Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:54 pm 

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/57718/ ... motor-show

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2013/11 ... is-reborn/
Quote:
Nissan's global vice president Andy Palmer promised fans that a response to Toyota's popular 86 coupe - its "mid-life crisis car" - would debut at this week's Tokyo Motor Show.

Here it is: the IDx concepts, revealed here in a racing Nismo trim, alongside a more road-focused 'Freeflow' design.

Both concepts are of course heavily inspired by Nissan's rich history of two-door models, including the hugely popular 510 Bluebird of the 60s and 70s, know here as the Datsun 1600.

There's a touch of the classic 'Hakosuka' Skyline coupe in the IDx's design, too. Really, you could sink hours into finding familiar features in this new concept's classic look.

In the case of the Nismo concept, there's also a colour scheme that will be instantly recognisable to fans, evoking memories of the legendary Team BRE 510 race car - badged as a Datsun back then, of course.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soi_MI-jP7s

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:16 pm 

ugly!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:25 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Agreed. I'll repeat what i wrote on Youtube:

"Wow, what a let down! After owning over twenty Datsun 510's over the years this is the ugliest Datsun/Nissan ive ever seen. This concept is too square and makes my boxy 510's look curvy in comparison. Rear wheel drive is a winner as the market lacks RWD's but smooth out those pointy corners and flat panels so it doesnt look like a 3d papercar thats been folded together. The c-pillar just doesnt flow at all with the lines of the windows or roof and no i dont want to drive a car with an interior of a racing simulator. Why design cars for people who arnt into them, design them for the motoring enthusiasts who really love them. Nissan, go back to your drawing boards and look at what makes your most popular cars famous like the Z, GTRs and SSS's. Light weight, RWD, powerfull, sporty handling, race proven. simple in design, stylish, parts compatible with other Nissan models etc. Check out the new mustangs and camaro's for example, now they have hit the nail on the head IMO..."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Still, it is a concept car. Production cars rarely end up looking as weird and/or wild as the concept.

eg: FT-HS original concept of the GT-86
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _NYIAS.jpg

Pointy edges and flat panels is where it's at in (Japanese) automotive design trends at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:36 pm 

The difference is, the Gt-86 concept is good looking and the nissan is not

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:50 pm 

I think with some refinement it will look better.
There was a render done by one of the guys on 510 Realm which looked like a mini Mustang. I think finding a balance between the two would be good.
Are they trying to make the next S15, or are they going to make something to compete with the 86?

The GT-86 concept you showed Mr Camo looks SICK!

Not sure if you guys have seen the Subaru WRX concept:
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/56251/ ... ated-video
Now that is tough... If Subaru don't bring that out....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I think i found the inspiration pics for the IDx concept!

[ img ]

[ img ]

Seriously tho I guess i did have a similar reaction to the Z-car (350z) concept when that was originally released.
Something like this:
[ img ][ img ]
That at least turned out ok when it did go into production. Not great, but ok.
Hope it gets ALOT better prior to production.
Nissan need to read the old car reviews and comparisons back in the day to see why Datsuns were favoured so much compared to other models.
I reckon we all could paint a great picture for Nissan of what we'd like to see produced if we perhaps listed reasons why we like/bought all of our datsuns on here.
I listed some in my comment above but there are many more like 'price' for example.
Nissan should focus on these real things and make another genuine cult classic, not cater to Generation 'Z' who will be too busy gaming to really appreciate their cars. No offence all you young ones. Dont let it become another econobox hybrid Prius etc.
The motor should never be smaller than 2lt too. Most of us are already putting 2litre turbo motors in our 40yr old cars already.
It would be a step back going to a 1.6 as they stated in one of the articles. 2.5L turbo or an NA V6 (think R35 gtr motor) would be nice pending cars final size/weight...
(Rant over)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:59 pm 

It's interesting with motor size.
I remember driving dads Nissan Skyline (C210) and wishing it had another 600cc's from the original L24. (and less pollution gear, and better seats and less soggy springs and... and.....and)
The Stagea could do with another 300-500CC's (say 2.8 to 3.0L) with the turbo but it's pretty good with the variable cam timing and turbo charging for a daily.
Why was the S13 to S15 so good? Chassis and engine. Great to drift/track and good to modify. The 2 Litre was average from the factory here in australia, but with some small mods it was awesome.

