Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:25 pm 

I have been trying to fit 15' mage to my 1600 tonight. i have 1 set of 15x8 with 20p offset and another with 15x7 o offset. They both stick approx 30mm outside the guard on the front but the look like they will tuck under the rears nice. Im running 910 struts and dont know if this is the reason and do they push wheels further out.

I dont want to have to flare the guards on the front as then i will have to do the rears and i like 510s as they are. i dont really know what to do as there aye not many old school looking wheels with high offsets so a bit confused on what to do.

Anyone got any ideas on any other wheels or options etc. Below are a few pics so let me know your thoughts on them.

15x8 20p offset

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

15x7 0 offset
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:43 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

15" mags arnt a problem but 8" wide mags on the front are.
To fit 8's you need a combination of the right offset rim, the right amount of negative camber and the right strut which can mount the rim as far inward as possible. That and skinny stretched tyres.
Drop the rim width down to a 6" or 7 with correct offset or change your struts and camber etc...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:48 pm 

nick wrote:
15" mags arnt a problem but 8" wide mags on the front are.
To fit 8's you need a combination of the right offset rim, the right amount of negative camber and the right strut which can mount the rim as far inward as possible. That and skinny stretched tyres.
Drop the rim width down to a 6" or 7 with correct offset or change your struts and camber etc...
What struts are the best to tuck the wheel in more. Do 910 struts push them outside the guard more??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:54 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I havent had much to do with 910 struts but it is possible they have a different offset.
Afaik 280zx struts sit the wheel in further than std 1600 (might go well with those 15x7 0-offset with a bit of negative camber).
R31 struts sit a little further out than std but allow a more positive offset rim e.g. 15x7 +30 etc....

You really need to measure the 910 struts and compare with std to see what you will need to change first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:03 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

What camber do you intend to run ? How do you intend to get that camber ? How much clearance do you have between the rim and the strut tube at the moment ? Fitting adjustable strut tops will enable you to pull the strut top inwards and fit everything in better. Since it looks like a racecar, you can (and probably should) run a decent amount of camber.

And yeah, as mentioned, 15x8 rims and 0 offset rims are going to be pushing it....

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:49 pm 
Guru

0 offset rims will also result more scrub radius angle.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 pm 

Quote:
0 offset rims will also result more scrub radius angle.
This is very important on a 1600. You dont want a large scrub radius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 pm 

Sorry for sounding dumb but what us a scrub radius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 pm 

Scrub radius it the distance from the center of the tire to the imaginary line drawn from the stut top through the bottom ball joint to the bottom of the tyre
+ve scrub radius is a measurement from the pivot point outwards to the center of the tyre
-ve scrub radius it a measurment that is from the pivot point inwards to the center of the tyre

-ve scrub radius's are reserved for front wheel drive cars to help prevent torque steer

The following image shows a small +ve scrub radius on the left and a larger +ve scrub radius on the right.

Excessive +ve scrub radius's (putting low offset wheels on a 1600) created a moment arm around the tire pivot point and creates steering instability when cornering and hitting bumps. Can lead to the see saw action on the steering wheel that is very common in a 1600 when cornering.
Ideal i believe would be a slight +ve scrub radius. This allows the driver to have "wheel/tyre" feedback through the steering
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
scrub radius.jpg [ 138.76 KiB | Viewed 3053 times ]
Edit above image is not quite correct. The line from the strut top should go though the bottom ball joint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:50 pm 

Other method to obtain camber, get strut stubs bent upwards, it puts a bulge in lower strut tube, no biggie, but then weld in front and back some gussets from strut tube to back of stub axle plate, this stops flex and gives better road feel.

You should be able to pull top of wheel in a bit, BUT, you just might have to be prepared to lip and roll the guards a bit.
While at it, some threaded castor rods will help the steering, but at that size rim with tyre, it may need lower frint edge of each guard trimmed.

With your rear rims, watch for tyre fouling on lower control arm, and up inside inner guard, there is a inverted hump, it will hit.
Sorry to ruin a very nice paint job for you!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:11 pm 

just a bit of camber and a 195 on the 8 should fit sweet im going to run 15x8 0s on mine ill make them fit i dont care about car will handle like crap or scrub radius's i have another set of rims for grip :P :thumbsup:

prev rides:
1970 datsun 1600 wp510 project SOLD
1969 datsun 1600: SIMS metal
1984 KE70 corolla:defected/crushed
1985 KE70 corolla:SOLD
1982 KE70 4AGE drift pig SOLD
1978 120Y wagon SOLD