Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:12 pm 

Note: This is going to be a cut and paste from a more current and up-to-date forum I belong to

My name is Tristin and although Im not new to building cars, I am new to Datsuns I joined this forum months ago in the hopes of buying a B210 sedan I saw listed on here, but unfortunately I wasnt able to purchase it. Ive liked Datsuns for awhile and finally was able to pick one up in good condition for a great price. Its in awesome condition for its age, though its not perfect. There is a bit of surface rust in some areas and the paint if faded in most places, but there is no rot. Rockers are 100% complete, no floorboard holes, no trunk rust. For her age, shes great. I have some plans for her in the future, but the first things that are going to get take care of with be maintenance related and some of the more important aspects.

Current Issues:
No weather sealing on doors
Heater is crap (I live in Washington... its a must)
Stalls on hard accelerating from a stop
Dash lights are half blown
Ignition is loose (twists when you want to start the car)
Front seats are shredded
Rear seat cover needs replaced (foam and springs are perfect)
Carpet is wicked dirty
Stereo is non-op

Future Plans:
Coilovers
Rims
Wilwood BBK
SR Swap (not sure which version yet)
Aussie rear Venetian blind
Aussie sun visor
JDM fender mirrors
Center console
MKI duckbill

Im not going to get crazy with it, but I would like to update the vehicle to current times. Once I get cracking on the maintenance it should be a great DD as Im going to use it when I go back to school in the Summer. Im going to try to keep everything original looking if possible and only change things if I must. Im going to try to keep the original paint color, interior colors, no garish front bumper colors, no ridiculous fender flares. Clean and simple is the way I like it. Anyway, here are the pictures as it currently sits. I just returned from a 3hr drive to pick her up. Enjoy and stay tuned!

[ img ] [ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:18 pm 

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm 

Oh! The only other photo I have of it currently:

[ img ]

We stopped at Voodoo dounts in Portland on the way home. You can see the Datto in the background while I enjoy a maple and bacon donut.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 pm 

Spent a few hours at my buddies shop (www.boss-innovations.com) to check out some of the issues. Unfortunately we couldnt replicate the stalling issue and since neither of us know anything about carbs, we didnt figure it out. Im going to open the hood tomorrow or this weekend and see if I cant figure it out. I did fix the ignition so it no longer twists... Turns out the bezel was just loose. I added some sealant (similar to RTV) and tightened it back down. We swept out the interior- found 25 cents- and reinstalled the carpet. It was in great condition with only a medium sized hole. Im going to keep the original carpet and just clean it up. It could use a thorough cleaning, but its in great shape. Last I removed the bumper stops for a cleaner look and now theyre just chillin' in my parts box.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Also, whomever talked crap about the sunroof wins an e-cookie. Its in decent shape... except for the part where its fully caulked in. I tried to open it because it was a nice drive, and couldnt... I thought I was sally-fisting it, but once I got it in the shop and took a look at it; I saw this:

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:26 pm 

So the weather seals showed up today, my backseat cover solution has shipped, and I got an email saying that my lenses made it into the country (since I bought them from a Mexican Ebay member). My parts collection is ever increasing. Ive done a bit of searching around, and for smaller parts Im looking at... its going to cost me about $1000 unless I get a few parts used. Over all not too bad.

[ img ]

And my FSM showed up so let the learning begin!

Unfortunately the backseat in the Datto wasnt the best. The previous owner said it was a POS so he took over the vinyl cover to have it redone. Well that never happened... so now I have a foam and filler backseat that Im scared to ruin. ALl this means I have to rock the car as a two-seater and cant put anything in the back. The seat itself (save the cover) is in great condition and I want to keep it that way. It looks like this:

[ img ]

A little dirty, but foam is perfect.

