Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:17 pm 

Hi Guys,

Ive decided to start a write of my car but ill be importing the earlier stages from Datnet

Posted July 14, 2009

Ok guys I think its time to pull my finger out and do a write up on my project...

After many years of my fully rebuilt FJ sitting in my unfinished 1200 ute, Ive decided I'd rather have it in 4 seater car for cruise purposes and I like my reclinable seats. So after alot of time wasting on what car should I put this powerhouse in... I managed to find a nice 180b sss located in melb. After a phone call and a flight to victoria I found my self driving this really neat 180b SSS back to sydney. What amazed me about it was that it had no rust (except for a little surface on the rear qtr) in original paint and all trim in place with no cracks, tears or any thing!

At first I was a little worried about putting it on an 8hr run to syd, but after the owner assured me it was A1 mechanically I took that risk. The little bugger did 160km/h all the way back no worries --> gotta love the datto's

Now the SSS is in my garage and I was still in doubt wether to go ahead with all the planned mods I had for it, it sorta seamed too good to modify. And after all my friends advising me to keep it original I really had to think about it.

But No, the FJ had to go in... So a few months back I started to strip the engine bay and prepair to pull the original motor out when a few suprises came my way. As I removed the battery I come to realise that the old battery must have leaked acid and rusted the battery bracket, and with further inspection rust had formed on the chassis rail and underneath the battery bracket from the spilt acid (I knew the no rust thing had to be too good to be true). But then again to know there is not rust anywhere else Im still happy with the condition of the car.

So the battery bracket was cut out and all the rust repaired, and after weighing up my options I decided to respray the whole engine bay to save me doing it later. The only problem was i had to decide on what the colour of the car would be, which wasnt a choice I wanted to make at this point in time.

photos are on the way

Datsun 610/180B SSS FJ22 700 rwhp on E85
Datsun 810/200B SSS FJ20 (current build)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:30 pm 

Posted July 14, 2009

The day I picked it up

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:33 pm 

Posted July 14, 2009

Now if theres any thing I hate about cars, its gotta be rust repair and preperation for painting ( takes too long ). And after speaking to Baz from datsport, I ordered an FJ20 fitting kit for the good ol' 180b and got stuck in the removing the engine and repairing the problem

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:37 pm 

Posted July 14, 2009

Now my idea of building a car is:

1. Do all chassis mods

2. Fit all running gear

3. Run the car with everything working

4. take everything out

5. paint the car

6 put everything back in

However I was convinced by a friend that if I was going to all the hassle of repairing and painting 1/4 of the engine bay I may aswell paint it all. so I changed my plan and the engine bay was prepaired and sprayed with hi-fil

[ img ]

[ img ]

I Loved this part, it was so cool to spray Filler it actually came out really good

The only problem was I didnt know what colour to paint the car as the engine bay needed to match, so I began looking around at different colours for weeks. I didnt want to paint a colour that I would regret later and I didnt want something too flashy.

Then one day at a mates workshop, I saw a customers Pajero in a gun metal grey colour!

Even though the idea of gun metal was in my head already I never found a tone of it that I really liked, till now. the 98 Pajero comes in a distinctive gun metal gray that has a silver pearl. Which on curves gives a very difinitive look. I gotta say this colour on a pajero is a waste as it does not get noticed until you really pay attention, and the car is really boxy with no curves

The paint was matched and the engine bay was sprayed

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:41 pm 

Posted July 15, 2009

After the paint was all dry, and the Datsport kit all fitted, I was ready to put the motor in...

[ img ]

The FJ was bought back in 2001 with an MTX-8 and was originally going into my 1200 ute that I was building for the runs. It was built with forgies, port and polished head, crack tested etc. I was told everthing that can be done to it was done except for the cams. The chap that built it even got it powder coated for me for free!

Thanks Phil

Now Im sure some people will ask why has it taken so long to get back into into it --> 2001. Well I lost interest when sh*t kept popping up in my 1200 and it was only headache after headache. So I left it for years, but now Im back and ready to get this monster on the road. :). Im so happy Ive decided to put it into the 180b, and there will be a nice 1200 ute for sale soon...

