Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:40 pm 

not sure if anyone has done this thread,
I am seeing alot of people cutting there rubbers to remove there windscreens :shock: :lol:

the best and easiest way i have found is to get a piece of rope (approx half inch thick x 2.5 mtrs long)
From the inside of the car,tuck the rope in behind the rubber seal all the way around.do this to the top and the sides.once you have the rope holding the seals outwards.gently push the screen outwards.
some times i use a spoon or something none sharp to push the rope in behind it if the rubber is old.
this method allows you to reuse your rubber,doesnt create any mess and no chance of cutting yourself :idea:
i will put a pic of this up soon,just to make sure its understood properly :wink:

GET THAT DATSUN DIFFERENCE!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:40 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Ive removed 1600 windows a few times now. I first practiced on a couple wrecked (KE55?) Corollas.
Lucky too as i broke one the first time but have since done all of my datsun 1600 window rubbers that were worth saving.
(just cut the rubbers off if they are cracked or not needed again).
Heres how i did it neway:

Removal;
Ensure wiper blades are removed or out of the way.
Helps if interior rear vision mirror is removed also.
Cover the bonnet and leafbox with a rug (incase window slides/falls on the paint etc).
Firstly get someone to help you.
Get them to sit in the left hand side chair and hold a bit of pressure evenly on the top of the window with both feet.
With this foot pressure held on the inside of the window start to pry rubber lip off of the inside top corner of the window.
Slowly work your way across the top of the window where the pressure is being held on the inside.
Work your way back and forth along the lip of the rubber and you will notice the window start to push away in this corner.
The window glass will flex slightly but dont push it too hard, or it will crack and break!
When it does start to push outward slightly, shuffle the feet across the window bit by bit levering the rubber lip away as you move across and work towards the right side.
When you get past the middle of the window, get the person assisting to sit in the right hand side chair etc to put pressure on the right side as you go.
When the top right side of the window eventually starts to push forward, start to work down both sides of the windscreen starting at the top of each corner and working down.
The window will pivot forward and away eventually. The bottom of the window is the last to come out.
Make sure you catch it when it does come loose and it may be covered in black mastic (sticky messy sealant) so find a clean spot to put it down where it wont make a mess!

Installation;
I used the rope trick (6mm rope) around the rubber lip combined with a hook i made to help pull the window lip inward.
Remove both dash top covers at base of window.
Position window with rubber already mounted on it starting at the base of the window i.e reverse order to removal.
Again using someone to put pressure from the window (this time on the outside) and use your hands to work the windscreen downward whilst pulling the rubber lip inwards with the rope ends and hook to bring the window rubber back over the lip in shell.
The rope ends should meet in the middle of the bottom of the window rubber so that when they are pulled, the top section of window rubber should be the last to fit in.
A fair bit of pressure and force is required to move the rubber as it is a fairly thick section.
Be persistant and practice on a junk one first. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps...
Nick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:39 pm 

Revive this old thread, it looked to have the most information on removal/installation....
I'm about to do the same, fit my screens...

NOW.. from everyone's experience.. should I get the hoodlining fitted first? I haven't got one yet... or is it easy enough to fit the hoodlining after the screens are in?

and do you all use some windscreen sealant (sikaflex or whatever) with the new seals, or do the seal well by themselves?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:55 am 

Red510 wrote:
Revive this old thread, it looked to have the most information on removal/installation....
I'm about to do the same, fit my screens...

NOW.. from everyone's experience.. should I get the hoodlining fitted first? I haven't got one yet... or is it easy enough to fit the hoodlining after the screens are in?

and do you all use some windscreen sealant (sikaflex or whatever) with the new seals, or do the seal well by themselves?
i would fit the roof linning first,will be impossible to fit it properly with screens in

GET THAT DATSUN DIFFERENCE!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:45 pm 

Just about to put the screens back in the new rally car and I'm wondering if I should be putting any butyl mastic in the seal before putting the glass in it. Any comments would be appreciated.

(Just noticed that the front one has drain holes in the bottom corners so obliviously it shouldn't be done.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:05 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

If they are new rubbers i wouldnt bother as they should seal well.
If you do find it leaks after fitting you can still apply mastic by using a fine pointed tube nozzle and sliding it inbetween the seal lip and the body and dragging it along as you apply the mastic. Follow the cleanup instructions on the mastic tube to remove excess (from memory this is turps?)...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:32 am 

Thanks Nick. Decided since there was none put in it when the laminated screen was put in the old car by the installer that I would just clean up the rubber and put it in. As I was doing the last couple of inches of installing it in the frame the rubber wasn't seated properly and I pushed it back in with a small screwdriver and it popped back into the frame and as I pulled the screwdriver out I managed to crack the screen. Now I'll have to pull it all back out and get a new screen. Not happy with myself.

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:13 am 

Guys I'd be carefull putting any pressure on the inside of the windscreen, particularly with feet. Due to there convex shape, they are particularly strong in one direction, not so strong in the other. So pushing outward can easily crack them. Also stay away from using screwdrivers. It's just so easy to slip and scratch or crack a screen. I use plastic mountain bike tyre levers, they're a great size.
I do it a little differently, I run a rope around the outside of the window seal and body, to put a little outward pressure on the windscreen. Then with the tyre levers just push the inner lip out past the steel flange till I've gone all the way round. Worked a treat so far.
Cheers, Rob