I figured I wanted to recover the seat, but I want to do all the seats in the same style and dont have the money to do that yet. What am I to do?! I had a fantastic idea born in my heritage as a mexican Southern Californian and decided to purchase a new cover in a color that matched the car. Now I give you this:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Its not the most elegant solution, but it works. It allows me to have people in the seat and put groceries etc without the threat of ruining the foam. Now I can just wash the blanket instead of trying to wash foam and weird hay filler. Its not perfect yet, as its kind of loosely held on there, but I think Im going to buy some of those elastic sheet stays to stretch it a little tighter and make sure it staying in postion. For $30 I think it will be great.

Last edited by tristinGrind on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:26 pm 

Just a few pictures to back up the previous post:

Here are the rims that I received that will go on as soon as I can find some suitable rubber:

[ img ]

Within these boxes are a set of GL tail lights and replacement lenses for the stock tail lights:

[ img ]

I was suppose to head down to Tacoma to meet up with a bunch of guys, but while picking up supplies at Home Depot the car started to act weird. I didnt want to take my chances so I called off driving down there unti lI could check it out. Instead I decided to refinish the tail lights back to they way they originally looked. They were in great condition, but unfortunately they were a bit weathered. Anyway, here are some oics:

Before:

[ img ]

After:

[ img ]

You can view my write-up of the procedure here: http://tinyurl.com/84a58px

Thats what I figured about the pump. Im not looking to change it now, my only concern was the lack of fuel delivery which has already been solved. As requested, heres whats inside the boxes:

(Left is going on the front and right is going on the back)

[ img ] [ img ]
*Note: they are both 15's

They have a bit of rash on one of them and the paint isnt the best in the center. Im thinking of taking them to a place to have the rash fixed, the centers powdercoated, new hardware, and the barrels polished. It might be a pretty penny, but I think it will be worth it to have them looking their best when I finally go to put them on.

Last edited by tristinGrind on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:28 pm 

[ img ]

Minor update today:

I received the last envelope of vinyl from Jun. While applying them I went into a 20min conversation with a neighbors mother on Datsuns; she was really excited to see it.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Well, my buddy who owns and operates BOSS Innovations down in Tacoma, Wa is having a grand re-opening this Saturday. He recently moved shop locations and is having a big meet of all makes and models this weekend so I figured I would go down and help out with the last minute things to get ready. Anyway, while I was down there he hooked me up with a little metal-work. I ran into a slight problem as there is a small dent in the rear. My new GL lights were mounted with the exception of the finisher plate. Was a pretty easy install with the only exception being the unflat area where the finisher is suppose to be. When I get ready for paint we will pull the dent and install the third piece of the lights.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

I really wish the rear of the car was straighter so that I could continue the install, but oh well. Just a few more pieces I have to acquire before I can paint the car...

Last edited by tristinGrind on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:29 pm 

Couple things for today-

Well, due to unforeseen circumstances with family matters I was busy all day. I had a bunch of plans for today but all of the were cancelled... I was suppose to call Diamond Racing Wheels today, but wasnt able to get to them before the closed, especially with the time difference. Looks like I will have to call them on Monday. I still hope they can get here by Thursday.

A couple days ago I was at my buddies shop hanging out. I was watching them with a customers 2Jz swapped 240sx; its a beast and is getting ready for the upcoming drift event at Evergreen Raceway. Anyway, while I was down there I got a free 2G Talon center console. With a little trimming and repainting it works out great... its the best option since its free.

Using a dremel for cutting off the shifter area and utilizing the how-to I posted, you go from this:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

To this:

[ img ]

Its not the best thing, but it allows me to rock a cup-holder and I have a place to rest my arm while Im driving. It will do for a while anyway. Ill post pictures in the morning when I install it.

*And yes... thats a unicycle.