The AMG mercedes A class is 2 litres with a turbo and putting out 260Kw already. It's running stupid boost (something like 25psi or 30psi?)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:24 am 

I like it. the c pillar is the bit I don't like.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:35 am 

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
nick wrote:
I think I found the inspiration pics for the IDx concept!

[ img ]

[ img ]

Nissan need to read the old car reviews and comparisons back in the day to see why Datsuns were favoured so much compared to other models. I reckon we all could paint a great picture for Nissan of what we'd like to see produced if we perhaps listed reasons why we like/bought all of our datsuns on here.

Nissan should focus on these real things and make another genuine cult classic, not cater to Generation 'Z' who will be too busy gaming to really appreciate their cars. No offence all you young ones. Dont let it become another econobox hybrid Prius etc.
The motor should never be smaller than 2lt too. (Rant over)
Its clear the fiat 131/132 Abarth was the inspiration heavily borrowed for this calamity,
the 510 maybe inspired the Fiat 131 but definitely vice versa nothing unJap about that.
Italians & Germans would be laughing at the body, the interior is not too bad but that grille
area slab failure is no laughing matter but total a total brain dead effort.

Shame Nissan that Jew faced leader that controls you matches the ugliness he revealed.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
jew as ugly as ruined 510 revival.JPG [ 34.1 KiB | Viewed 3423 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
fiat-132-10.jpg [ 59.4 KiB | Viewed 3423 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
fiat-131-abarth-09.jpg [ 70.4 KiB | Viewed 3423 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
1980Fiat131AbarthABARTHWORKS10RallyMonteCarlo7.jpg [ 53.17 KiB | Viewed 3423 times ]
I will add to that we need composites for weight reduction, 2 liter like the Evo alloy beast
maybe a revamp of the QR25 but with closed deck sand casting and LZ like rocker cover
The design of Nissan engines has gotten uglier than ever after the good looking SR.
About time soemone offered a good looking donk and a bay thats easy to work on
rather than crap everywhere with wiring that should be hidden.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:15 am 

Gotta admit I quite like it

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:04 pm 

lampy wrote:
The difference is, the Gt-86 concept is good looking and the nissan is not
Toyota and Subey have nothing to worry about, rice is not always nice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:14 pm 

I think if it was a little toned down with softer lines it would look pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

nick wrote:
Seriously tho I guess I did have a similar reaction to the Z-car (350z) concept when that was originally released.
Something like this:
[ img ][ img ]
That at least turned out ok when it did go into production. Not great, but ok.
Yeah, I was never a fan of the 1999 Nissan 240Z concept. It was Nissans first attempt at a retro styled car.
I think it was just a design exercise to kindle interest in the Z brand, as there were plans to bring the Z back.

The later 2001 (350)Z concept is is totally different and almost identical to the 350Z that went into production. There was a design concept from 1995 that looks more like the 350Z than the Nissan 240Z concept.

I think the IDx is just a design exercise like the 240Z concept was. Whatever comes after it wont look anything like it.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Zfront3qtr.jpg [ 38.25 KiB | Viewed 3361 times ]
[ attachment ]
Zrear.jpg [ 91.57 KiB | Viewed 3361 times ]
[ attachment ]
Zrear3qtr.jpg [ 34.44 KiB | Viewed 3361 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:44 pm 

Yep, gotta agree, that is hideous.

They better pull their finger out for my mid life. Although I dare say ill be buying something old skl again :-D