Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

So I've always wanted a 200B SX, but never managed to get my hands on a good one. A friend of mine found this one advertised for me, and although it popped up at a really, really bad time for me, I decided I had to go and have a look. It was located deep in country Victoria, a good few hours from my place. And all I had was these three photos to go on:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

I drove up there one night after work to check it out. The story I had been told was that it was a one registered owner car, that had had an electrical problem many years ago. The engine bay wiring loom was replaced but then the car wouldn't start. So it was pushed into a shed and left. The last registration sticker is for 1988, which is before I was born! Whilst in storage some rats and possums made it their home, so most of the interior was completely beyond saving. Here are some picture I took of the car on the day:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Someone obviously started repairing it a long time ago, and whilst you can't see in the photos it was actually fitted with a brand new genuine bonnet a bit before it came off the road :) this was never painted, but it's probably the best 200B bonnet I have ever seen. Strangely it also had (ruined) 200B Aspen seats (the seller was about to have a bonfire and was kind enough to let me leave them on his farm), and air-conditioning, so I think it way have been an optioned-up run-out. The engine is not original (it was swapped out in 1987) but the engine in there isn't seized. Long story short, I almost didn't but ended up buying it as they are very hard to find and I could see this being a good base for what I had in mind for a project. I then made the long drive back to a friend's place in Bendigo where I stayed the night before getting up at 4:30am the next day to make it to work!

A week or so later, myself and Callan (Dato200B) made the trip up there in his ZL Fairlane to tow it home. Just as we were getting comfortable in the car's living-room interior, the temperature gauge shot to the top, and we were then forced to stop at many country towns along the way (including a random berry farm just outside Woodend) to continuously obtain water. Upon arriving at the house to pick up the SX, we discovered that the brakes were completely seized, and we ended up stuck like this:

[ img ]

The winch on the borrowed scout group car trailer was broken, luckily the seller was mechanically minded and we managed to fix it, otherwise we would have never have got the car on. Getting the car back off at the other end was equally as difficult, luckily my housemate and her friend were there and with four of us straining we just managed to get the car off the trailer and into the garage. That was a very long day.

On the way home we found a car wash in Kyneton and the car came up a lot better with years of dust washed off:

[ img ]

So far I haven't really done a whole lot on the car. I began polishing the bootlid before realising that this was a complete waste of time as it will need a very serious cut and buff. In saying that the paint doesn't appear too thin. I have assessed the rust, it is quite minimal for a Datsun. I believe the car may have hit a kangaroo at some point as the bonnet has been replaced, the spoiler is missing, the drivers' side guard has been replaced with a red SX guard and an incorrect grill was fitted. The first thing I did was fit my SX grill, which conveniently happened to be red:

[ img ]

Not much will happen for now, but I plan to either get the existing engine running or source a replacement. Once I have managed to get the inside of the car to stop smelling I will fit my black SX interior and get everything working. It will need some minor touching up but I don't think a re-spray is necessary for now. The plan is to, hopefully by the end of the year, have it up and driving and ready for club rego.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:30 am 
Guru

Good find Al :thumbsup:

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:35 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Cant believe you were relying on brakes that havnt been used in 24years. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:12 pm 

Great. So have you got rid of some other cars and this will be one of the main focus points now?

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:48 am 

He hasnt gotten rid of anycars. Hes building a used car garage. But they are all different cars for different purposes.

It's not a bad unit but 200bs are an acquired taste.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:03 pm 

I just want to see some solid progress towards a slammed period 200B SX with tasteful fitment :)

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:29 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Heath - give me time and hopefully I can fulfill your request. I plan on having it quite a bit lower, thinking I might keep the SX wheels with fat tyres though, not sure yet.

Nick - the guy I got it from (a friend of the original owner) moved the car to where it was so I guess I assumed it would roll. I'm certainly not relying on anything being good to go in this car so they will be overhauled before use.

Baz - thanks :) I like the way it has been sitting dormant for longer than I have been in this world for, kind of seems fitting that I resurrect it, hopefully that happens :thumbsup:

The aim is to strat by checking all of the electrics work since apparently they've been played around with, then fumigate the interior and put my black SX interior in. Once all that is back together I plan on re-doing brakes, suspension, bushes etc, then I'll worry about getting it going. Then the minor body work required, painting the bonnet and touching up the small repairs. It'll all happen slowly but I'll get there.

The fleet:

Australia:

Europe:
Dato200B wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:00 pm 

Bro thats fukin awesome. Like a povo camira formula. Any interest for me ECOTEC? would be a huge improvement bro.

1977 datsun 200b GX drag\drift ECOTEC powered.
holden Camira FORMULA RIP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:07 pm 

Good to see some progress. I think you failed to mention the faultless drive home we had in majestic fairlane. Although the drive up was stressful.
Heath alistair grows old Jap cars I'm fairly sure. Although I'm fairly sure they should come of the tree in nicer condition. Regardless I'm running out of fingers to count them on.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:25 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Callan - you're right, I definately should have mentioned that! Once the car was on the trailer we had no overheating issues, in fact the car ran faultlessly. Weird...

Big ShaunO - I think I saw you refer to a certain type of Camira as the GTHO of the Camira range, well this is the GTHO of the 200B range ;) and I don't plan on fitting an Ecotec. I'm not particularly fond of L20Bs but I don't dislike them that much...

The fleet:

Australia:

Europe:
Dato200B wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:14 pm 

Your right bro camira formula is the same as GTHO. them L200B motors are sh*t mate no potential. I reckon I can make up an ECOTEC conversion kit you can have one bro.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:41 pm 

Wow your turning up a low kays ecotec. Excellent decision. Have to keep an eye on you now that you have that chevlux.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:54 pm 

Last I heard Al was going to put the 308 from the hilux into the 200b. He believes a chev badge will fit nicely onto the SX grille... but then he said he won't be able to use the Gilmer pulley because it won't clear the radiator....
I'm trying to convince him to stick with the all mighty L-Series...

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1966 Nissan Cedric Custom Six
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
1974 Toyota Landcruiser Stallion (SWB)
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:01 pm 

308? Thought it was a 350? Oh well

needs more billet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 pm 

love it mate, mine was last regoed in 89 and also missing mag on front left side (came with car but) wish the owner of mine left it undcover like yours as he left it out in the weather after buying more cars in the late 90's after storing it undercover since leaving it unregoed since 89 :(