Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:54 pm 

Ive looked all over for the best engine for my motorhome and ended up with the L6

Dont want a holden/buick v6, 202, ford 6 or lexus v8

The L series is simple, reliable and rev happy for what I need

ATM ive got a 2L OHV 3 bearing cranked 5R POS that with slightly bigger diameter tyres
it revs at 3400 rpm at 100km/hr, Im going to put slightly smaller diameter tyres so
calculated revvs will go up to 3600-3800 rpm unless I change the 6.1 diff ratio to 5.5

Is there anyone that can recommend someone that can make an adaptor to suit an L6?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:14 pm 

You need to start with a piece f tube, that, with some machining in a lathe, can be bolted snugly under the engine main caps, and extends out as far as the second/rear bulkhead in the dyna box.
Use the front plate inside the bell housing of the Dyna box, as a centreregister for mainshaft.
This will involve some machining to both front plate and long tube.
The tube then needs to register into second bulkhead using a suitable machined collar into where the mainshaft bearing would normally be, this ensures the gearbox mainshaft lines up perfectly with the crankshaft centreline.

This is great, f the Dyna bellhousing is alloy, simply slice ff the flange with the 5R bell to block bolt holes, slice off a suitable bit f bell to block flange off a L series bell housing, get the widths of each correct, to give you a overall bellhousing lenght to suit the clutch fork/throwout bearing, at disengaged pisition.
Then using long tube, fit to block main caps, slde thin rear engine plate on, slide on and bolt L series cut flange, slide on Dyna 5R box, get lengths right, and weld up,, using little bits of stitch TIG weld.
Easy!

Or, just use a stronger box, from a S14/S15/RB30 etc bolted to a L bell, and make a double cranked remote shifter assy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:17 pm 

Nissan Australia Motorsport at Clayton Vic, did that, in E20vans, using L 6 Cyl engines, triple Mikuni carbs, with close ratio 5 speed,L boxes, using the remote mount shift mechanisms on the steering column!
Fastest ever rally service vehicles!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:23 pm 

Thanks Jason, Yep I hear you about the work, its alot of it!!! to get it all right, the most I can do is the engine mounts no problems but the reason I wanted to use the the 5 speed column shift alloy bellhousing box is because its a super strong box, stronger than a supra R154 box.

The L6 Nissan is perhaps the most reliable of all Japanese petrol 6 cylinders that has good economy, power and chain driven.
I know there are other options like chev or ford v8 but thats going backwards in all the aspects mentioned except power.
Funny that the only chain driven L6 from toyota is the M series and are attrocious things

The biggest issue is the handbrake is on the back of the box not on the rear drums or diff.

If I can get somekind of aftermarket or other hand brake assembly to fit another box like a Nissan box Id be set

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:38 am 

What about an mq Patrol gearbox?
Don't know if you can remove the transfer case easily though

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:09 am 

Isn't the Dyna gearbox similar to a Land Cruiser gearbox?

What about Castlemaine Rod Shop?
http://www.rodshop.com.au/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:43 am 

Yep tried those avenues

They can only do the holden 202, v6 and v8 from ford or horrid den 308

I prefer Jp engine all day long

Problem is dyna box has handbrake and is as strong as a R154 supra box well known adapted behind big blocks in F100 fords the dyna box is

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:08 pm 

You could sandwich a cast iron rear drum onto a rear drive shaft universal, and chassis mount the handrake backing plate between the chassis rails, with the centre of the backing plate suitably enlarged to clear the spinning tailshaft.
Quite a few trucks run similar setup.

If the stock Dyna bell housing is alloy, grafting a L series front of bell flange onto the cutoff flanged Dyna bell, would not be that difficult!