Here is an installed picture:

[ img ]

Last edited by tristinGrind on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:31 pm 

While surfing the net I stumbled upon a picture that got me thinking. Ive never seen a vinyl roofed 510 that looked any good because they were all work tattered original pieces. I finally saw this:

[ img ]

Looking over the other pictures available on this car, man oh man... its clean as hell. Now this car is a '69 so I wont break my rule of try to keep it period or model correct (hence trying to keep my white walls) and I think it will just give it that little bit extra. What does everyone think? Yes or no on the vinyl top? I think if done correctly it can come out looking great... vinyl tops were the sh*t back in the day. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:31 pm 

So driving to a work thing this morning, the engine started sputtering... it was fine with no gas going down the street, but as soon as you started giving it some gas it would get all crazy idle on me. I couldnt get the car above 50mph and I was on the freeway (60mph limit). I got on surface streets and babied it the rest of the way. I had an appointment I couldnt miss so I had to go the distance; I didnt have time to call a cab and no one was close enough to give me a ride. I had these same exact symptoms a couple weekends ago which is what made me miss the last Graffiti Garage meet. I thought it was bad gas that weekend because I had just filled it up at a place I dont normally. Needless to say, it fixed itself.

So back to today, I get out of my appointment and as Im going home I get the same symptoms and now I cant break 35mph. Cars are lined up behind me as Im going super slow and sputtering down the street. I pull off safely and start to do some investigating. I figure its a fuel issue and look at the carb sight glass- barely any gas. I check the fuel filter- barely any gas. I open my trunk and I almost pass out from the fumes. Ive been watching my gas gauge a lot lately because it seems that empty shows 1/4 on the gauge. Ive been doing a lot of math to see what my mpg is and I feel like I should be getting a lot more. The car has smelled like gas for awhile now, but assumed that it was because of my missing door seals and that Im running a little rich. Well it wasnt.

Turns out my breather hose connected to the filler hose into my tank has come loose. I didnt think it was that important, but apparently it is. I connected it up, drove for about 4 blocks and had the same symptoms again. I checked the hose again and it was apart. I tightened it back up, and down the road I went. So... Im not sure if its supposed to be that important, but Im about 97% sure thats what my issue is.

So looks like I have to find a new longer hose to make sure it stays together.

So now everyone is up to date. There are a few things that I cut out because 1). I already posted a crap-load of info my first day. 2). I mostly just grabbed the ones with pictures because thats what most people care about. Ive changed a bit of my plans for this build since my initial posting, but it may have been left out due to the copy and pasting. If you have any questions or comments I would appreciate them. Thanks for having me on the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:00 pm 
Guru

The rear seat covers match the colour quite well.
The same covers on the front seats would be nice.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 pm 

LOVE THE REAR SAET COVER :rofl: good to see you impraviseing, id do the same!! love the vinyl roof on the 1600 (510) looks sik!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:42 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Welcome to the forum Tristin.
69 model 510's are one of my favourite.
You are sure to learn alot working on your Datsun.
Thanks for sharing the pics. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:32 am 

Maple & Bacon Donut.... wtf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:47 am 

Baz wrote:
The rear seat covers match the colour quite well.
The same covers on the front seats would be nice.
drfita1600 wrote:
LOVE THE REAR SAET COVER :rofl: good to see you impraviseing, id do the same!! love the vinyl roof on the 1600 (510) looks sik!!
Thanks for the compliments on the seat cover. Its a common motif in the area Im originally from, so I thought it was fun and cheap alternative to spending the money to have the seats recovered right now. Eventually they will be done, but right now this is the best option. Glad you guys like it.
nick wrote:
Welcome to the forum Tristin.
69 model 510's are one of my favourite.
You are sure to learn alot working on your Datsun.
Thanks for sharing the pics. :thumbsup:
Thanks again for pointing me here Nick. Ill have a look around and soak up what I can.
24TKman wrote:
Maple & Bacon Donut.... wtf
Its a little weird here in the States too, but its a common spin-off for donuts at this place. Its not as bad as you think. They have all sorts of donuts at this place that are a little "off." Most of them delicious though.

Thanks again for all the warm welcome guys.