Eventually the motor was put in, and I opted for a heavy duty clutch (excedy). I was advised to run a brass button by a few poeple to match the hp Im looking for which is 400-500, but I dont really like the feal of brassy's their just too jerky for me.

[ img ]

Gearbox installed after cutting the hole for the lever and tail shaft on... now I thought the hard part was over, how wrong was I lol

so much for this being a 3 month project :(

[ img ]

and after speaking to IMA42C and deeznutz who helped greatly with their posts and with choosing an intercooler and radiator

thanks boys

I chose the N13 pulsar brass/copper for a radiator and a 450x300x76 intercooler which fit like a glove

[ img ]

[ img ]

The pictures have now stopped because my camera battery's have died but the work has progressed

Thermo fans are now installed, radiator hoses, radiator over flow, fuel setup inlcuding running new fuel lines surge tank lift pump and hi pressure pump.

I ve also managed to get an r180 lsd and a set of r31 struts which I will be adapting a coilover kit to, and some r31 rear brakes with adpater plates, Im still weighing up wether I will be using the r31 brake setup on the front to save some cash or changing to r32 4spots... what do you guys think?

Next step is to clean and re-tar the rest of the under-chassis to keep it rust free and to customise the inlet plenum to fit an XF TB that I have recently purchased, thanks to ebay

Also waiting on some goodies

- Tial 44mm 0.6bar wastegate

- GT3082r bb Garrett

- GFB stealth BOV

- Custom equal header turbo exhaust manifold, ceramic coated ( after dummy fitting ofcourse )

Once I have all these bits the car will be sent to install a new 3" exhaust, cooler piping, Oil and water lines for turbo thanks to Haks

cant wait

next on the agenda is 750c injectors which I still need to find more info about, Im hoping I can get some that will fit the FJ fuel rail anyone with any ideas would be much appreciated.

Fez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:43 pm 

Posted December 25, 2009 (edited)

Ok Finally after a long stint at the exhaust shop the car is back and Im getting really excited now.

The Inlet Manifold was modified to suit the XF throttle body, a custom exhaust manifold was forged to suit the GT30 and wastegate, all intercooler piping and BOV plumback, oil lines and 3" custom exhaust fitted including screamer pipe. All thanks to Hakan from Performance Exhaust Parramatta

I have since replaced the brake master cylinder with new and fitted 750 cc injectors wiith a Sard Fuel pressure reg. And the engine bay has really started tro take shape.

[ img ]

[ img ]

It is time now to wire the MTX -8 and get this thing on the road...

Next in mind is the front suspension and brakes. Im still not sure of what I will do here but BAZ's Front suspension kits aint looking to bad at this stage to save some time as rego is nearing.

and Finally a Question for the Techs out there! Do I need an oil restrcitor for the Turbo? are they necessary? it is a Garrett GT3082r BB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:44 pm 

Posted February 5, 2010

Anyways some more updates....

Wiring is half way there, I just wish my mate would hurry up. ( I hope you read this Edsson)

Front suspension and brakes has been sourced. I chose to go with an r32 4spot brakes with SnS rotors and adjustabke coilovers. and R31 for the rear with SnS rotors, new shocks and lowered springs all round.

Tomorrow I will be taking out the rear setup --> Diff, arms, brakes etc to modify the braket, as I have sourced an R200 LSD with CV's which will be in good nik as its getting checked and tightened.

And Looking to get all the suspension brakes in and ready by next week. My camera is still stuffed but should have some pics soon

Fez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:44 pm 

Posted February 26, 2010

Atfer a trip to Stewart Wilkins this week... I now have my R200 LSD 3.9 with CV's Yeehaa. And after getting the run around from my mate who was wiring the car I decided to take it home and wire it myself!

I not sure how many hours Ive spent on the car, but Im ready to start this thing. Im still contemplating on doing the front and rear suspension and diff before I start it since its all just sitting there. Im really becoming impatient now

WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG! I JUST WANNA DRIVE :(

Fez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:48 pm 

Anyways a few more updates. I've had to resort to using my phone camera sice my camera is still stuffed. (dont buy a fujifilm if you gonna buy a camera).

