Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:46 pm 

Ok, so I've finally started gathering the parts for my monster and though I'd just have a look at some parts I have here...

Here is what I have discovered:
L Series engines have an 8mm diameter head bolt of two different lengths(as one goes though the cam towers)
Sr20det(blacktop- from an S15) have a 9mm head bolt that is (roughly) 2-3mm longer than the long L series bolt.
They both have the same thread. I cant find any info on the torque settings for the SR bolts though, they use some ridiculous angle method.
Hacksaw the bolt to the appropriate length, file the end off the same as the originals and voila! Stronger (makes sense, they're bigger) head bolts :)

Top bolt is the SR20DET Bolt
Middle one is the long L18 bolt
Bottom is the Short L18 bolt.... plenty of thread on the SR bolt for either L series.

Now, having said all this, I will be using ARP or Moroso studs in my build as I'm going to flog the living sh*t out of this engine, but for a budget build, this would be a nice cheap upgrade.

Cheers
Jason

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
20130218_121104.jpg [ 112.18 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]