Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Brad's 1972 1600
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:02 pm 

Nice project you've got there, Brad, looking forward to seeing what you do with it! Although it does seem like your plans are getting bigger with every update haha, but that tends to happen. I like the idea of a simple and period-correct build, just upgrading the necessities and driving the thing as much as possible.

I reckon some nice later model (but still retro) Nissan rims with decent rubber would suit. I've got a soft-spot for these...

[ img ]

Or even some R31 Skyline wheels, there are a few different style alloys for them that can be had for cheap, and being 15" you can get good tyres for them fairly easily.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:24 pm 

Thanks Anth,

Hahah yeah, started of small, but plans progressed. I have set out though now what i am doing and leaving it as that.. And thats what I have come to, a nice looking simp and period car, but still has the old school touch. Yeah, I am still up in the air about wheels. I am looking around and leading towards the superlites with a polished lip and like a gun metal or black inside. just too suit the car as I am going to be leaving it white when i re paint it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:26 pm 

Another thing to mention also guys! I have also gone and met up with a restoration company who are willing to take on project to help me out. They are defiantly keen after having a look at the car. And Good news! Doesn't need to much, the car has been well looked after previously which is great news so don't have to go replacing things left right and centre on car. Just needs a few little things. So plan is to save some more money up and hopefully hand it to restoration company just before christmas/new year at the latest.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:56 pm 

Bit fo a delay on the parts so been waiting a few weeks. hopefully parts get shipped this week if not next week then can get into it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:48 pm 

So what exactly does the resto company do? Structural stuff, or as much as you want/can afford??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:15 pm 

The restoration company mainly does body work and rust repair etc etc. but yeah as much as you can afford for body etc. so after body is done then got to source out painter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:32 pm 

Update!!! Finally Can say the parts I had ordered from Baz at Datsport have turned up! Front Struts, new brakes, brake booster, adjustable rear end DIY kit, new rear shocks and springs and steering box bracket... And still eventually got more to come to help car.

So I started by lifting car up onto jacks and start looking under car fully and seeing what there is to deal with. At close inspection, most if not all parts are still original from what I can see except a few things like rear springs, a few ball joints and thats about it.. So, started by removing front original struts, Didn't take me long, around 15 minutes ether side. Did process of removing brake fluid, then callipers, then disc, then the strut.

Also, looking at gearbox, the Rear Extension Housing Seal has failed and will need a new seal, which I will do once I remove rear end as easier to remove tail shaft, and also as I plan on dropping oil out of gearbox and engine, and putting fresh oil in and giving car a service.

After close inspection, the original R/H Strut was leaking and would not of been helping car, and the L/H Strut was all fine.

So then time came to put new struts in. I was bloody excited if you were around me as I have been waiting for this for a few weeks and to finally start working on the car.
It all went as smooth as it could. it all fitted easy, no issues. Started fitting disc's up on right sides, and then calliper brackets. All going good until putting callipers on.

Nothing can go smooth with cars being modes! The bottom of the calliper was hitting the top of the ball joint near the castle nut. and split pin etc. So on the phone to Baz and an email and a few more phone calls.
We have come to conclusion, I am getting some spaces to go between the bottom of the strut and the ball joint at the bottom that is connected to tie rod etc to lower that issue and it all fits without having to do cutting, or swapping struts and having callipers at front etc etc.

So that took 2 days as I was taking time and on phone to Baz a few times.

One thing for sure is if you ever need advice or parts. Highly recommend Baz at Datsport. Advice and experience and everything is exceptional.

So hopefully get those parts next week to continue doing the front struts. Then will start working out the brake lines as I have to re run some as I have a 7/8 brake booster for the car. And while doing that will drop the rear end out and start disassembling rear end and put the adjustable rear end onto cross member (with help from mate at work who fabricator)

If you have any questions about build just ask away and will answer as best as I can. Build is going to be over a while but will be a full restoration just not like everyone and do it straight off.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_0871.jpg [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 3058 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_0869.jpg [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 3058 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_0868.jpg [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 3058 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_0864.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 3058 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_0867.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 3058 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_0865.jpg [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 3058 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:34 pm 

Hey Guys,

So after waiting around a week and a few days for these parts to turn up. They have turned up today and I have put them in the car and the issue is fixed!!!! So happy to now have the front struts, callipers, disc all new in the car.. this weekend I plan on trying to finish of the front as much as i can. Add steering box support, brake booster. Then I plan on trying to pull the rear end out and start stripping it and getting it ready to add the DIY Rear End Adjuster.

The biggest thing I am trying to work out is how to re run the brake lines. I am tempted to re do the whole brake line system as the original ones I don't know condition until I pull them out and have a good look over them. Will keep thinking for a bit while i pull everything else out i need and also keep working on it.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_0891.jpg [ 1.59 MiB | Viewed 3028 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_0890.jpg [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 3028 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:37 am 

Great work there Brad. Good luck with the brake lines.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:07 pm 

Hey Brad. Nice score, love the rising sun boot

If you want a second hand floor mount handbrake, check out the one I have for sale in parts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:56 am 

Hey Guys, Sorry for lack of updates and everything. Got busy with Work and then also am currently sick and trying to find out whats wrong so haven't been able to do much to the datsun other then drive it. bit of a shame, but health comes first. hopefully by mid year will have all the upgrade parts that i bought on the car then it just a matter of saving the $$$ to then strip it and give it a new birthday.