Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:10 am 

Hi All,

I finally got around to removing the paint from one of the quarters on my Datsun 1600 tonight and I’ve found a few holes where the rust bubbles were. Kind of expected it but I was hoping to find some pristine steel under the paint! Aren’t we all!

Anyway I’m hoping to get some input from people who’ve done their quarters before… Should I patch the panel with individual sections of sheet metal or get a replacement lower quarter panel section? Check out the pictures and let me know what you think… any inputs will be greatly appreciated! There’s only one hole on the inner panel visible from outside, and quite a few in the outer panel at the boot floor level, the bottom and around the back corner section.

So far I see the benefits of each as follows:

Pros for using a proprietary replacement lower quarter replacement panel:

- Knowing it’s done properly and ensuring I get all the rust and areas with section loss without the chance of missing some
- Access to inner panel to properly inspect, clean, carry out any repairs to inners and properly protect / coat inside
- Assume it will be a better outcome and look better

Pros for replacing individual sections / areas with sheet metal:

- Probably easier(?), except for the corner section which is likely to be pretty hard to shape
- Cheaper (although don’t mind paying some extra for a better result)

I haven’t ever replaced a lower quarter before so I’m not super confident and a little reluctant. That being said I’ve replaced and welded in a number of sections already and seam welded the shell using the mig so willing to give it a go. How hard can it be?! Hopefully I don’t regret saying that! :oops:

If I end up grabbing a lower quarter replacement panel I’m assuming from the posts I’ve read that I should go the Nissco as it appears to have the best fit and will require the least effort to fit. It’s just a fair bit more expensive! Any cheaper alternatives people recommend? I’ve read a bunch of bad reports for other brands

Also, should I be using POR15 on the inner before I weld in the new patches / repair section or some other product? Plan on fish oiling / waxing it all after repaired.

Thanks heaps for any input.

Cheers,

Chris

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Quarter Panel 004.jpg [ 288.92 KiB | Viewed 1652 times ]
[ attachment ]
Quarter Panel 025.jpg [ 267.36 KiB | Viewed 1652 times ]
[ attachment ]
Quarter Panel 015.jpg [ 369.38 KiB | Viewed 1652 times ]
[ attachment ]
Quarter Panel 017.jpg [ 321.54 KiB | Viewed 1652 times ]
[ attachment ]
Quarter Panel 020.jpg [ 329.93 KiB | Viewed 1652 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:46 am 

Man i wish my rear quarters looked like that! you should be able to just mig up the wholes that pretty much is pristine steel champ!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 pm 

Where there is some rust there is more, so although you only have little holes on one side if you looked at the back you'd find a whole rusty section, that has only gone through the total metal thickness in a few spots.
I'd probably go repair sections and if the nisco ones ARE actually that much better than go for them, it'll just make life much easier.
I used rust bullet on everything before putting my repair sections on.....but no idea if that's the best way to go or not yet, get back to you in 10 years time! :P
This is what the inside of my rear lower 1/4s looked like inside and out, a few holes on the outside, but the rust is obviously more extensive (although not over the top or anything) on the inside. I just like to have it all out and then some personally :).
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:17 pm 

i reckon change the whole lot because i could almost guarentee there's alot of rust on the inside of that panel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:31 pm 

I always use new material, inners,outers and all those sandwich seems in our Dattos are prone to rust. I make new sections personally that way i can decide which material will suit application. If you have gained confidence doing what you have already done, have a go at making some weld ins... Take your time, measure twice and cut once, in fact i dont cut anything out till i have templated and roughed in a new one. only my opinion though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:40 pm 

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about it all morning and decided to go out to Nissco this arvo and grab some lower sections. Given I’m going this far with the rest of the car I may as well spend the extra time and money to do it properly. And thanks for the suggestion but I don’t think I’m quite up to making new outers just yet, especially with the dished section, and am running out of time before I pack it all up and go overseas for a while.

Skitzone, I agree, I should be happy with only finding the amount of rust I found, especially after seeing some of the quarters other people are working with on this forum! I’m sure I could just weld up the holes but I know that the unknown would always be playing in the back of my mind.

Nebuchernezzer, Thanks for the pics… tells the story I’m hoping I’ll now avoid! Yours looked pretty damn good from outside but you never know until you cut them open hey.

The plan is to remove the existing quarters, clean the inners with a wire wheel, replace any sections of the inners with sheet metal, rust convert, sandpaper, thinners, POR15 and then weld in the new section. I plan on masking out the spot welded seam areas of both panels and paint those sections with weld through primer so there’s no problem with the plug welds.

Should I be taking the paint back on the inside of the new panel and replace it with POR while I have access? Also, after I’m finished I was thinking I could get a long brush and try and get some POR down in between the two plys of the seam joint where I’ve put the weld through primer, but fish oil / wax may be better suited to this… any comments?

Here’s some pics of the sections I bought. I’m going to go back tomorrow morning and see if I can swap one out as the depth of the lower return is a bit uneven and the front return where it matches into the existing panel at the wheel arch is quite narrow so there will be a big step in the line of the return and it may be difficult to plug weld to the inner. I guess they’re not going to be perfect hey so will have to make do.

Cheers,

Chris

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_2941.jpg [ 257.48 KiB | Viewed 1585 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_2944.jpg [ 235.02 KiB | Viewed 1585 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_2946.jpg [ 55.68 KiB | Viewed 1585 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_2948.jpg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 1585 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_2949.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 1585 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:22 am 

The saga continues… I managed to cut out the old lower quarter today and [of course] I’ve uncovered a bit of a mess. After wire wheeling out the inner panel I’ve found a few small holes, pitting and section loss. The inner fender (assume that’s the name) at the wheel arch also has quite a few little holes and pitting. I’ve hit it all up with some convertor and let it work it’s magic over night.

Making a new lower fender / wheel arch section looks quite involved - there’s quite a few shapes involved and it would no doubt take me ages! The inner quarter would also be pretty difficult. I’ll make the corner section in the boot floor as this won’t be hard and is completely rusted out.

Any suggestions on what I should do regarding the inner quarter and the fender / wheel arch section? Would it be a bad idea to just weld the holes closed and coat it all in POR, or do I really need to make new sections? I’m a little tight for time but will do what’s necessary for a good outcome.

Any [more] feedback / inputs would be appreciated [again]! :hail:

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Quarter Panel 042.jpg [ 400.58 KiB | Viewed 1566 times ]
[ attachment ]
Quarter Panel 051.jpg [ 323 KiB | Viewed 1566 times ]
[ attachment ]
Quarter Panel 063.jpg [ 295.15 KiB | Viewed 1566 times ]
[ attachment ]
Quarter Panel 062.jpg [ 251.62 KiB | Viewed 1566 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:51 am 

Hey Chris,

I had mine made by the panel shop. Depends on your budget. The ones they made were a perfect fit.

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:12 pm 

Hey trent,
Trying to limit the budget a little as I'm 3 weeks away from an expensive year of unemployment! Thinking I'm going to see if I can weld some holes closed and then POR it and install the new outer so I can't see it anymore! Given its relatively non critical location and the fact that it's not completely gone I feel that the POR should give me a reasonable outcome.... Hopefully!
You still working too hard? Your page has been relatively quiet recently.
Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 pm 

Hey Chris,

Fair enough, I guess you can turn the welder down and see how you go. Just trial and error. Maybe just make up some small sections for the really bad areas and then leave the rest...

Yes I have been working 16 hours a day 7 days a week past few weeks so no datto progress :( I did have today off to go for a drive which was great!

Good luck with it all!

Cheers,

Trent