Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm 

As the title suggests, I'm looking to put an sr20det into my 200b but im currently still on my P plates. Since NSW P plater laws changed, power-to-weight ratios of 130kW or less per tonne are acceptable, but I'm not keen to put the engine in and find out it exceeds the power-to-weight ratio limit and have to take it out again. Does anyone who has done this before know roughly the power-to-weight ratio? Or is there a way to calculate it for a future build?

I'm not too good with cars so apologies if there is an easy answer, appreciate any help :)

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:51 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

NSW p-plate laws also ban driving cars with engine conversions, regardless of the power-to-weight.

From the RTA website :

•Vehicles with significantly modified engines,

Also :

The vehicles that P-platers are allowed to drive from 1 August 2014 are considered to have a low or moderate-performance, and they have modern, effective safety features.

200B's don't really fit into the latter category with modern, effective safety features, and an SR20'd 200B would definitely fall into the "significantly modified engine" category.

Anyway, to work out power to weight, divide the power by the weight (in tonnes). I would assume you will need to work out roughly the weight of the finished car, so subtract the weight of the L20B engine / gearbox from a 200B's factory weight figure, and add on the weight of an SR20DET engine / gearbox. I would also assume you need to know the factory power rating for an SR20DET (not just a rear wheel kW dyno figure, actual factory flywheel power rating).

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:44 pm 

Appreciate the help, Ill consider the swap as I get off my P's in about 4 months :) Is an l20b worth doing up at all? Have a rebuilt l20b with twin carbs but honestly not sure what else to do with it.

Heres a pic of her, not quite finished, needs wheels/engine bay painted etc:
[ img ]