Front suspension and brakes are in thanks to datsport.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Old diff, arms, rear x-member have been removed. I managed to find some underbody deadner that dried fast, (not two weeks like the other one i used) and now the underbody is starting to look really good. Since the car had no rust in the underbody Im very happy I got to add more protection as datsun are a bitch when it comes to rust in the underbody

R200 LSD has been source with modified cv's to suit 180b thanks to Stewart Wilkins. I have modified the rear x-member to fit the R200 which was very easy to do to my suprise, and I didnt even use a die-grinder. Just a good old file which took about 20 min of hard yakka. But with a file I found I had more precision and only needed to file off what was necessary.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Since the exhaust was in before the R200, I was worried that they might touch since the exhaust was custom made when the original r160 was in place, I was wrong Haks from Performance Exhuast at north parramatta was one step ahead, and everuthing clears. Thanks Haks.

Heres another updated engine bay photo

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:49 pm 

After a long hot day... man I hate sydney weather. I have the CV's one and rear arms installed.

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:49 pm 

Posted March 13, 2010

The rear end is in and the car now looks FAT!!!

But thats when more problems arose...

I did my final check ups installed the oil pressure gauge and I was ready to start it.

So I cranked it but with no luck, you could hear it kick over once or twice but then nothing. After being confident its a timing issue, a friend of mine was called in for his assistance.

Edsson tinkered with it a little and to my amazement it started. It ran ok for about 10 secs before it got really rough and then ultimately it stalled. So we tried again but nothing.

As we stood there looking at each other in dissarray we noticed the sound of a liquid leaking. I vigorously checked the motor for leaks but found nothing, it seemed to be coming from the inside of the engine.

So we pulled off the spark plugs and looked inside. In cylinder no. 4 there was a puddle of fuel, and I mean a puddle or you could even call it a lake. Edsson seemed to think it was an injector issue but I refused to comply since the injectors are brand new 750cc from RC Eng in the US. And after alot of disscusion he convinced me to take them out and to get them flow tested.

Being dishearted I took the injectors to PEPS auto liverpool to get them tested. I gotta say PEPS auto liverpool is the best auto place in syd. They have many services and products that are just not found anywhere else.

Anyway Jack put them on his machine and called me inside. Having my fingers crossed behind my back I was hoping they would be ok. Then he said watch, he flicked the switch and I am dissapointed to tell you guys that one injector was completely stuck open. The fuel went through it as if there was no injector there.

I was ready to kill someone. :verymad:

Not knowing what my options are since the injectors custom made with hose tail end and were ordered directly from RC Eng, I really had in mind that I would have problems getting a replacement from them. I didnt feel that I should have to pay for another injector.

So this morning at 3am I made the phone call and explaind to them my issue. To my suprise they were very understanding of my frustration and were very supportive. They promised that they will have one shipped out today to my suprise, the only thing they wanted in return was for me to send them the faulty injector back so they can test it and figure out what happend to it. They even said they would contact me to let me know what the issue was. Thanks heaps to Carol and Wayne from RC Eng.

retracting my "wanting to kill someone" status :D I was extremely happy with the outcome. I guess sometimes I get a little ahead of myself.

This delay has come as a blessing in disguise as I have spent many hours recently on the car, and my body does need the break.

This being my first car build, I do beleive I began this project as an ametuer. I would like to thank the many people who have given their advice and opinions and helped on this project as my learning curve in this hobby has risen at an exponential rate in this past year.

All that is left now is the accelerator cable which is in the process of geting made to suit. Next on the agenda after I recieve the injector is to take it down to JEM for a base tune, and then Engineers.

Oh Yeah, I have also got my custom plates for this baby "BAD-610".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:50 pm 

Posted March 24, 2010 (edited)

Ok

Accelerator cable is made and fitted thanks to Chad "The Cable Guy" and parts were machined by Robert "Definite Dimension Engineering" to mount the cable to the fire wall.

on Friday the replacement injector arrived and after my recent bad luck I decided not to try and start it. I booked it in with "Just Engine Management" for them to start it and for a base Dyno.

Having in mind that the motor was built long ago I was aware that something may be wrong with the motor, and Ive been anxious all week.

Until today, my phone rang at 4pm and on the other side was Adam from JEM. Bracing myself for possible bad news... Im proud to say all is well, Adam said he couldnt believe the motor was built 8 yrs ago as it started first crank, he also said that is sounded really really good to his suprise with a complement to all the other things that were done to the car also.

