Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:16 pm 

well the day has nearly arrived... with saturday fast approaching i will be a proud owner of a datsun 1600.

question is what should i do????

sit and look at it all day?

start pulling it to pieces?

invite all my mates around and brag?

or drive it till the sun sets??

tell me what you did on your first day as a datsun owner? (if you can remember?)

graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:48 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

On the second day of Datsun 1600 ownership (my first car), I drove my pride and joy to work.

I then discovered that I couldn't lock the front doors !!!!

Couldn't let my baby get stolen - what to do ??? :idea: Pull the plug leads and dizzy cap off and take them into work with me.

Only problem was that I took the leads off the cap first, and when I went to put it back together after work I couldn't work out what leads went where. A couple of hours later, after ringing dad and borrowing a workshop manual from the library, it was all back together and running again.

Worked out late that night (after dismantling the doors to work out what was wrong) that you can only lock the doors from the outside with the key while the door is shut. I had been trying to push the inside door lock knob down with the door open.........

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:16 pm 

picked mine up on a car trailer, went to a car wash and tried unsuccessfully to wash some of the dirt/grease off of it, took it home, let it sit on the trailer a while (had tea) then came out with the digi cam and took a load of photos, rolled it into the garage and began stripping it down! :D
thats our first day,
dave

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:43 pm 

well i shall be able to tell you all what i got up to tomorrow........dont know what i am going to do but who cares i have a 1600.............

graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:26 pm 

i sat in my 1600 and pretendered to drive it...begin 15 and all.ahhaha :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:47 am 

When we got our datsun as a family, my Dad and I drove it home. I remember sitting in the front passanger seat, with sunnies on thinking I was the King of everything.

When I got the Datsun for myself, I cant remember what I did hahaha. Its funny I can remember stuff from over 10 years ago but I cant remember stuff from 3 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:52 am 

bought my first rough datsun just as a thrashy, first day took it past my friends house so we can all just sit back and laugh at the sh*t box, then took it to a park and had turns doin hellies in the paddock.. thrashed it around all night, dumping it from N to D to try and light the bags up, and to eventually destroy it... We had an absolute BLAST!!

then we stopped laughing,

amazed, confused and dumbfounded that the box, diff, or engine didnt shatter itself, and the car actually drove better after its ordeal...

ever since then my love for the little Datto beast grew...

Earned my respect - now if anyone dares to laugh at my datto they wouldnt know what hit em..
:wink:

anyway that was my first night as a datto owner..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:58 pm 

My mum drove me back in mine from canberra, after looking one for 4 years and finally having one, it was a top feeling, even though it was pretty battered and didnt have a straight panel on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:22 pm 

well when i got my datto 1600 it was (still is in ruff shape) had to put ot on a trailer to get to my place. we rolled it down the drive way and i just sat in it thiinking man this is gonna be fun when its runing!

yet to start it but the day will come! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:46 pm 

well what a great day......go my datsun 1600 today at 1137am after the sellers dropped it off. then i started to clean it like mad. i have already removed the front grille and light shrouds. then i moved to the boot removing 30 years of stuff that had stuck to the metal (no rust what-so-ever) and made a new hard cover for the spare wheel....vacumed the hole thing.

tomorrow how knows....but i will prob start taking out the interior and clean it up...

graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:10 pm 

i got my datto off my bro (joint effort)
first night i had my twin 40's, locker and water droppers (onto the back wheels). i took it to St. kilda carpark, the biggest wettest carpark i could find and found the datsun difference while ldiscovering opposite lock ringies aswell as the first time i drove a manual
i was driving my mothers Vr wagon auto whilst on my L's, and it was quite a shock to learn that not all cars had bodyroll and not all cars understeered

S2 TRX: SuckThru Turbo: RETIRED
MR30 Hatch: Daily Driver: SOLD
720 King Cab: Daily Driver V2: SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:14 pm 

I just picked up my 67 bluebird wagon today (with a trailer), 300ks round trip, but it was worth it. All cleaned up and running now, so the fun can begin.
Chris

73 240ZG replica under construcion (grandprix white, fender mirrors and watanabes :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:36 pm 

arrived at the guy who i was buying it off's house at night(7.30pm) pissing down rain, uninsured with its little 12a carbie turbo, no intercooler with dimister's that hadn't a hope of working, realised what opposite lock was really about, and that fwd i had before, would never be owned again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:37 am 

Got my first 1600 when i was 19/20 (i'm 32 now) had L18 with twin su's extractors & a 2" exhaust, fanged it all the way home giggling like a hairy spider and loving every minute, bin hooked on 1600's ever since, onto my sixth and had a few other cars in between, but keep coming back to the sweet 16 :wink:

Formally: 510 L22B twin webber terror
510 FJ20et (510 FJ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:25 pm 

The first day i got my Datto was after school, My cheque had been cleared and i rang the d00d with the sixteen. My parents were working so i got my mates dad to drive it home for me. Fair tidy! :P I was so happy ready to brag the next day. I removed the seat covers, visor and the "i am a volunteer sticker" of my car!!!! :wink: Now shes a pearler! I then had to wait 10 days befori could get my L's!