Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Datsun 1200 Coupe Build
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 pm 

Hey all,

As I am new to the Datsun world, I thought I would come here and get some advice from people that know more about these great cars than I do!

I've owned a few cars, but I've always had my eye on a Datsun. I just bought a 1973 Datsun 1200 Coupè,(the one I've bought is actually the first coupe I've ever seen), and I've already fallen in love with this little car, and I plan on doing a full rebuild and doin a few mods and upgrades.

I bought it from a guy who had started a rebuild, he had taken the original 1200 engine out which wasn't running and has replaced it with a Nissan Bluebird L20B engine. I originally planned on putting an SR20DET motor in it, but I've done a bit of research and a lot of people are saying that the L20B engine is quite a strong engine for mods and is good for a turbo and even boring it out to a larger stroke if you want to go that far. But in saying that it is heavier than the other options. I have also heard that the CA18DET motor is also a good transplant motor for the Datsun as it is light but still gives out a good amount of power.

Which direction am I best going? What is going to be the easiest option? I want this to be a powerful little dato, but also reliable. So what engine am I going to be able to do some good work to and get some good power out of? what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:37 pm 

Welcome to the Datsun world! you are now doomed as they usually multiply and before you know it, you own another couple..
You'll have to upload some pics! The coupes are a really nice shape.

L20b engine are great if you wanted to keep an old engine, just whack some sidedraft carbs on it and youve got a nice sounding car with a bit of power.
But if you wish to do a conversion to a newer engine, i would personally go CA18det, as you are unable to get sr20det engineered in a 1200 anymore.

Can definitely get power out of a CA18det. Good luck with the build mate!

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1966 Nissan Cedric Custom Six
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
1974 Toyota Landcruiser Stallion (SWB)
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:08 am 

Jump onto datsun1200.com

personally I like l series over ca. But a sweet n/a sr20de would be good.
Read the drag times they had at heatcote recently.
Quite quick for a stroker l20- 2.4lt, a ca18det abd a sr20dve.
Also depends on your budget and location.