Bodywork, paint and wheels are definitley in the pipeline now.

But all that is left to drive now is to modify the front grill to fit the intercooler, get front new tyres and alingment and run it in to be ready for the next dyno. currently boost is set to min (9psi) and rev limiter is set to 4700 producing 110kw @4700 rpm (for now) :)

I would like to send my great appreciation and thanks to the following people for help working on the car, advice and services

Dad

Mum

Moey - Brother

Raf - Friend

Niki - Friend

Sam Z - Cousin

Loui - Friend/Neighbour

Mark - Friend

Alfonzo - Friend

Hakan - Friend/ Performance Exhaust Centre - North Parramatta

Baz - Datsport - SA

Chad - The Cable Guy - Liverpool

Robert - Definite Dimension Engineering - Moorebank

Adam - Just Enginemanagment - Ingleburn

Phil - Engine Builder - out in the sticks

Stewart - Stewart Wilkins Motorsport - Windsor

Carol and Wayne - RC Engineering - USA

All Datnet Members who gave their input to my questions and their opinions including deeznutz, IMA42C, TUF510, SX-510, SSS-610, dat16v, and many many more. You guys wont believe how much you have assisted me in this project

I would also like to give half a thanks to my friend Edsson from E auto Wetheril Pk for taking 2 months to get a half finished, half assed effort in wiring my car and then trying to charge me full price :down: , I gotta say it looks really good and some of your advice did help. but no brownies for effort or completion.

And incase I have forgotten anyone I apologise and thanks.

Im hoping my first drive will be tomorrow night, Ill let you guys know how it goes B)

Fez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:50 pm 

Posted April 21, 2010

Yeah vid will come soon...

Ok my last update was a while ago but after tinkering with the car, changing a few things and eliminating leaks Im happy to say the car has been run in and drives like a new!!!

Not in my wildest dreams did I think the outcome would be like this, the motor is so smooth and Baz's kit really makes the car handle great.

IMA42C - the feeling you speak about is phenominal. Im so proud Ive done this. I cant imagine what the car will feel like when boosted, It goes really well as is :D. Im yet to break traction as the rev limiter is still on but thats the next step I think. when I get the car retuned, but first I have to get a fuel rail made up to suit my injectors. I know I know I should have thought of this before I bought the injectors, but then again I did not think I will be going this far with the car.

Engineers are in the pipeline as soon as I sort out the Charcoal canister and plumb back the screamer pipe.

Fez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:54 pm 

Posted June 18, 2010

Its been a while since my last update as I have been sorting out little issues with the car and been running it in. But Im glad to say that it was sent to the dyno and the 180b produced 241rwkw at 20psi.

But then I was pissed to find out there was water leaking from the side of the block from the head gasket. Then again the motor was built 9yrs ago so I cant really complain.

So off with the head she goes...

[ img ]

It was good in a way since now I can find out what the hell has been done to my motor since it was built when i knew nothing about cars

I now know it has Wiseco Forged pistons and forged rods not sure what brand

[ img ]

ported head
[ img ]

cams are stock though

so this was an opprtunitty to make some upgrades like a cometic head gasket and ARP head studs

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Anyway after a headache in trying to learn how the cams work on these things, man that tensioner is a pain in the ass, I think I have coverd now though

its all back together and it ready for another dyno { thats another 400 bucks :confused:: }

so its booked in as I assume my timing would be little out and the thickness of the head gasket changes the chamber size in regards to tunning

Im hoping it may dyno a little better this time around!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:54 pm 

Ok car is back together and retuned aswell but for some reason it produced less power. 227 kw, however boost shifted 1000 rpm lower, so now it boost at 3000 rpm rather than 4 . So I'm guessing that the person who built this advanced the cams to produce more power. I'm happy with as is with less power but more bottom end boost as it's zippy and really fun to drive.

Anyway I've taken it to wsid the last few weeks and man what an expirience as I've never been before, managed a best of 12.780@112 mph on 225 semi's with the car all over the road in 1st and 2nd.

I've also manged to get my hands on some nice steel wheels which I'm getting modifed to fit bigger tyres and then hopfully a low 12 and maybe high 11.