well and tail light surrounds.Subframe looks pretty straight but I still want to measure things and see if it's OK.Big job for an old fart only 3 years to go till I turn 60My datto may be my 60th birthday present to me.dats EZ

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:04 pm 

hey Datsez, looks like you have your hands full with this one, i two have just purchased my 4th datsun/old school nissan, mine has a little bit of rust but not as bad as yours buy the sounds of it, good luck with the rebuild and keep posting pics as i am not to good with the metal refurb and am always interested in seeing how others can work magic

Regards Norm

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:53 pm 

Yeah Norm my car will be a hard one.I am only trained as a carpenter and joiner , gunsmith and industrial fibreglasser mould maker.I am no machanic or panel beater/ spray painter.Hell I can't even work at my trades now because of my arthritis and partial loss of sight in one eye.I am 57 years old and semi retired.I got lots of time and not much money but I plan on a 2 year rebuild.I am slow but I try to be precise and do things right.Just one step at a time.Besides that others are doing or have done this sort of thing so it can't be too hard.I just need to get the body done right and it should be a fairly straight forward reassemble.I will keep you folk posted .There may be some fancy fibreglass components that come out of this.Bonnet guards and boot maybe .Back in 1986.I made a plug and mould for an (Aunger) style external louvre.I only made one and I threw the mould away.About 180 hours of work just there.I have also contemplated a tilt front one piece bonnet too.Just need to check rego requirements .One of my relatives is an automotive engineer so that's my call a friend deal.Years ago he built me a 180 HP1.6 ltr motor.His own 720 ute had a 2.0 ltr 230 HP motor in it.You post your build too we may be able to help each other with tips.
Regards Richie

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:21 am 

Here is some more pics

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:05 am 

Can't post for some reason.Got to fix that one.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:33 am 

yeah i know what you mean, i am 51 and don't get under cars as easily as i used to, this is a link to my build but am lucky that i purchased a daily driver and am enjoying just putting around in it at the moment

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=34522

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:08 am 

Richie,
There are two ways to post photos:
One way is to host them on a site like: flickr, photobucket, picasa etc.
The other way is to try and attach them to the post, but this may not work unless one of the admins turns this option on for you.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:24 am 

Yeah I got 1picture up but Maybe admin allowed me to post that one.Thank you for the feed back.I am old school and not too phone or computer savy.Photo bucket looks a night mare to me so if the admin can't help I will get one of my kids or grand kids to get me sorted.Only minor problem when compared to my datto though.I currently feel ill in the stomach seeing that poor 510 sitting in such bad state in my drive way.I am however very keen to start my rescue mission and fix my datto up.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:13 pm 

I have seen it all now.The fools who previously owned my Datsun were attempting to fit an L 20 in its just sitting on the mounts tranny and all.Instead of getting a L 16 sump they must have contemplated cutting away the cross member to get the motor to fit .I know this as its been marked out.Now I have to check if they did any actual cutting.Hey I ain't no machanic but really.????.It ain't hard as folk know about these things and you just have to ask and they will generally help.When I looked at it at night with a torch it looked to be the right sump but in real day light the truth reveals its self.datsEZ